A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

Everything About Tomatoes
User avatar
HL2601
Reactions: 55
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Location: Metro Denver
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#21

Post: # 13269Unread post HL2601
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Here is the link to thread on the other site :
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p ... post754093
I am putting together a list of what I know so far people are growing between the two forums for the tribute. Stay tuned.
0

User avatar
HL2601
Reactions: 55
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Location: Metro Denver
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#22

Post: # 13270Unread post HL2601
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Hi all!
For clarity's sake here is the list so far of what folks are attempting to grow out for the tribute. The ones that are taken are in red.Please let me know if I have missed some!

100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden
Carolyn J. Male
1. Aker’s West Virginia
2. Amish Paste
3. Amish Salad
4. Andrew Rahart’s Jumbo Red
5. Anna Russian
6. Aunt Ginny’s Purple

7. Aunt Ruby’s German Green
8. Basinga
9. Big Rainbow
10. Black From Tula
11. Box Car Willie

12. Brandywine OTV
13. Brandywine Pink ( Sudduth Strain)
14. Brandywine Red
15. Brandywine Yellow ( Platfoot Strain)
16. Break O’ Day
17. Brianna
18. Bulgarian #7
19. Bulgarian Triumph
20. Cherokee Chocolate
21. Cherokee Purple
22. Chris Ukrainian
23. Crnkovic Yugoslavian
24. Cuostralee
25. Debbie
26. Dr. Carolyn
27. Dr. Lyle
28. Dr. Neal
29. Dr. Wyche’s Yellow
30. Druzba
31. Earl of Edgecombe
32. Eva Purple Ball
33. Germaid Red
34. German Head
35. German Red Strawberry
36. Gogosha
37. Gold Ball, Livingston’s
38. Golden queen (USDA Strain)
39. Green ( Dorothy’s Green)
40. Green Gage
41. Green Grape
42. Green Zebra
43. Grosse Cotelee
44. Heidi
45. Herman’s Yellow
46. Hugh’s
47. Hungarian Oval
48. Jaune Flammee
49. Jaune Negib
50. Jefferson Giant
51. Kellogg’s Breakfast
52. Kiev
53. Large Pink Bulgarian
54. Lida Ukrainian
55. Lillian’s Yellow Heirloom
56. Manyel
57. Marizol Gold
58. Martino’s Roma
59. Mary Ann
60. Matchless ( Austin Strain)
61. Matina
62. Mortgage Lifter (Estler’s)
63. Mule Team

64. Nectarine
65. Nicky CRAIN
66. Noir de Crimee
67. Olena Ukrainian
68. Omar’s Lebanese
69. Opalka

70. Orange Strawberry
71. Pale Perfect Purple
72. Peach Blow Sutton
73. Pink Ice
74. Pink Ping Pong
75. Pink Sweet
76. Plum Lemon
77. Polish C
78. Rasp Large Red
79. Redfield Beauty
80. Red Pear
81. Red Penna
82. Regina’s Yellow
83. Reif Red Heart
84. Riesentraube
85. Russian #117
86. Sandul Moldovan
87. Santa Clara Canner
88. Soldacki
89. Sophie’s Choice
90. Stupice

91. Sutton
92. Tangella
93. Tiffen Menonite
94. Ukrainian Heart ( o’Neill Strain)
95. Ukrainian Heart ( TNMUJ Strain)
96. White Queen
97. Wins All
98. Wuhib
99. Yellow Pear
100. Zogola

ADDED VARIETIES-from her offerings
1.Durmitor
2.Moravski Div
3.Orange Minsk
4.Pervaya Lyubov
5.Toedebusch Pink
1
Last edited by HL2601 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FarmerShawn
Reactions: 37
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#23

Post: # 13291Unread post FarmerShawn
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:02 am

It seems that you haven't yet included my list, as several that I grow every year, as well as some that I have older seeds for, are not highlighted.
0

FarmerShawn
Reactions: 37
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#24

Post: # 13293Unread post FarmerShawn
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:10 am

Rajun Gardener wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:49 pm
You can send me a few of the oldest seeds and I'll get them going to pass out fresh seeds for next year. I'll send them back to you or the MMMM swap.
Great! How many varieties can you do? And, do you want to choose the ones you want?
Shawn
0

User avatar
Rajun Gardener
Reactions: 1049
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:00 am
Location: Lafayette La
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#25

Post: # 13296Unread post Rajun Gardener
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:30 am

I just sent you a PM. I can grow 4 types and you can pick them.
0
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

User avatar
PNW_D
Reactions: 18
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:23 pm
Location: Pacific North West
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#26

Post: # 13317Unread post PNW_D
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Do we post here if we plan to grow any noted above?

Did my sowing yesterday ..... none on list ....... but noticed I have no greens ...... sooo

Checked my stash and have original Green Grape from Tania via Tom ...seed from 2008 so fingers crossed - going in today
0
Zone 8b

User avatar
HL2601
Reactions: 55
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Location: Metro Denver
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#27

Post: # 13318Unread post HL2601
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:26 pm

Yes, please post here!
Great PNW- will add Green Grape to the master list.
0

clara
Reactions: 165
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:02 pm
Location: Germany near Cologne
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#28

Post: # 13340Unread post clara
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:46 pm

I'm very sorry, but my Stupice vial is empty, sigh... I've started Orange Strawberry instead.
0
per aspera ad astra

Gardadore
Reactions: 57
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:15 am
Location: NE PA zone 6
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#29

Post: # 13419Unread post Gardadore
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:36 pm

I see I already have Reif Red Heart and Orange Minsk on my 2020 grow list but neglected to mention it so mark me down to grow those. Once I get home I should be able to rearrange things to grow a few more if needed.
0

User avatar
HL2601
Reactions: 55
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Location: Metro Denver
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#30

Post: # 13448Unread post HL2601
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:00 pm

New revised grow list ;listed in first post.
1

User avatar
Rajun Gardener
Reactions: 1049
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:00 am
Location: Lafayette La
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#31

Post: # 13450Unread post Rajun Gardener
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:08 pm

HL2601 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:00 pm
New revised grow list ;listed in first post.
Sorry for making you work more, I should've gave you the varieties Shaun is sending me. I'll grow these Cuostrolee, Dr. Lyle, Noire de Cremee, and Reisentraub.
0
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

User avatar
HL2601
Reactions: 55
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Location: Metro Denver
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#32

Post: # 13452Unread post HL2601
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Not a problem. An easy edit ;) ;)
1

seasyde
Reactions: 7
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm
Location: WA zone 8b
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#33

Post: # 13679Unread post seasyde
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am

My grow list is still evolving, but I'll commit to Break O'Day. There may be more later as things change.
0

User avatar
HL2601
Reactions: 55
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Location: Metro Denver
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#34

Post: # 13746Unread post HL2601
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:26 pm

HL2601 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:39 pm
I posted this on another forum but wanted to make sure anyone who wants to participate can.
Here is the post-
So, many here want to honor Carolyn and her contribution. How about this for a tribute? In her book she highlighted 100 top favorites and several that almost made the cut, I can't think of a better tribute than if the tomato community grew out the varieties she listed and then did a mass distribution. Maybe individuals could be in charge of growing 1 or more varieties from the list. They could save seed in pkgs of 5 seeds so more packets could be distributed. It could be run sort of like an MMMM. I could keep the running list of which varieties are being grown. UPDATE-By popular demand- this also includes any varieties Carolyn offered or that she spoke about highly.

People would have a deadline to send in labeled baggies by Nov 1, 2020. A redistribution to participants and others could occur in January 2021. We could then assure some of the more obscure varieties don't disappear. Her spirit would live on throughout the world as many grow in Carolyn's honor. Experienced gardeners and site newbies welcome. Any interest? If so,please post which variety(ies) you are going to grow below in this thread.
Please let me know if I have missed any.

I got my book out, and here is her list: Varieties in red are being grown.
100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden
by Carolyn J. Male

1. Aker’s West Virginia
2. Amish Paste
3. Amish Salad
4. Andrew Rahart’s Jumbo Red
5. Anna Russian
6. Aunt Ginny’s Purple
7. Aunt Ruby’s German Green

8. Basinga
9. Big Rainbow
10. Black From Tula
11. Box Car Willie
12. Brandywine OTV
13. Brandywine Pink ( Sudduth Strain)
14. Brandywine Red
15. Brandywine Yellow ( Platfoot Strain)

16. Break O’ Day
17. Brianna
18. Bulgarian #7
19. Bulgarian Triumph
20. Cherokee Chocolate
21. Cherokee Purple
22. Chris Ukrainian
23. Crnkovic Yugoslavian
24. Cuostralee
25. Debbie
26. Dr. Carolyn
27. Dr. Lyle
28. Dr. Neal
29. Dr. Wyche’s Yellow
30. Druzba
31. Earl of Edgecombe
32. Eva Purple Ball
33. Germaid Red
34. German Head
35. German Red Strawberry
36. Gogosha
37. Gold Ball, Livingston’s
38. Golden queen (USDA Strain)
39. Green ( Dorothy’s Green)
40. Green Gage
41. Green Grape
42. Green Zebra
43. Grosse Cotelee
44. Heidi

45. Herman’s Yellow
46. Hugh’s
47. Hungarian Oval
48. Jaune Flammee
49. Jaune Negib
50. Jefferson Giant
51. Kellogg’s Breakfast
52. Kiev
53. Large Pink Bulgarian
54. Lida Ukrainian
55. Lillian’s Yellow Heirloom
56. Manyel
57. Marizol Gold
58. Martino’s Roma
59. Mary Ann
60. Matchless ( Austin Strain)originally misidentified- 'Quarter Century' (an old, historic dwarf variety from Burpee).
61. Matina
62. Mortgage Lifter(Estler's)
63. Mule Team
64. Nectarine
65. Nicky CRAIN
66. Noir de Crimee
67. Olena Ukrainian
68. Omar’s Lebanese
69. Opalka
70. Orange Strawberry

71. Pale Perfect Purple
72. Peach Blow Sutton
73. Pink Ice
74. Pink Ping Pong
75. Pink Sweet
76. Plum Lemon
77. Polish C
78. Rasp Large Red
79. Redfield Beauty
80. Red Pear
81. Red Penna
82. Regina’s Yellow
83. Reif Red Heart
84. Riesentraube
85. Russian #117 orange and yellow
86. Sandul Moldovan
87. Santa Clara Canner
88. Soldacki
89. Sophie’s Choice
90. Stupice

91. Sutton
92. Tangella
93. Tiffen Menonite
94. Ukrainian Heart ( o’Neill Strain)
95. Ukrainian Heart ( TNMUJ Strain)
96. White Queen
97. Wins All
98. Wuhib

99. Yellow Pear
100. Zogola
ADDED VARIETIES-from her offerings
1.Durmitor
2.Moravskyi Div
3.Orange Minsk
4.Pervaya Lyubov
5.Toedebusch Pink

6. HeShPole-
7. Dikovinka
8. That Russian Tomato
9. Schokoladnaja Sosulka
10. Galina
0

VeggieGal
Reactions: 4
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:06 am
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#35

Post: # 13807Unread post VeggieGal
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:37 am

I just registered at this site because this grow out sounds like such an uplifting project for these times.

Some of my favs are ones others love and are already growing. But I will be glad to take a couple that are not my favorites. Yellow Pear is one. I have seed from 3 sources. Also, Plum Lemon - my seed is old but I have a lot. I will give it a wake up pep talk before sowing - and maybe try some of Carolyn's suggestions, too!

User avatar
Tormato
Reactions: 126
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#36

Post: # 13839Unread post Tormato
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 pm

I'll chime in that the MMMM swap will be back for 2020. I will add a "Carolyn" category.

User avatar
HL2601
Reactions: 55
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Location: Metro Denver
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#37

Post: # 13841Unread post HL2601
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm

HL2601 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:39 pm
I posted this on another forum but wanted to make sure anyone who wants to participate can.
Here is the post-
So, many here want to honor Carolyn and her contribution. How about this for a tribute? In her book she highlighted 100 top favorites and several that almost made the cut, I can't think of a better tribute than if the tomato community grew out the varieties she listed and then did a mass distribution. Maybe individuals could be in charge of growing 1 or more varieties from the list. They could save seed in pkgs of 5 seeds so more packets could be distributed. It could be run sort of like an MMMM. I could keep the running list of which varieties are being grown. UPDATE-By popular demand- this also includes any varieties Carolyn offered or that she spoke about highly.

People would have a deadline to send in labeled baggies by Nov 1, 2020. A redistribution to participants and others could occur in January 2021. We could then assure some of the more obscure varieties don't disappear. Her spirit would live on throughout the world as many grow in Carolyn's honor. Experienced gardeners and site newbies welcome. Any interest? If so,please post which variety(ies) you are going to grow below in this thread.
Please let me know if I have missed any.

I got my book out, and here is her list: Varieties in red are being grown.
100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden
by Carolyn J. Male

1. Aker’s West Virginia
2. Amish Paste
3. Amish Salad
4. Andrew Rahart’s Jumbo Red
5. Anna Russian
6. Aunt Ginny’s Purple
7. Aunt Ruby’s German Green

8. Basinga
9. Big Rainbow
10. Black From Tula
11. Box Car Willie
12. Brandywine OTV
13. Brandywine Pink ( Sudduth Strain)
14. Brandywine Red
15. Brandywine Yellow ( Platfoot Strain)

16. Break O’ Day
17. Brianna
18. Bulgarian #7
19. Bulgarian Triumph
20. Cherokee Chocolate
21. Cherokee Purple
22. Chris Ukrainian
23. Crnkovic Yugoslavian
24. Cuostralee
25. Debbie
26. Dr. Carolyn
27. Dr. Lyle
28. Dr. Neal
29. Dr. Wyche’s Yellow
30. Druzba
31. Earl of Edgecombe
32. Eva Purple Ball
33. Germaid Red
34. German Head
35. German Red Strawberry
36. Gogosha
37. Gold Ball, Livingston’s
38. Golden queen (USDA Strain)
39. Green ( Dorothy’s Green)
40. Green Gage
41. Green Grape
42. Green Zebra
43. Grosse Cotelee
44. Heidi

45. Herman’s Yellow
46. Hugh’s
47. Hungarian Oval
48. Jaune Flammee
49. Jaune Negib
50. Jefferson Giant
51. Kellogg’s Breakfast
52. Kiev
53. Large Pink Bulgarian
54. Lida Ukrainian
55. Lillian’s Yellow Heirloom
56. Manyel
57. Marizol Gold
58. Martino’s Roma
59. Mary Ann
60. Matchless ( Austin Strain) originally misidentified- 'Quarter Century' (an old, historic dwarf variety from Burpee).
61. Matina
62. Mortgage Lifter(Estler's)
63. Mule Team
64. Nectarine
65. Nicky CRAIN
66. Noir de Crimee
67. Olena Ukrainian
68. Omar’s Lebanese
69. Opalka
70. Orange Strawberry

71. Pale Perfect Purple
72. Peach Blow Sutton
73. Pink Ice
74. Pink Ping Pong
75. Pink Sweet
76. Plum Lemon
77. Polish C
78. Rasp Large Red
79. Redfield Beauty
80. Red Pear
81. Red Penna
82. Regina’s Yellow
83. Reif Red Heart
84. Riesentraube
85. Russian #117 orange and yellow
86. Sandul Moldovan
87. Santa Clara Canner
88. Soldacki
89. Sophie’s Choice
90. Stupice

91. Sutton
92. Tangella
93. Tiffen Menonite
94. Ukrainian Heart ( o’Neill Strain)
95. Ukrainian Heart ( TNMUJ Strain)
96. White Queen
97. Wins All
98. Wuhib

99. Yellow Pear
100. Zogola

ADDED VARIETIES-from her offerings
1.Durmitor
2.Moravskyi Div
3.Orange Minsk
4.Pervaya Lyubov
5.Toedebusch Pink

6. HeShPole-
7. Dikovinka
8. That Russian Tomato
9. Schokoladnaja Sosulka
10. Galina
0

User avatar
Nan6b
Reactions: 557
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#38

Post: # 13842Unread post Nan6b
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Tormato wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 pm
I'll chime in that the MMMM swap will be back for 2020. I will add a "Carolyn" category.
I think that is a great idea! There will be no duplicate effort :) .
1

User avatar
root_grow
Reactions: 24
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:21 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#39

Post: # 13846Unread post root_grow
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:14 pm

This is such a nice idea. :) I'll hopefully grow Earl of Edgecombe, Manyel and Pale Perfect Purple this year. I'll plan to save and send in seed assuming all goes well!
1

Gardadore
Reactions: 57
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:15 am
Location: NE PA zone 6
Contact:

Re: A Tribute For Carolyn Male-Want to participate?

#40

Post: # 14229Unread post Gardadore
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:29 am

I have looked over my seeds. Add me for Cherokee Chocolate and Hugh’s providing they germinate since they are old packs.
0

Post Reply

Return to “Tomato Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest