How in the world did you decide on your grow list?

Everything About Tomatoes
habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Re: How in the world did you decide on your grow list?

Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm still trying lots of new ones and figuring out what grows best in this climate. So this year I'm growing the seeds I got from Shawn's (Carolyn's) seed offer, and the ones from Marsha's seed offer. I loved Polaris last year, so I'm growing a bunch more of Karen's new varieties. I also loved Green Bee F1 (one of the very few that resisted the onslaught of leaf-footed bugs last summer) and am also regrowing a couple more of Fred's, including a couple from cuttings (somehow a couple F1 plants I had in containers survived the winter, and when it came time to compost them, I thought, why not see if the cuttings are viable? So now I have a Green Bee cutting and a seed-grown Green Bee to compare). And then I wanted to try a few of my old favorites to see how they do here (and to see if the 2010-12 seeds were still viable -- they were!!), so I'm growing Purple Brandy, Opalka, and Pruden's Purple. Oh, and then someone in my local gardening group offered some varieties that do well for her, so I traded Brandywine Sudduth, Rose Quartz Multiflora, and Cherokee Green for a few of mine she'd never heard of. Got a few more that the master gardeners were giving away, African Queen and Green Doctors. And of course I'm regrowing a couple that did exceptionally well here, Pink Marmande and Rose de Berne. A few friends locally have been singing the praises of Juliet F1, so when I saw one at a plant sale, I got it (and wanted to support the plant sale this year, too). Then I went to the local nursery/hardware store and saw a healthy looking PL Brandy Boy, which I'd never grown. I haven't taken the time to count the number of varieties or plants in the ground, but I am growing multiples of some. For one, the photos of KARMA Miracle fruit looked so enticing on a fb post, and my 3 seedlings looked so healthy, that I planted all of them! And I had about 40 seedlings (more than 30 varieties) to give away!

slugworth
Reactions:

Wed May 20, 2020 7:25 pm

I tried to find plants that did good last year.
Then I found plants I never tried before plus I started seeds.
The score is up to 23 different types.
Last year I had 30 different types.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

slugworth
Reactions:

Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 pm

I found sweet million today to add to my list.
I had to repot today but I can take advantage of the sunlight for seeds that just popped without having to worry about sun-scald.
Ditto for the led grow light plants.
You can put then right into the sun.
I bought kellogs breakfast from agway and they got sunscald.
Must have been under florescent grow lights.

slugworth
Reactions:

Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 pm

They were once talking about using chantix to fight other addictions, like uncontrollable tomato plant buying.
You can even use the EBT card to buy veggie plant's at certain stores.
I am down to a 38 cent balance and it's the 21st
My last purchase was a phoenix tomato plant.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 pm

slugworth wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 pm They were once talking about using chantix to fight other addictions, like uncontrollable tomato plant buying.
You can even use the EBT card to buy veggie plant's at certain stores.
I am down to a 38 cent balance and it's the 21st
My last purchase was a phoenix tomato plant.
You can use your EBT card for veggie plants and seeds too. It counts as food and is a great savings to grow your own.
~ Patti ~

slugworth
Reactions:

Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am

seeds no,at least in my state
I tried.
plants only,and in only a few stores.
there is only 1 walmart I can use the ebt card for plants.
The rest of the stores it doesn't work
I tried 4 different walmarts.

slugworth
Reactions:

Sat May 23, 2020 9:31 am

You can't use the ebt card at greenhouses and other stores like agway or tractor supply either.
It isn't even on the card menu when you try to swipe the card.

Paulf
Reactions:

Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 am

I thought I had responded to this thread but looking throughout there was no response by me. Here is my method: since there are about 300 varieties in my seed inventory (down from the 500 before downsizing a couple of years ago). I am also downsizing the number of varieties I grow every year (down from 35 to 20). My wife and I pick out the top five we always want to grow and then go through the oldest seeds in the inventory and decide what to refresh. The tomatoes we grow are either those not readily available from seed sellers (mostly the good ones from Tania that are no longer available) or are the favorites that are aging seeds.

So, our current top five plus 15 that need to be saved. Then if there is a variety that gets some really good publicity by this and a couple of other site's members, that gets put into the mix.

slugworth
Reactions:

Sat May 23, 2020 12:43 pm

I started a lot of seeds late,but I will overwinter the best plants indoors for next year.
For the rapid tomato taste in my mouth I have store bought plants.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 am

slugworth wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:31 am You can't use the ebt card at greenhouses and other stores like agway or tractor supply either.
It isn't even on the card menu when you try to swipe the card.
Your EBT card is only good at food stores such a groceries and big box stores (there are others and it will be posted on the door). If those places sell seeds then you can purchase them with your card there.
~ Patti ~

slugworth
Reactions:

Sun May 24, 2020 8:51 am

nyet
all walmarts sell food and all walmarts accept the EBT card,but only 1 lets me use the EBT card to buy veggie plants.
And definitely not seeds,believe me I tried.
It all depends on how the individual stores code the items for sale.
The state taxes plants and seeds,normally you can't buy taxable food with the card but a few code it so you can.
At one store I could even buy bundled firewood for the winter,it was coded as produce non taxable.
I couldn't buy meatballs at the deli,even tho it was cold food.
It was taxed as prepared food.
Been on the card since 2011 so I know what works and what doesn't.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Tue May 26, 2020 11:28 pm

This is my 3rd year trying tomatoes first bought some from Walmart all leaves no tomatoes husband banned tomatoes says stick to other garden:) well I decided to buy micro tomatoes and grew 37 varieties since they grew and produced inside under light I convinced hubby I had what it takes lol second season I picked tomatoes on on a wim I grew alberto shatters smallest tomato new big brandy and new big dwarf. as a test they all grew very well. This year my husband challenged me all in or nothing 50 plant 10 varieties 2 we compete with big zacs and giant Belgium also I just have something to prove so I blindly picked them out hoped for the best all started from seed this year.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed May 27, 2020 4:08 pm

[mention]AKgardener[/mention] may I suggest that you avoid buying tomatoes from Walmart and find a local grower or start seeds yourself. Buying from some of these big box stores is asking for disaster.
~ Patti ~

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed May 27, 2020 11:05 pm

[mention]MissS[/mention] thank you for the advice it was a complete fail. I had better luck last year buying seeds online.. live and learn this year I started all mine from seed and went to a local nursery and getting more tomatoes so I have at least some by the end of the season...

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sun May 31, 2020 2:05 pm

Added 4 new tomatoes to the garden!!! got them from a local green house outdoor russian tomatoes.. called bezzass russian looking forward to seeing what I get..think I have enough plants ..

worth1
Reactions:

Sun May 31, 2020 4:25 pm

Random selection.
Just tasted my first ripe Juliette today.
Not bad not bad at all and a very good fruit setter in the heat of Texas.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun May 31, 2020 9:55 pm

My grow list is always percolating in my head but I get serious about it after Thanksgiving. That’s when I start putting pen to paper and doing a final check of seed on hand. I bring back around 20 or so varieties and try about 20 more new. I also start 30 or 40 extra plants as giveaways; part of the fun of gardening.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:43 am

A new dimension in deciding what to plant this year: only 9 of my 90 seedlings survived, and most of those were ones I'd promised to other people. In mid-May I got new soil and re-planted. Most of it was stuff I had on the list before, but some of the originals I had no more seeds for. And I was out of time. In a depressed panic, I grabbed a bunch of seed packets (courtesy of a generous TomatoJunction-er) & went through them like dealing out cards. If it was an early, it got planted. If it was one I had been looking at for years, it got planted. If it happened to catch my eye, it got planted. Now I've got a great little bunch of new seedlings, small but hardened off & ready to be planted out. Whew!

PlainJane
Reactions:

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:37 pm

Good for you [mention]Nan6b[/mention] . You’ve had a tough bunch of months lately.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Tomato Talk”