Hardy Russian Varieties!

Everything About Tomatoes
Greatgardens
Reactions:

Hardy Russian Varieties!

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 am

Early this January, I started 8 "balcony-sized" varieties, and the remaining (survivors) are down to 3. Two Russian/Ukrainian varieties both sold by Heritage Seed Market (Ellie) -- Linda and Russian Saskatchewan. These are both thriving in my cool garage, and I also have a hybrid -- Mega Bite, but it is not thriving. I have all of them in apx 8" pots now, and in early May they will go into 12" hanging baskets or perhaps 5 gallon cloth pots, but probably not completely filling them with potting mix.

Probably some of the other varieties would have done much better if planted later when they did not have to endure my 50-degree (F.) garage. But that can't take away from the vigor that the Russian varieties have shown. I know from several years of experience that Linda produces excellent saladette tomatoes and quite a few, given that it is only 15" or so tall. This is the first year with RS, so I can only be hopeful. It is also a similar size plant that supposedly will produce saladettes. They are similar varieties, but I can see differences in the plants. I'll update this later when I've got tomatoes from all three.

-GG

Blackbear
Reactions:

Re: Hardy Russian Varieties!

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm

sounds like what you are doing you would at sometime like ...Siberia (dwarf rugose leaf) it did really well in 3-5 gallons
and was able to be moved into protection early and late in season etc.
So many Tomatoes...……..so little Time !

akgardengirl
Reactions:

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:36 pm

I grow Utyonok almost every season. Hardy and reliable here in Anchorage, AK. A friend has made a few crosses using it as mom and those are also tasty and dependable for our climate. I do grow other taller Russian types also. They work well here! Checking out the ones you mentioned from Heritage Seeds.

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:59 am

Here are my 3 Russian/Ukrainian very early plants, located in my unheated but attached garage, and straining to get outside at least to the cold frame. The two on the left are Russian Saskatchewan and the one on the right is Linda. (Linda is clearly bushier at this point.) Now if I can do a good job transitioning to the cold, cruel world outside...
Very Early Tomatoes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Your plants look great for being as cold as you describe. It must warm up when the sun shines.
I do something similar in that I use the front of my enclosed carport for tomato seedlings when they get too big for the house. I have stapled some poly inside around that section of garage and made a mini green house that warms up more than the rest of the garage due to the heat from the lights and also from the 60W incandescent bulb hanging under the table. It does cool down at night but the 60W bulb helps keep it a little warmer.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:07 am

akgardengirl wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:36 pm I grow Utyonok almost every season. Hardy and reliable here in Anchorage, AK. A friend has made a few crosses using it as mom and those are also tasty and dependable for our climate. I do grow other taller Russian types also. They work well here! Checking out the ones you mentioned from Heritage Seeds.
Good to know from a fellow Alaskan I’ll have to try these next year!

Return to “Tomato Talk”