You want CHEAP tomato seeds that germinate ??

Everything About Tomatoes
TomHillbilly
Reactions:

You want CHEAP tomato seeds that germinate ??

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 pm

I want to give a shout out to a high school in Georgia. They grow plants for surrounding farmers, and parents. Then sell off their extra seeds when finished. They make absolutely NO PROFIT from any seeds--they aren't allowed to. They don't have a huge selection to chose from. Its a trade school of sorts, for them. But you backyard growers that want fool-proof seeds. And have a very limited area-- you can't do any better than some of this HEAVY producers. I've bought seeds off of them for 3 years now-- they germinate better than most vendors. Take a look.
https://www.ebay.com/str/Bulk-Tomato-Se ... 7675.l2563

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Re: You want CHEAP tomato seeds that germinate ??

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:07 am

those are great deals. I got a few. thanks for the link

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 am

I bought some to send into the MMMM. Since I won't be having a garden this year this is an affordable way for me to contribute seeds. So be looking for these varieties in the MMMM swap this year.

I was surprised to see that they were offering F1 seeds. Is this what they are teaching the kids, how to create F1 seeds?
~ Patti ~

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:35 am

I picked up a few varieties. Great bargain!
The best things in life---are not things.

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Reply to Patti.
3 years ago they offered more heirloom varieties, than Hybrid. And had a bigger selection. They have migrated to mostly hybrid now, and down sized on choice. Bear in mind these high school trade schools have to sell the plants these kids grow. Those varieties that are more marketable for farmers, will have the better chance of being sold to larger growers. PS-- I raise 70 to 90 plants a year. I grow mostly experimental varieties. But I also grow seedlings for my neighbor. He only wants the old standard red high acid--big producing--resistant canning tomatoes. I usually do 100 plants for him. So this is why I know these seeds will germinate, and produce. My neighbor Kyle, wants a tomato about 8 to 12 ounces that will get ripe all the way through. Large deformed tomatoes that have that huge unripened core, Kyle hates. As for me-- I grow a lot of yellow, orange, and blackened tomatoes. I'd say that school can unload Kyle's type of mater plants, more easy than mine. LOL

Nan6b
Reactions:

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:46 pm

TomHillbilly wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm ...But I also grow seedlings for my neighbor. He only wants the old standard red high acid--big producing--resistant canning tomatoes....
Sounds like my sister. What varieties do you grow for your neighbor?

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 pm

TomHillbilly wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm Reply to Patti.
3 years ago they offered more heirloom varieties, than Hybrid. And had a bigger selection. They have migrated to mostly hybrid now, and down sized on choice. Bear in mind these high school trade schools have to sell the plants these kids grow. Those varieties that are more marketable for farmers, will have the better chance of being sold to larger growers. PS-- I raise 70 to 90 plants a year. I grow mostly experimental varieties. But I also grow seedlings for my neighbor. He only wants the old standard red high acid--big producing--resistant canning tomatoes. I usually do 100 plants for him. So this is why I know these seeds will germinate, and produce. My neighbor Kyle, wants a tomato about 8 to 12 ounces that will get ripe all the way through. Large deformed tomatoes that have that huge unripened core, Kyle hates. As for me-- I grow a lot of yellow, orange, and blackened tomatoes. I'd say that school can unload Kyle's type of mater plants, more easy than mine. LOL
I was not criticizing them for growing F1's. I'm sorry if it sounded that way. When I was young, they taught us to grow a plant, period. I think that it is cool that these kids are learning the art of hybridizing. All of the schools that I know of raise only the hybrids if their intention is to sell them, so do most farmers markets. Most people these days are so accustomed to tomatoes from the store that a home grown heirloom is just to foreign for them to enjoy and they refuse to spend their money on them.
~ Patti ~

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:53 pm

MissS-- Me and my neighbor Kyle are retired. So we both only have to grow maters for 2 people at each home. I grow 70 to 90 plants. He grows 100 to 110 plants. I grow experimental weird test varieties. I give away tomatoes to neighbors close to me. We live in a old community-- I supply 3 different widow women with tomatoes. Their husbands use to grow. 5 different households in all. Kyle loads up his tomatoes in his truck, and takes to the "Good Will Center. " He wants, red maters about baseball--to softball, in size. They have to be high acid, heavy produces, and blight resistant. SO HERE IS YOUR ANSWER-- This year I'm growing him, 1st pick-- Big Beef. 2nd pick-- Jet Star. 3rd pick Super Fantastic. Then comes 2 determinant varieties-- Celebrity and Legend. For a cherry tomato, he will have Sweets Million, and Sun-sugar. These are ALL High producing hybrids. That School also had Parks Whopper, but I never bought it. But I'm familiar with it. It was just that I liked the old Parks--before it became improved. But the Whopper will produce 5 tears of tomatoes--for sure. Those varieties are all around 72 day maters. We have blights here. 90 day tomatoes don't fair well. Kyle is into taste, and pound per plant. Those are some of the best at it. PS-- We just like watching things grow. I could take a wheel barrel out in the middle of Kyle's garden, and fill it with as much as I can lift. He would never even ask me what I'm doing-- LOL. He grows the hybrids, I grow the heirlooms. One think that old Fart as taught me. Huge maters, has to have huge stems for support. The core rarely ripens. I'm still tying to teach him, there is some good maters out there, that isn't red. HOPE I was helpful ? I love growing seedlings, more than tending a garden. That is how this all works.

HL2601
Reactions:

Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm

Love your enthusiasm Tom and I ordered some seeds too. Thanks for the head's up!

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:31 pm

[mention]TomHillbilly[/mention] "I love growing seedlings, more than tending a garden." Well then your my kind of guy. I enjoy growing my tomatoes for everyone else as well. I start seedlings for friends and neighbors and those who need them. I give plenty of fruit away to our food pantry and then my real reason is to save seeds for all of the folks here on the forum. I unload the seed onto Tormato who runs the Mostly Mystery Mater Mailing which is a huge seed swap that we all look forward to at the end of the season. So save some of those heirloom seeds so that you can join us in this wonderfully awesome event.
~ Patti ~

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:57 am

Received my seeds in a timely fashion. Very pleased.
The best things in life---are not things.

Return to “Tomato Talk”