TEST----Is any Super Early varieties useful in zone 7 ?

Everything About Tomatoes
TomHillbilly
Reactions:

TEST----Is any Super Early varieties useful in zone 7 ?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:28 pm

This is my last early tomato adventure. For years I planted a few of the common CLAIMED early varieties. Those that claim to ripen in less than 60 days. Only to find they ripened over a week after my Sun-sugar and Sweets Million cherry tomatoes. {both are a 62 day tomato.} I live in zone 7, and have never had Early Girl to actually deliver on its early clams. In fact--I've never had any of those famous claimed early varieties impress me with being early. BUT--I've always seeded the earlier varieties the same-day, as the others.
This year I've seeded 6 early varieties. Some varieties claim to bloom in 40 degrees. They was seeded 18 days earlier than usual. So they are going to get a taste of that cooler air this year. I also seeded them with my regular 2 cheery tomatoes I mentioned. Early Treat, and Subarctic Plenty CLAIM to be a 49 day tomato. Early Cascade, Early Wonder, Bloody Butcher, and Mantina, all boast of being more earlier than my 62 day cherry tomatoes. I'm going on record as predicting I'll be eating from those cherry tomato plants, a week before any of those others. If my predictions are correct, than why grow any of the golf-ball size super earliest ?? Just grow early cherries instead ? PS-- I'll let you know the test results before the 4th of July--LOL
You are welcome to make your predictions on the final results. I hope I'm proved wrong. AND YES--I got enough buckets to cover the plants at night. So a light frost won't get me.
Last edited by TomHillbilly on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: TEST----Is any Super Early varieties useful in zone 7 ?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:35 pm

My cherry tomatoes always ripen faster, too. The only way I got the larger ones earlier was using wall-o-waters, and starting them about 3 weeks earlier. I'd put the WOWs in place a week or so before planting, to warm the soil, and some of the tomatoes would begin ripening around 6-20.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:53 pm

It's always cherry tomatoes first to ripen here in zone 8A Texas for me. Zone 7B is very near us to the north.
Texas Zone 8A

Blackbear
Reactions:

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:03 am

Latah for super early ...before the early season or mid season get going …

Kimberley can also get going early ...if treated nicely and produce till frost ..

Yaponskiy karlik is early and flexible and productive...
So many Tomatoes...……..so little Time !

Blackbear
Reactions:

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:04 am

glacier
So many Tomatoes...……..so little Time !

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:16 pm

I am zone 6b. Anmore Treasures and tumblers ripen first. My other early varieties that have done well are Cole, Sol Gold, and Taxi. Maglia Rosa is also quite early.

edweather
Reactions:

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:54 am

Stupice, from Tomato Growers Supply. Always my first tomato. 50 days from setting out this year. Started Jan 1, set out in Feb, and first blush end Mar. Taste is good, and plenty of production.
Southeast GA, USDA 9a, HZ9, Sunset Z28

MikeInCypress
Reactions:

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Kimberley was the earliest Non-Cherry I ever grew. Stupice was almost as early. Early Wonder wasn't. 4th of July was about a week later than Stupice. The Sub Arctics had no taste. Juliet is doing well this year. About 10 days from now I think.

MikeInCypress

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:29 pm

[mention]TomHillbilly[/mention]

You might try Nodak Early, Millet's Dakota, and Frosty F. House. They've all been quite early for me (the first year, anyway). If you're in the USA, let me know if you want seeds from my store-bought packets that I used to try them out.

If you're in a hot, humid area, you might try Glacier. I've seen better reviews on it than most earlies in such areas, but it hasn't been early for me here in Idaho.

From the ones that didn't do well for you, I've had early fruit from Early Girl F1 (when purchased as a plant only), Bloody Butcher, and Matina (not every year). Early Treat F1 and Sub Arctic Plenty weren't early for me, but I still liked Sub Arctic Plenty when container grown, and I liked Early Treat F1 (lots of firm, round, small fruits with decent taste). Early Treat F1 could have been earlier for me, though, but it was shaded a bit and got a late start.

You might notice better results for some varieties if you save seeds and plant them again. If it doesn't help earliness, it might help production and vigor.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Talk”