Rooting Golden Pothos from leaves!

Shule
Reactions:

Rooting Golden Pothos from leaves!

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:06 pm

I have a sibling who had a Golden Pothos leaf, without any root nodes/nodules, and stuck its stem in wet gravel. It grew roots. This was maybe between two and three decades ago.

I read on the Internet that Golden Pothos won't root from leaves. So, I'm curious, have any of you ever managed to root one from a leaf (without any root nodes/nodules)?

I figured I'd try to root several leaves in moist (not extremely moist) soil, since there's not a plethora of gravel available.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Glitch
Reactions:

Re: Rooting Golden Pothos from leaves!

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:28 pm

You know, I have never actually tried without a node because that's just how I learned it, but I have plenty of pothos so I will also conduct an experiment and report back. I like to take cuttings and stick them in my aquarium.
Miniature enthusiast. USDA Zone 6A.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:40 pm

I'm curious to try leaf vein cuttings, too, to see what happens.

[mention]Glitch[/mention]
My sibling just had the leaf and leaf stem (no vine), in case you're wanting to try the same thing. I don't know if it ever grew any leaves, though, but I seem to recall seeing it with roots. I'm sure if they can grow roots they can grow leaves, though (whether or not they do it every time).

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 pm

If we can do leaf cuttings and/or leaf vein cuttings, then I wonder if the new plants can lose their variegation (like snake plants can lose theirs). That would be awesome, because that would mean you could get two kinds of plant out of one. It would be great to have a solid green kind, too.

Side note: I've been wanting to get a solid green snake plant. We have one with yellow edges that is otherwise solid green (no patterns in the green); so, I'm thinking maybe a leaf cutting would get a completely solid green one, edges and all.

Dawn
Reactions:

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 am

I use pothos in my frog tanks. I just cut some and stick them in the dirt and they vine all over the place. I have one little clump that is all leaves, no new growing tips. Not sure how that happened, did I just stick a bunch of leaves in one spot? They've been there a couple months, not vining, because they can't, not dying, cause they're pothos.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a
Central Washington State (it's a desert here)

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Okay, so my sibling admitted there was some of the skin or some such from the stem attached, and the growth appeared there. The leaf cuttings I've taken don't seem to be growing roots, yet; one of them is yellowing, but I haven't checked them all to be sure.

Julianna
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:50 am

Aroids will root from a leaf but without meristem, they just stay a leaf forever.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 am

I'm trying to understand what you mean by leaf without a root nodule. Do you mean just the flat leafy bit with NO stem?

I have several cuttings from a single stem that root very easily. Golden Pothos is one of the easiest plants to root, IMO. Its really great in aquariums. All these cuttings come from a stem that didn't have a direct connection to roots. Some where a couple feet from the soil.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:38 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 am I'm trying to understand what you mean by leaf without a root nodule. Do you mean just the flat leafy bit with NO stem?

I have several cuttings from a single stem that root very easily. Golden Pothos is one of the easiest plants to root, IMO. Its really great in aquariums. All these cuttings come from a stem that didn't have a direct connection to roots. Some where a couple feet from the soil.
I mean the leaf and the leaf stem, but no part of the branch where the root nodules are (and can appear; the root nodules are the dark parts that easily grow roots when you put them in water; root nodules are also the things they use to attach themselves to walls and climb them; I believe they're known as aerial roots; they can grow all along the branches, although they're usually close to the leaf stems, but I've never seen them on leaf stems).

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 am

Can't say I've ever gotten that to work. But i haven't put it to the test either.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Return to “House Plants”