What to Grow for the Hubs?

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
Pokemato
Reactions:

What to Grow for the Hubs?

Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:33 am

Hello everyone!

As I think and dream for our first real garden next summer, I am trying to decide what might be the best pepper varieties for my hot sauce and spice-loving husband and where the best place to get the seed would be.

My husband loves hot sauce, goes through the bulk-sized red pepper flake containers in no time flat and loves spicy Thai. I think the Thai birdseye peppers might be a must. What varieties would you guys recommend I look at for him and, where do you recommend for seed?

THANK YOU for the input!

worth1
Reactions:

Re: What to Grow for the Hubs?

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Habanero.
Tomato Growers Supply.
Learn to ferment here to make hot sauce.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm

I got into making pepper sauces this year from peppers I grew. Made three different sauces, two fermented types and one pickled, plus a hot relish along with pico de gallo. Made my own pepper flakes from peppers I dried in the sun. Pickled some hot pepper slices,too.

There are a gazillion varieties to grow. For homemade hot pepper flakes, the long thin cayenne variety works nicely. I believe most pepper flakes that one can buy are made from Cayenne peppers. Cayenne pepper plants are pretty hardy and compact. 30-50,000 scoville score.

What kind of hot sauce does he like? Tabasco sauce that everyone is familiar with runs about 2,500-5,000 scoville units. That’s about where a raw jalapeño would place. Cholula, another popular brand is about the same level of heat. Raw Tabasco peppers are place about where cayenne place. The fermentation process and added vinegar and aging really tones down the heat. I’m growing one tabasco pepper plant. That pepper really thrives in the heat.

Hard to go wrong with Serrano and Jalapeños. There’s the whole line South American Aji types, seems like those might take a little longer to ripen.

Super chilis all ripen about the same time which is nice for making a sauce. They have a flavor and heat similar to thai peppers and make a great sauce.

Habaneros are 10 times as hot as the others, 100 times hotter than jalapeños. Then the super hots are 3-4 times hotter than the habaneros. Some folks love these massively hot peppers. I grew habaneros and a little goes a long way.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:21 pm

I dehydrated some orange habanero's last year and they add a lot of zip to food and as has been mentioned, "a little goes a long way." Growing some Caribbean Red and Chocolate Habanero's this year, and with the hot and dry summer, they should be plenty hot.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Pokemato
Reactions:

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks for the input, everyone!

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Pokemato wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:33 am Hello everyone!

As I think and dream for our first real garden next summer, I am trying to decide what might be the best pepper varieties for my hot sauce and spice-loving husband and where the best place to get the seed would be.

My husband loves hot sauce, goes through the bulk-sized red pepper flake containers in no time flat and loves spicy Thai. I think the Thai birdseye peppers might be a must. What varieties would you guys recommend I look at for him and, where do you recommend for seed?

THANK YOU for the input!
Chile de Arbol would also be a good choice for dried pepper flakes.
Also if you post on the 'Seeds Wanted' or 'Seed Wish List' after forum members have the opportunity to save seed at the end of their season, I am sure that forum members will share some pepper seed with you.

Pokemato
Reactions:

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:20 pm

friedgreen51 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Pokemato wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:33 am Hello everyone!

THANK YOU for the input!
Chile de Arbol would also be a good choice for dried pepper flakes.
Also if you post on the 'Seeds Wanted' or 'Seed Wish List' after forum members have the opportunity to save seed at the end of their season, I am sure that forum members will share some pepper seed with you.
THANK YOU!!!

Return to “The Pepper Patch”