Last pepper harvest 2020.

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Last pepper harvest 2020.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:04 pm

I was taken care of file and picture cleaning, something I do at the end of each year on my computer. I thought I would post a few pictures, before I deleted them. This was a picture of my last pepper harvest, before frost got the plants in the second week of October. Generally it's the last week of October, before I see any frost. I never kept any of the peppers in the picture. By this time I had all I could use. And so did my neighbors I had been supplying. I had to make some phone calls to get rid of these.  Pictures are deceptive-- the peppers nearest is Santa Fe Grande. They are as small as the Jalapeno peppers on the other side of the Poblano. I really like them as a pickling pepper. Perfect in heat for me-- but I am a wimp concerning spicy food. I had 5 of the Grande plants. They produced enough to can 3 quarts every 3 weeks. After I stuff my boiled sterilized jars full of sliced peppers. I pour the boiling pickling solution over the peppers, and seal. I never lose any, and they remain crisp. At the far end-- past the bell peppers, is various types of hot seasoning peppers. None of those impressed me. They were all "one and done" peppers.  I grew the Tams Jalapeno peppers this year. They claimed to be the milder in varieties of Jalapenos. The regular and M Jalapenos were too hot for me-- these were also. LOL
20201004_122825.jpg
20201120_113913.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stone
Reactions:

Re: Last pepper harvest 2020.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:30 am

TomHillbilly wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:04 pm I grew the Tams Jalapeno peppers this year. They claimed to be the milder in varieties of Jalapenos. The regular and M Jalapenos were too hot for me-- these were also.
Gorgeous peppers, but I think that you may need to find another way to cook with them.

Here's some of my peppers... A couple of thin slices from a single pepper may be enough to season an entire pot of stew!
Very good for you...
peppers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:45 am

stone----- A few weeks ago, me and another old grower was talking about how easy to was to string dry peppers 20 years ago. And we both was exchanging theories as to why it had become so difficult today. Then I see your picture, which proves you did it the old method. Now I'm wondering if the molds and funguses are just in our area?

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:31 am

Santa fe grande is a nice pickling pepper, a little milder than the mild jalapeños. Nice harvest, btw. Some Santa Fe grande went into my pepper fermentations this past season and a fermented hot pepper sauce is a good way to preserve the harvest. You can dial in the heat you like by just mixing in milds with whatever hots you want. I also grew cowhorn and those are giant peppers that are somewhere in between jalapeños and the santa fe grandes in heat. Not as meaty as the santa fe grande. Supposedly, peppers freeze well, but I haven’t tried that. Dried on a ristra like that would be an almost certain mold garden in my climate, too much humidity here.

This upcoming season I definitely want to do more long, thin cayenne for dried pepper flakes. I did some last season and I am about out of that. Seems much more fragrant and tasty than store bought. I still have a lot of hot sauce left over from last season so I might pass on doing more of that. Tabasco peppers work great for pickled okra so at least one of those plants is a must. I planted a number of shishito and Jimmy Nardellos seeds in starter cells, but so far they are very reluctant to come up.

Good luck with your peppers in 2021. Part of the fun is trying to come up with the best mix of things to grow.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

stone
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:02 am

TomHillbilly wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:45 am stone----- A few weeks ago, me and another old grower was talking about how easy to was to string dry peppers 20 years ago. And we both was exchanging theories as to why it had become so difficult today. Then I see your picture, which proves you did it the old method. Now I'm wondering if the molds and funguses are just in our area?
Where are you?
Plenty of humidity here in GA... lots of mold and fungus... By hanging peppers on the wall in my bedroom... Where the humidity totally goes away in the winter after I fire up the fireplace... The peppers have since dried... The above picture of them shows them fresh and pretty... not so much after they've dried.

Lots of fun stringing ghost peppers, Carolina reapers, and forgetting to wash my hands immediately afterwards... I'm soon reminded...

20 years ago, y'all were probably working with cayenne peppers which dry a lot easier. Fleshy peppers probably should go in the dehydrator.

Return to “The Pepper Patch”