Peppers 2021

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Peppers 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:47 pm

I haven’t figured out the super hots, the whole appeal of them. Lit up my lips along the way with a native chilepequin or two and those aren’t even a superhot. Maybe someday I’ll get the reason to grow flame throwers.

Pretty much finished out my garden beds today and still have some little room for a few peppers. If I can’t zero in on anything new or exotic or exciting, I’ll toss in another Jalapeño or two. Jalapeños work pickled or fresh, pretty versatile. Kind of hamstrung by what I can scrounge up at the growers at this point. But,as usual, there are varieties upon varieties I didn’t know existed, thanks for all the lists!
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

HenriSportif
Reactions:

Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:26 pm

karstopography wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:47 pm I haven’t figured out the super hots, the whole appeal of them.
Yeah, I'm not real sure on these, either! :lol: Some were received in the MMMM and I'm giving them a try... A few years ago I was scared of habaneros and now they are my favorites. We'll see.

I ordered some exotic (to me) hot ones that haven't been shipped yet, but now the web site lists some as sold out, so I don't know if they'll come, or if they're reserved by order number. The most important to me though, are the Bermuda Hots, which as I recall aren't all that hot. I decided to grow them in remembrance of my Dad, who taught me to garden - what with the Carolyn tribute and the Remy tribute, and Dad passed 10 years ago now; Seemed fitting, so I hope they come.
~Bee

This then is life - How curious! How real! Underfoot, the divine soil - Overhead, the sun.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 pm

I only grow superhots out of curiosity, and to see how many of my friends will try them with me...once! The rest I give to a friend, who makes sauce with them - something not in my pantry. The flavor of all of the superhots I have grown has never been as good as many of the habaneros I've grown (though some of those have also had less flavor than the better ones), plus you can't use enough of them to get the flavor, even if they did have a good flavor!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

stone
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:40 pm

HenriSportif wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:48 pm That sounds great, Stone. I've been wanting to try over wintering some peppers but haven't done it yet - maybe this year I'll put a couple in the garage.

This is the first year I've grown anything hotter than a habanero, and I'm thinking I'll wear gloves when potting them up in a day or two!
Wear gloves if you must when slicing into the fruit, but there's no particular need to wear gloves otherwise... the leaves aren't hot, the outside of the fruit isn't hot... no heat until you damage the fruit.

I often forget to wash my hands after slicing up the ghost peppers (or threading them into a chain), but the first time I rub my eye... I remember...

Do you have windows in the garage?
I always leave my plants on a table in front of a south facing window... They still lose most of their leaves... but they are budding up nicely...

My plants in Febuary... Texas was freezing, but we lucked out by missing that polar vortex... It followed the rockies down... and got sucked back north up the Appalachian chimney... I give the plants a vacation outside when the weather permits.

They were like 6 foot in height when I potted them... I hated to prune, but I needed them to set on the table without touching the ceiling... They're still nearly 6 ft if you add in the height of the pots.

Re: why grow these super hot?
When a single pepper will perfectly season a large pot of stew... Pretty good reason.
I think that the ghost peppers have a very good taste.

They also work nicely with the cherry tomatoes when making fresh salsa.

roper2008
Reactions:

Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:21 am

That’s some list there Jennifer. I’m not having much success with the baggie method on my heating pad. Got too hot, and had to restart most of my seeds. I forgot to start Shishito peppers, so I’ll do that today. My Aji Guyana are getting to a nice size, what I like about this pepper is that it is a very mild hot, so you can eat it fresh with your meal. They take a long time to ripen from green to orange, that’s why I started them in January.

Return to “The Pepper Patch”