Peppers 2021

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
roper2008
Reactions:

Peppers 2021

Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 am

Well, it’s time for me to start peppers and eggplant. I’m going to start all of them with the paper towel method. Below is my list, some are new to me.
New to me also this year is the Greenstalk, expensive but should last for years. What finally made me bite the bullet was watching Rainbow Gardens review of it for 4 years. I plan to put bush beans on top 2 tiers, and Jimmy Nardello peppers on the bottom 3.
Feel free to share what you will be growing this year.

Aji Arnaucho
Onza Rojo
Tunisian Baklouti
Hungarian Hot Wax
Rooster Spur
Kalugeritsa
Hein White Thai
Ozark Giant
Jimmy Nardello
Big Bertha Hybrid
Bull Nose Pepper
Craig’s Grande Jalapeño
Zapotec Jalapeño
Corno Di Toro Giallo
Criollo de Cocina
Shishito
Kang Starr White Thai
Kambuzi
Onza Amarillo
Orange Thai
Big Bertha Hybrid

Plus a few others

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Peppers 2021

Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:32 am

My buddy has a few shishito pepper sets he’s willing to share, especially since I gave him some of my tomato sets and other seeds earlier.

Long thin Cayenne for making pepper flakes
Serrano for salsa, pico
Jalapeños for pickling, fresh use
Fresno
Crusader Bell if I can find some
Tabasco for adding to pickled okra.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

roper2008
Reactions:

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Shishito’s are very productive.

goodloe
Reactions:

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:23 pm

Dangit, I forgot about Onza Rojo! Seeds from you, I believe...

I've already up-potted 32 pepper plants, with about 15 more to go. My list this year also includes Rooster Spur, along with:

Prairie Spice
Jalapeno
Poblano
Ho Chi Minh
Largo de Reus
Elephant Ear
Numex Cayenne
Bill's Striped
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

roper2008
Reactions:

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:14 pm

I try to keep Onza Rojo going because Chili Pepper Institute, where I originally bought the seeds from, doesn’t sell them anymore. It’s suppose to be good for mole.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:16 am

I have a a couple of classic ones growing like Jalapeno and Padron, and a few new stuff, which seem to be hybrids but am not super sure, got them from a trade. Captain Screw (screw pepper), Hot Emperor Nr.1 (wide and long, like an oversized banana pepper), Emperor 336 (supposedly super long, up to 45 cm and thin) and Xiaomi-la (I guess spicy millet, a small frutescens like tabasco).

roper2008
Reactions:

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 pm

Good luck with your hybrid peppers, never heard of those. Big Bertha that I’m growing is a hybrid, that did very well for me last year.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:39 am

I forgot about Nikita F1 (by Clause), a glorious pepper for those that want a light green one for picking unripe. Thin skin (a huge bonus), thick flesh and good aroma (much better than Hungarian wax which was a disappointment, especially in terms of tough skin). I also grew it last year, production was fine although not impressive, it had a tendency to not pollinate well. In general I have trouble with peppers pollinating, except Jalapeno.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:50 pm

I’m glad I founds this my husband had a slight disagreement over when to start them I live in zone 3b I last frost date is June 1st when do I start my peppers and cucumbers?? Every year I try cucumbers but they fail most likely my fault but would love to grow poblano and bell peppers

patihum
Reactions:

Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:34 pm

A couple of these the seeds have some age on them so will have to wait to see if any germinate.

Agriturismo Tholos
Bastan F2
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Bill's Striped
Black from Maf
Dante F1
Datil
DK Snacker
Largo de Reus
Mini Olive Rocoto
Mustard Hab
Pale Rider
Prairie Spice
Purple Fire
Stavros
Tibetan Lhasa F1
Yummy Orange

HenriSportif
Reactions:

Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:46 pm

Is Onza Rojo a Serrano type?

Here's my list this season ( * = waiting on germination, ** = live plant, not received yet)
Mild / Sweet / Savory:
Anaheim
Banana
Big Jim
Cyklon
Escamillo
Fresno**
Hatch
Jimmy Nardello
Juanita / Peppadew
Lydia
Senice
Shishito
Sunbright Yellow
Sweet Pickle
Trader Joe's yellow and orange bells
Woz's cross (from Whwoz)

Hot:
Aji Amarillo
Aji Charapita**
Aleppo
Bahamian Goat*
Bermuda Hot**
Brown Dates**
Buketna
Cheiro Roxa**
Congo Red Trinidad
Cosa Arrugada
Criolla Sella
Csipos (but hot)
Cumari do Para**
Fish
Habanero, Caribbean Red Hot**
Habanero, orange
Habanero, pink
Habanero, Red Savina**
Habanero, white**
Habanero, White Giant
High Fly
Jalapeno, Craig's Grande
Jalapeno, Victory Seeds version
Jaluv An Attitude
Lemon Drop
Pilange**
Red Mushroom
Rocoto, red**
Serrano, Tampiqueno
Sugar Rush Peach
Thai Long
Wiri Wiri**
Yellow Mushroom*

Super Hot:
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel
Devil's Tongue, White
Fatalii, Yellow
~Bee

This then is life - How curious! How real! Underfoot, the divine soil - Overhead, the sun.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:08 am

AKgardener wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:50 pm I’m glad I founds this my husband had a slight disagreement over when to start them I live in zone 3b I last frost date is June 1st when do I start my peppers and cucumbers?? Every year I try cucumbers but they fail most likely my fault but would love to grow poblano and bell peppers
Beginning of April would be good. Not sure bell peppers will be a good fit for your short season, those things take months to ripen. Best would be things to eat green, like frying peppers (padron, shishito) or banana peppers and other cream colored ones.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 am

[mention]goodloe[/mention] I grew Rooster's Spur many years ago, and it was a small plant, with not a huge number of peppers, but the main reason I never grew it again, was it was intensely bitter, both green, and totally ripe. The only thing I could do with them was to dry the red ones, and even that wasn't great. I've had a lot of bitter peppers when they were green, but usually not when red, too.

I have a few new peppers this season, but still a couple more old faithful varieties than new, unlike tomatoes, which I always have more new than old.

PEPPERS

Old varieties
Aji Dulce
Craig's Chocolate habanero
Gold Bullet
Hanoi Market
Jalafuego
Jyoti
Red Savina?
Superchili
Superthai - New seed
Superthai - Old seed
Thai Vesuvius

New varieties
Ancho Ranchero
Big Chili - Numex
Chocolate Habanero - new
Death Spiral - superhot
Giuzeppi - Numex
Hong Gochu - Korean
Hot Paper Lantern Habanero
Meteor
Portugal Fire
Thunder Mountain - Long decorative

I started my chinense varieties on 3-3, and The new chocolate hab has already germinated a couple of seeds in just 5 days! Most of my peppers will be started on 4-1, though a couple (jalafuego and Superchili) grow so fast that I'll probably start them a little later, so I won't have to pluck the blossoms from them, before transplanting. 6 weeks is about right for the rest - the chinense are the ones that take longer.

Update - on the 6th day, the second variety to sprout a seed was the old, Craig's Cocolate Hab! The reason I got the new ones was that the Craig's variety was very slow last year, and low%, so I wanted to have a backup. But I'm wondering if it will be the same - I had two varieties of chocolate habs years ago, which were totally different, in shape, and one was very late. So if one of these seems better, I'll isolate some flowers, and save the seeds.
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

goodloe
Reactions:

Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:57 am

[mention]pepperhead212[/mention] ..maybe the Rooster Spur that you grew was an ornamental pepper of the "spur" variety...? That would account for the bitterness. My original Rooster Spur seeds came from SSE.

https://www.seedsavers.org/rooster-spur-organic-pepper

p.s...."Death Spiral"? Wow, that sounds NASTY HOT!
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

roper2008
Reactions:

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:09 am

The Rooster Spur I grew also came from SSE, and it was quite productive, with no bitterness. I would put them in my omelette when they turned red. Pepperhead must have had a different variety.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:57 am

[mention]goodloe[/mention] , [mention]roper2008[/mention] ,
That must be a different variety of rooster spur. The one I grew was back in the 90s! I'm glad they've improved it.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:41 am

Added a couple of Red Knight Sweet Bell peppers into the garden. I wanted some kind of bell pepper and this variety looked to be the best of the bunch on hand. Also picked up a Tabasco, Serrano, Anaheim and one more Jalapeño set. The Pepper and tomato Sets are generally very small this year in relation to previous years and some just look awful, especially the tomato sets, even fresh off the truck.

No doubt the big freeze a few weeks ago has impacted the availability and quality of the sets here at the garden centers and other retailers. I talked to one commercial landscaper and 2 of his better wholesale suppliers lost millions of dollars each in plant inventory to cold/freeze damage. He said that story is repeated across the board with many, many growers all over a large region covering at least Texas and Louisiana, overwhelmed greenhouses by the unprecedented cold, power outages or then normally hardy exposed plants in containers not able to withstand temperatures far below what’s expected. This landscaping contractor said the extent of the damage is yet unknown, but he foresees unprecedented demand for landscape plants in the region and very limited supply of dubious quality.

I’m not sure those exact conditions are going to translate to the pepper sets here. People did lose sets in their homes with the days long power outages. One local gardener, a friend of a friend, lost 70 plus tomato sets and 40 plus peppers due to the cold that invaded his greenhouse. Demand for landscaping plants has already spiked, but the demand for tomato and pepper sets is only just beginning. Many home garderners here transplant in towards the middle to beyond the prime transplanting window. So if the window is March, they look to get their sets in the garden the last week of March or into the first half of April. Wonder what will be out there across the region in terms of variety and quality two or four weeks and beyond? North Texas and Louisiana will just be getting into their prime transplanting time. Maybe the whole transplant supply chain will be back to normal by then. It sure isn’t here and now.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

stone
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:21 am

I don't have lists of anything... but....
I have a ghost pepper that has gone through a third winter... looking forward to being able to set that baby back out... It did very well last summer, I still have several strings of peppers... Unfortunately, when the peppers dry, they just aren't as hot as when they were fresh!
I have a Carolina Reaper that is on it's second winter...
I even have a yellow bell that has survived the winter (in my bedroom).
Plus several pots of calico peppers... with seedlings up in the rootball!
The exciting thing about potting peppers for the winter is how extremely productive they are after having survived a winter dormancy... You just don't get that from a first year seedling!

HenriSportif
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:48 pm

That sounds great, Stone. I've been wanting to try over wintering some peppers but haven't done it yet - maybe this year I'll put a couple in the garage.

This is the first year I've grown anything hotter than a habanero, and I'm thinking I'll wear gloves when potting them up in a day or two! :shock:
~Bee

This then is life - How curious! How real! Underfoot, the divine soil - Overhead, the sun.

JenniferBella
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:05 pm

signal-2021-03-07-191511_006.jpeg
Currently Growing:
Black Cobra Pepper
Black Panther Pepper
Blot Pepper (not looking the BEST – both isolated)
Blue Christmas Pepper
Buena Mulatto Pepper
Calico Pepper
Candlelight Mutant Pepper
CHEIRO ROXA x SC
Chocolate Hand Grenade Pepper
Chupetinho Black Pepper
Darth Maul Pepper
Dieghito Jalapeno (Sad looking but producing a pepper)
Emplosive Ember Pepper
Fatali White Pepper
Filius Blue Pepper
Hallows Eve Pepper (OFF PHENO)
Jigsaw Pepper
Komodo Dragon Pepper
Leysa Pepper
Marusha Variegated Pepper
Midnight Mass Pepper
Neon Yellow Naga Pepper
Pimenta Jolokia Ice
Pimenta Jolokia Peach Fire
Pimenta Leopard
Pimenta Lisa
Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut Pepper
Pockmark Orange Pepper
Purple Cacho White Leaf
Purple Tiger Pepper
Purple UFO Pepper
Purple UFO Fluorescent
Red-Headed Stepchild
Roxa Lantern Pepper
Sandra's Gnarly Orange Pepper
Scarlett Variegated Pepper
Scorpion Tongue Pepper
Taj Mahal Minion Army
Thor’s Thunderbolt Pepper
Tiger Jalapeno
Variegated Jalapeno
Uchu Cream Pepper
Uchu Cream x Mutant Pepper
Vampire Pepper
signal-2021-03-07-191719_003.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Pepper Patch”