Sabrosito/Sabrocito Pepper - Anyone Grown This?

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
Tallylassie
Reactions:

Sabrosito/Sabrocito Pepper - Anyone Grown This?

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:25 pm

I have a mystery pepper plant that I believe may be sabrosito from Puerto Rico. It is mild to medium hot with small peppers maturing from green, brown to red. Sorry, I can't post a photo. I haven't been able to find any info online about the size of the pepper or close ups of the shape. I remember none of the pepper seeds germinated so I tossed the rest of the package into a pot. Not sure if it was this pot! So far, it has had about 4 peppers on it.
I mistakenly thought it was a miniature chocolate bell and chopped up a couple for a pizza. Really burned my hands, especially under the fingernails!
If anyone has grown this pepper, please let me know how large the pepper should be and anything else to i.d. it.
Thanks!

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Re: Sabrosito/Sabrocito Pepper - Anyone Grown This?

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:21 pm

[mention]Tallylassie[/mention] I haven't grown it, but I did find a link to a grower that has a photo and some other information...

https://www.gonzalezagrogardens.com/pro ... eed-packet
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Tallylassie
Reactions:

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:46 am

Thank you for the link. That was the source of my seeds. Their germination rates were good pre hurricane and I didn't want to write something negative about the grower. I did not contact them about the germination.
The mature pepper does not look like any of the sabrocito peppers online. I found a couple of images last night of the mature, red fruit and there is also a youtube video with good photos of the foliage and fruit. The plant I have does not match the other three images I have found. The foliage is much darker and the peppers are much larger than a cherry. For some reason, I can't get the links to work here, but if you are interested, they did come up on a Google images search. In the video, the peppers are definitely small and flattened. My small, unripe fruit look identical to the grower's photo, but the mature peppers do not resemble the other photos of sabrocito that I have found. I haven't planted any other pepper similar to this. Still not sure exactly what this pepper is. Maybe several different peppers are called this in Puerto Rico.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:02 am

Sabrosito is sort of Spanish for tasty.
There are several called this and difficult to pin down any particular one due to its name.
There are even dog treats called this and I think snacks for people.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Tallylassie
Reactions:

Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks for the laugh, Worth! I have been ill post Pfizer and haven't checked the site. That explains why my seeds do not look correct.

Return to “The Pepper Patch”