Bush/Semi-Bush Sweet Potatoes

Glitch
Reactions: 11

Bush/Semi-Bush Sweet Potatoes

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:45 pm

While hunting for somewhere to preorder sweet potato slips I noticed that there are actually bush varieties available. Anyone have any experience with these?

I am probably going to order from Sand Hill Preservation Center after I narrow down the varieties.
Miniature enthusiast. USDA Zone 6A.

Whwoz
Reactions: 571

Re: Bush/Semi-Bush Sweet Potatoes

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:59 pm

They are just as good as the running varieties, only the tops are much shorter and may take a bit longer for the roots to be ready to dig. Overall you are probably better off selecting based on root preferred and controlling tops if too big for area

Glitch
Reactions: 11

Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Whwoz wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:59 pm
They are just as good as the running varieties, only the tops are much shorter and may take a bit longer for the roots to be ready to dig. Overall you are probably better off selecting based on root preferred and controlling tops if too big for area
I wasn't sure how far I could cut back the tops and not affect the final harvest size too much. I grew regular vining sweet potatoes in really big bins last year. I just let the vines run wild across my deck. Two out of the three varieties were successful. I just sprouted grocery store sweet potatoes, so I'm not sure on all the varieties. One was all purple, and then there was murasaki and okinawan. The murasaki and all purple did well, but my okinawan bin was pretty much entirely skinny roots. It was my first time growing sweet potatoes in general.
Miniature enthusiast. USDA Zone 6A.

Whwoz
Reactions: 571

Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:38 pm

@Glitch You can also put a trellis up on the bins if you use them again and tie/guide the runners to the bins to keep them off the deck if you want to. They don't climb like beans or peas but have no objection to being trained to climb

Return to “Potatoes”