potatoes again!

Bower
Reactions: 1775

potatoes again!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Today I spotted several tufts of potatoes coming up in the garlic bed where they were grown last year. So I pulled them up and rescued them, as I do believe they were some of my favorite kinds. :) Couple of Bellanita and a German Butterball. I have a few as well that I kept for seed, which we brought up from the cellar last week. But I had no place prepared to plant them.
So finally this afternoon I went and broke ground in my old vegetable garden, which has been nothing but grass and weeds for over a decade. I believe the snow a couple days ago softened it up, and in an hour with the sharp little pick I had made a few drills to plant.
I am really stoked to see that old dirt looking not bad at all. And thinking fondly of how hard I worked to build up the organic matter back when it was in use. You can see the clay, certainly, and has pretty filled up again with rocks, but still... not bad. It's certainly acidic, and was even going to moss in places, but potatoes are supposed to like that. :roll:
If I can get those potatoes to grow, I will heap it up with good stuff and by the end of season, will have my old bed shipshape again.
spuds-overwintered167.JPG
spuds-overwintered167.JPG (136.57 KiB) Viewed 823 times
potatodrills171.JPG
potatodrills171.JPG (268.04 KiB) Viewed 823 times
light-pickmattock166.JPG
light-pickmattock166.JPG (121.14 KiB) Viewed 823 times
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Bower

Re: potatoes again!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Planted the seed potatoes this morning. I had enough for one row of reds : All Red and Candy Cane. And the rest are Bellanita.
Six 5 gallon buckets of garden compost and some herb straw on top just to retain a bit of moisture. I was glad of it when the neighbor's cat came through! :)
Thanks to that great post by @GoDawgs about determinate vs indeterminate potatoes, I did not plant the German Butterball with the rest! Yes I recognize it now, Butterball was the key troublemaker in my mixed patch last summer. Giant plants! I need a deeper and less rocky place for those monsters, and I won't be letting them eat the All Red like they did last year. :lol: I believe the rest are determinate, so they will be manageable and not too different from one another.
I opened another drill this evening, for the little Bellanita that came from the garlic bed - of course, I forgot them! :oops:
Now I need a scheme for the GB, a tall order since I've little deep soil here. I thought they were a good potato in spite of being monsters. Very little scab and decent production.
spuds-planted-190.JPG
spuds-planted-190.JPG (321.24 KiB) Viewed 786 times
temperate marine climate

Paquebot
Reactions: 72

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:34 pm

There's just one problem with transplanting volunteers. The tuber-producing stolons are invariably damaged and no tubers are formed. When I have had to transplant a volunteer, it has been with a shovel in order to get as much soil and do minimum damage to the stolons. That is only if it's in a location where it must be moved. Otherwise, where possible, I treat them just as if I had planted them there.

Martin

Bower

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:07 am

Tx for that advice Martin. I did take them up as gently as possible but I won't expect too much from them in that case. I still haven't put them out in the field. There was no way I would leave them to grow among the garlic. ;)
temperate marine climate

brownrexx
Reactions: 1182

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:24 am

I have never transplanted any volunteers but I do get plenty of them.We Rototill in the fall and it spreads pieces of missed potatoes throughout the garden so they come up all over the place. Unless they are in a really inconvenient spot I leave them alone and get a nice early crop of potatoes well ahead of the crop produced by my seed potatoes. It's fun.

Here are some of my volunteers from last year, probably Kennebec but I get a few red ones every year even though I have not planted Red Norland in about 4 years.

brownrexx

Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:07 am

Last evening I was checking the garden and noticed that some of my volunteer potato plants were wilting and dying so I decided to pull a few of them. They were not completely dead but they were in the way of the corn which is now starting to grow more due to the recent rain. I ended up with 9.5 lbs of nice potatoes. I like these first fresh potatoes and tonight I will slice some of them with Vidalia onions and cook them in a foil packet on the grill.

I only pulled about 4 plants and there are at least 10 more volunteers in the garden. The 4 small rows of potatoes that I planted in late May have just finished flowering so I will not harvest them for about a month. They will last all winter in storage in wooden baskets in my basement.

ImageVolunteers 2021 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

JRinPA
Reactions: 196

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:14 am

Those look nice. I wish I had some for fries right now. I haven't been growing potatoes long enough I guess, as I have yet to find a volunteer.
I transplanted a block of corn over a bed of potatoes and am curious how each will do. The lehigh potatoes were just sprouting through. The corn transplants were about 10 days old. I lost pair of corn where the potatoes dragged them back down (it was biblical) but I think all the others made it. That corn is about 3-4 foot now, it was part of the second round for the year, and the first block was started pollination last week. I figured I timed it well enough so the potatoes got a strong sunny start, but that the corn would be picked before the potatoes needed digging.

brownrexx

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:34 am

Some of my volunteer potato plants are between the corn rows and the corn is not full height yet but the potato plants are drying up so I dug another 10 lbs over the weekend. I was happy to get them out of the way of the corn.

My 4 rows of potatoes that I planted just finished flowering about 2 weeks ago so they will not be harvested for a while but I expect that I will have more potatoes than I need.

Making potato salad today.

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 1083

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:00 pm

@brownrexx Will that be potato salad with your baked potatoes, mash and chips or without ?
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

brownrexx

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:58 pm

@Amateurinawe My potato salad is small cubes of potatoes that I boil, cool and add chopped celery, chopped hard boiled egg and mayo, cider vinegar, dijon mustard, sugar and salt. It is eaten chilled.

Sometimes I peel the potatoes and sometimes I don't. These will be peeled because I am using the imperfect ones first and some of these have marks and scars on the skin.

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 1083

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm

That sounds delicious, i love dijon mustard. Skins on or off does depend on how good the skins are.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “Potatoes”