oops I got carried away

wykvlvr
Reactions:

oops I got carried away

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pm

When Fedco shut down my seed order but allowed me to order from the potato page... I ordered 3 fingerling varieties: La Ratte, AmaRosa, and Austrian Crescent PLUS I got Nicola a mid season potato, and Bintje a late season potato.
THEN I remembered I had already ordered potatos... I have Yukon Gold and Adirondack Blue potatoes coming from Pinetree and Harvest Moon from Burpee...
EEEK I now have more potatoes coming then I know what to do with... OH and did I mention this is only my second year to try potatoes...

Now to find room for at least half of them... Last year my potatoes were in 6 grow bags but I only had 2 varieties, Satina and Harvest Moon AND I was not impressed but the results in the taller bags but the shallower wider bags were okay... Thoughts at the moment put the Yukon Gold in my little box which is about 18 inches wide by 8 ft long... I can use the grow bags I have, they range in size from my big 20 gallon (20 by 14 inches) down to the three 7 gallon "potato bags" that are about worthless at 12 inches wide but 14 inches tall. OR gulp how much ground space do I need for 16 pounds of seed potatoes... or 8 if I only use half and give the others away.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Re: oops I got carried away

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Ha! I did that with peas -- ordered far more varieties than I can fit in my garden before the inferno (90-100F) starts up.

I grew purple fingerlings once, which I got from a neighbor at the community garden, but they were not very productive and that was several gardens ago. Last year I planted sprouted red and yellow potatoes, and even though I found a gopher tunnel when it was time to harvest the potato bed, I still got a very nice harvest.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:57 pm

At least I know I may be able to give away about half of them to my friend... her BF has a larger garden and space for anything I want to send his way... but I am really wanting to grow at lest a few of each variety... I just need to figure out where to put them AND leave space for the other stuff I need to grow.
Wyoming
Zone 5

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:46 pm

wykvlvr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pmI ordered 3 fingerling varieties: La Ratte, AmaRosa, and Austrian Crescent PLUS I got Nicola a mid season potato, and Bintje a late season potato.
AmaRosa is a good variety. Highly recommend it.

bower
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:57 pm

If you have a lawn you have room to grow potatoes. ;) Just sayin... when I see lawn, I think "potatoes". Okay, just my mother's lawn. But.... you know?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:34 pm

Grin I have dogs therefore I have no lawn... I have a dirt yard and my fenced garden area... Actually I have been eyeing my front yard.... I do have an area I can put things in but I was going to use that for tomatoes... wry grin the landscape timbers make a nice "fence" for small grow bags for my micro dwarfs
Wyoming
Zone 5

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:42 pm

Bower wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:57 pm If you have a lawn you have room to grow potatoes. ;) Just sayin... when I see lawn, I think "potatoes". Okay, just my mother's lawn. But.... you know?
That's what I think when I see a lawn! Years and years ago, my aunt had some relatives visiting from the then-Soviet Union. One of them looked at all the big suburban lawns in New Jersey and said, if we had all this land, we'd be growing potatoes!

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:10 pm

So my potatoes ended up in 9 grow bags in the garden proper PLUS a bed in the front yard. I used 1 bag per variety and I gave away many to newbies who lived in the area. Finally the seed potatoes that were left got planted in a part of the front yard... that happened almost a month after the grow bags were planted. Both sets of potatoes are doing well. In fact I am celebrating the arrival of flowers on all my early varieties in the grow bags :) I may get potatoes this year...
Wyoming
Zone 5

Return to “Potatoes”