Fall Planted Potatoes

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fall Planted Potatoes

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Having read a few articles about fall planted potatoes I decided to plant just three hills mid October as an experiment. The theory in the articles was that you plant in the fall and the potatoes just grow underground, developing great root systems so that when spring comes they'll pop right up a lot sooner than spring planted potatoes.

Well, that might happen up north but down here in Georgia they wanted to come up in November although very slowly once colder weather set in. Every once in a while they poke up higher after a warm spell and then I dump more leaves over them for frost protection when a cold spell comes through.

Baby sitting potatoes. LOL! I'll be planting the spring ones mid February, whatever the local feed & seed is selling. Most likely Yukon Gold and either Red Pontiac or Kennebec. Did the Red Pontiac last year along with the YG and will try the Kennebec with the YG this year if they have them.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Re: Fall Planted Potatoes

Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 am

How did your potato experiment turn out?
Vladimír

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Fall Planted Potatoes

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 am

The plants died back so I forgot about them. They didn't sprout in the spring. Then last month one sprout came up and as I was mindlessly weeding that bed I accidentally pulled it up. One small potato under it. Enough of trying "fall potatoes" here. :)

Return to “Potatoes”