Tons of fingerlings!

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Tons of fingerlings!

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:37 pm

And garlic! Soon as I figure photos...on a old iPad...

bower
Reactions:

Re: Tons of fingerlings!

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 pm

Hey pmcg! Glad to hear you got a good harvest.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Lonejack
Reactions:

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:16 am

I just finished using up the last of the Kennebecs from my harvest. They were just starting to sprout so I made a bunch of twice baked potatoes with about 8 lbs. and froze them I haven't grown any fingerlings for a couple years but I might plant a few this year if my favorite gardening store offers one I haven't grown before.

I still have a couple dozen garlic bulbs left in the fridge to get me by until spring. I planted 133 cloves of 4 varieties back in October. German White, Spanish Roja, Chesnok Red, and Music. Only had a couple dozen above ground when I mulched the bed in mid November.
Kansas City, zone 6a

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:05 am

I'm planting lots of potatoes this spring, mostly fingerlings ( I sold a lot at $4/lb this summer) Magic Molly, French Fingerling, LaRatte, Papa Cacho, Banana, Purple Peruvian, Rose Finn Apple, Natascha, Pinto Gold and German Butterball.
I planted 1400 cloves of garlic this fall. Chesnok Red, Music, Georgia Crystal, German White, German Red, Siberian, Montana Zemo and Persian Star.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:51 pm

We're definitely growing potatoes next spring. I had some fingerlings and reds this past year from sprouty old things, but this time I'll have to go online and find some good seed potatoes to try out.
temperate marine climate

Lonejack
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:41 am

pmcgrady - I've only grown French Fingerlings and German Butterball from your potato list. I'd like to try LaRatte and Pinto Gold some time but I'm reliant on what my local seed store offers. They usually have about a dozen varieties with a couple fingerlings. I only plant about 100 sq/ft of potatoes each year with around 70 seed tubers.
Kansas City, zone 6a

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:29 am

Most of potatos I bought, came from The Maine Potato Lady, but now I just save potatos from ones that I grew and add a couple new ones. Pinto Gold ( has red and yellow skins), Papa Cacho (red skins, some are 12" long), Magic Molly (purple skins and flesh) are some of my favorites. 2 new ones I'm trying this year are Moulin Rouge and Masquerade...

Lonejack
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:08 am

Many of the online potato vendors won't ship as early as I like to plant (mid March) because they are concerned that the tubers will get frozen in transit. I understand this concern since many of them are in the northern tier of states. A few years ago I ordered German Butterball and Austrian Crescent fingerling from Debruyn seed in MIchigan and they shipped them to me in mid March without a problem. They don't offer a huge selection but their prices are great as was the quality.
Kansas City, zone 6a

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:30 am

The Maine Potato Lady usually ship during the last week of March.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I've been looking online, and it seems I'll have to get seed from Eagle Creek in Alberta. My mom is adamant that she wants the potatoes she loves - a blue one, like from her childhood, and Yukon Gold which my Dad grew for many years. Not sure if she'll agree to the Blue Mac which they offer, but they are the only place in Canada I saw YG. I would like to try a bunch of different ones as well, and they offer 4 packs. The shipping will be wicked, unfortunately! And we'll probably order for their last ship period in May to avoid that frost in transit.
temperate marine climate

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm going thru the duds, but they look pretty good so far
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lonejack
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:46 am

I love the coloring on the Pinto Gold. Those look like they are still in great shape. I have to put my seed tubers in the fridge if I want them to make it to my March planting date.
Kansas City, zone 6a

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:43 pm

I have peck bushels I haven't sorted them yet, lots more than I expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lonejack
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:53 pm

pmcgrady wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:43 pm I have peck bushels I haven't sorted them yet, lots more than I expected.
What's your secret for long storage? Do you have a root cellar? I'm lucky if I can make it to Thanksgiving and still have usable spuds. I store mine in my tornado shelter in my basement where it stays in the mid 60s in the summer and fall. Kennebec stored the longest for me this year but I still had to make and freeze a bunch of twice baked potatoes a few weeks ago to use up the last 7 or 8 lbs. because they were starting to go south.

I plant mid March and usually harvest around July 4. I may try to leave some in the ground longer this year in an effort to have them store later. Usually I'm in a hurry to get them out so I can sow fall carrots and green beans in the same beds but I don't sow those until late July so I can at least wait a few more weeks to dig the spuds.

This year I shredded about 10 lbs. of Red Norlands and dehydrated them for hash browns. I still have 4 qts. left so I guess between those and the twice baked in the freezer I still technically have garden potatoes left. :D
Kansas City, zone 6a

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I've tried mesh bags, bigger cardboard boxes or big bushel baskets, they weigh to much and start sprout early.
I have a basement on my cabin that's around 50-55 degrees and run a dehumidifier 24/7, store potatoes in cardboard beer/soda flats on racks. Run a fan to move the air... Any sprouts just snip them off.

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Lonejack wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:53 pm
pmcgrady wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:43 pm I have peck bushels I haven't sorted them yet, lots more than I expected.
What's your secret for long storage? Do you have a root cellar? I'm lucky if I can make it to Thanksgiving and still have usable spuds. I store mine in my tornado shelter in my basement where it stays in the mid 60s in the summer and fall. Kennebec stored the longest for me this year but I still had to make and freeze a bunch of twice baked potatoes a few weeks ago to use up the last 7 or 8 lbs. because they were starting to go south.

I plant mid March and usually harvest around July 4. I may try to leave some in the ground longer this year in an effort to have them store later. Usually I'm in a hurry to get them out so I can sow fall carrots and green beans in the same beds but I don't sow those until late July so I can at least wait a few more weeks to dig the spuds.

This year I shredded about 10 lbs. of Red Norlands and dehydrated them for hash browns. I still have 4 qts. left so I guess between those and the twice baked in the freezer I still technically have garden potatoes left. :D
Don't plant all off them at one time, give them 2-3 weeks and plant more, it's not set in time or date

TheDante
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 am

Nice spuds you got there :D

Just went to look for ours.. and this is what I found.. there goes our dinner! :lol:
20191221_131556.jpg
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:01 pm

I'm guessing... They sprouted early?...

TheDante
Reactions:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:38 am

pmcgrady wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:01 pm I'm guessing... They sprouted early?...
yea they did :lol:
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Almost done...

Return to “Potatoes”