What do you think of cucamelons?

Shule
Reactions:

What do you think of cucamelons?

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:50 pm

I've never grown cucamelons, but I have grown West India burr gherkins, which are bigger and spikier than cucamelons. For those who have grown cucamelons, how do you feel about them as a food crop (aesthetics, and cuteness aside, although you're free to talk about those qualities, too, of course)?

Do you feel like you get much out of eating them? Are they nice in salads? Cooked?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: What do you think of cucamelons?

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:59 pm

What is a cucamelon? Is it a hybrid of cukes & melons?

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:07 pm

[mention]Nan6b[/mention]
Nope. It's the species Melothria scabra. They're supposed to taste like cucumbers, though.

root_grow
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:03 am

I grew them once, from seedlings I purchased. The seedlings looked healthy when I bought them, but they were suuuper slow to take off after transplant. They were cute plants that scrambled in strange directions across a chicken wire trellis. Very cute fruits, as you already know, very cute.

I found them annoying to harvest, but I'm easily annoyed by harvesting teeny things. They tasted sour, more like lime juice infused with a cucumber slice than like cucumber. I love limes and I'm one of those people that always eats the lemons from lemon water, but I didn't enjoy the cucamelons enough to eat more than 2 at a time, they're too sour. The texture was fun, they'd burst in your mouth a little like cherry tomatoes do, with much more crunch. I could see kids enjoying them to nibble here and there. I think they'd be weird in a lettuce salad. I'd consider blending them into a homemade salad dressing as a replacement for the vinegar on a cabbage or kale salad though. They'd probably make good pickles. No idea how they'd be cooked. They stay fresh on a shelf for a very long time.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:44 am

[mention]root_grow[/mention]
Awesome! That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. From what you said, I think I'd want to try them, and that I'd probably find a use for them.

I wonder what kind of pH they have.

PhilaGardener
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:31 am

Has to be acidic! :D
Gardening near Philadelphia (USA)

root_grow
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 am

:lol: I hope you enjoy them! Now I'm curious, how do you think you'll use them?

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 pm

[mention]root_grow[/mention]
Not sure, yet, but if they're very sour, they're bound to have uses in seasoning things, like fruit smoothies or meat. Plus, they might be high in vitamin C or other helpful acids. Spaghetti sauce tastes great with a little extra vitamin C. Maybe they can neutralize the chlorine in water like lemons can. I like the idea of blending them up and using that.

Extra ripe West India burr gherkins taste pretty much like vitamin C. I'm thinking maybe cucamelons are like that without being extra ripe.

jamieo
Reactions:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:21 am

I grew some a couple of years ago. They really are not that sour or bitter- they taste a bit like a cucumber with a hint of lemon. The vines are VERY aggressive and it can be a challenge to find the fruits among the leaves when it is time to harvest them. They were an interesting experiment, but I didn't like them well enough to make them a permanent part of my garden. I think that kids love them as they are kind of fun to eat. Give them a decent trellis with plenty of room for them to grow onto and you'll have a good crop. If I remember correctly, they were a bit slow growing at the beginning but they took off once the weather got really hot. Good Luck!

Gthegardener
Reactions:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm

I grew Mexican Sour Gherkins last year and really enjoyed them! I grew them in a pot next to where my fencing met at 90 degrees and they had many short vines (3' or so) and were very productive! They taste like a juicy cucumber very fresh and crunchy. They were also very tasty when pickled! I did not have any luck with the west india burr gherkins, mine were not productive at all (never produced a single cucamelon) when grown in the same conditions. I'm definitely growing the Mexican sour gherkins again this year!
“Life begins the day you start a garden” - Chinese proverb

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:40 pm

I have grown those small, Mexican sour gherkins, as well as the Indian burr gherkin. The MSG was very small, looking like miniature watermelons - about 1 1/4" x 3/4" - and very sour. Definitely best when pickled, even if a quick pickle. The burr gherkins were about 3-3 1/2" x 1", and very spiny - these spines had to be rubbed off, which was sort of a pain, and probably the reason I didn't grow them again. They weren't sour, and had a strong cucumber flavor, making great pickles. Both were very productive, on the vines.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:08 pm

I tried them last year... Novelty. Not worth eating...

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 am

I grow them every year as a novelty at my farmers market stand. They do take their time taking off, but once they do, they grow rampantly. I have never found them to be sour at all - just, well, cucumber-y. I do pick them young; I wonder if that makes a difference. Or maybe it's heat level - I'm in the relatively cool northeast. They are a pain to pick, being so tiny and hiding as well as they do, but still worth it for me. I bet they'd be wonderful as a pickle, though I've never done anything but munch them and sell them.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:00 am

I have seeds and I'll try. I prefer to judge everything myself. I look forward to.
Vlado

HL2601
Reactions:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:49 pm

I grew them and used them to infuse vodka. It was good. Also makes an interesting cocktail garnish. We made bloodies and a lemon cucumber more froofy drink. Yum.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:33 pm

I grew them one year and enjoyed them! But I enjoy anything I can eat in the garden while I'm working. Planning to grow them again this year.

NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 pm

It was a hassle.. they sprouted well and grew into healthy vines, BUT obviously there weren't enough pollinators on my balcony to make sure the blooms became fruits.. None of the vendors made sure I understood how important that was.

I ended up getting a few fruits, nice and fresh tasting... but I wonder if the crops would be bigger grown elsewhere.. probably.

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Does anyone know if the cuke beetles leave them alone? If so, I might give it a whirl.'

Linda

LJ in NY
Reactions:

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Labradors wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:36 pm Does anyone know if the cuke beetles leave them alone? If so, I might give it a whirl.'

Linda
Cuke beetles do not leave them alone but they seemed to power through it for me & they grew until frost. Mine were in a pot & put I it in the basement for the winter, it has started to sprout again from the tuber.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:22 am

Slightly sour, not really that sour. But the cucumber taste is more subdued than a cucumber. Quite prolific for the size of the plant. The problem I had was how hard they are. Crunchy yes, but sort of hard crunchy, especially the first bite due to the skin, unless you get them quite young.

Return to “Cucurbits”