Anyone tried Yuxi Jiang Bing Gua or Snake Bean

zendog
Reactions:

Anyone tried Yuxi Jiang Bing Gua or Snake Bean

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 pm

I was just looking through Baker Creek catalog and saw a few things that I found interesting and was wondering if any of you have tried. The catalogue writers create such great blurbs for everything but I know that is often more hype than reality, so I'm hoping to hear some real-world experiences on these before giving up my limited garden real estate.

The first was a squash called Yuxi Jiang Bing Gua that is supposed to be one that you can eat as a summer squash when young and a winter squash if you let it mature. I have been growing Tatume squash in this way and like it quite a bit as a summer squash, but it isn't what I'm looking for in a winter squash (it is more like a spaghetti squash in flavor, but I'd prefer more of a butternut). I had previously considered the tromboncino squash, but I understand the vines are big and sprawl all over. Tatume has always been a smallish vine and it also never gets taken out by squash borers that always kill my regular zukes. Since the Yuxi squash is a C. moschata I'm hoping it will resist borers pretty well also. Any chance Yuxi Jiang Bing Gua might be what I'm looking for? Anyone tried it? Are the vines manageable or beastly?

The second is the Chinese python snake bean, which sounds very interesting from the writeup. Anyone tried this one? Is it really as tasty as they claim and can be used like regular beans? And how vigorous is the vine?

Thanks!

arnorrian
Reactions:

Re: Anyone tried Yuxi Jiang Bing Gua or Snake Bean

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:53 am

I saw them on their site, and they look interesting. I ordered Black Futsu squash (pictures bellow) to try. I like that it's small, as I don't have much space in my garden. I ordered some larger varieties to give to my family and colleagues that have large gardens.

Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

zendog
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:20 pm

That one sounds pretty good as well. Any idea how big the vine gets? I really liked growing honeynut this year since the vines were quite small and manageable. I guess that is to be expected since the squash are small as well.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 pm

I saw that snake bean too. What a monster! I believe I've already selected this year's "toys" but that would be a candidate for 2021.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:54 pm

I also have a order waiting for delivery from Baker Creek I was tempted to order the Snake Bean decided not to at the last minute. Got Dragon Tongue instead. Mike

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:30 pm

[mention]arnorrian[/mention]
I grew Black Futsu, this year. It got maybe four small fruits. They were a little too small for me, but it was fun to grow, anyhow. It was a stark contrast with the Cushaw White squash that I grew next to it! Those got huge (as did the plant). Black Futsu's plant wasn't huge, but it still takes up a squash-like amount of space. One of my fruits was super weird-looking (I think it may have been a cross; I had three plants in one spot).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

arnorrian
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Good to know, thanks.

zendog
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Well I guess I waited too long and now the Snake Bean is sold out. I wonder if it will be back in stock before spring?

Maybe I should try the Kikinda Competition edible gourds.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:46 pm

Kikinda? That is from here, and I never heard of it.

zeedman
Reactions:

Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:17 pm

BC appears to have Snake Bean again this year. Did anyone here grow it? I'm normally a sucker for anything unusual, but the 20' long vines & long DTM spoken of in the reviews give me doubt that it would do well in my garden.
"But though an old man, I am but a young gardener.“ - Thomas Jefferson

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:34 am

Pickles decided it would be one of her garden toys this year and ordered it a month ago from BC along with some strange mustard that grows some big thing that looks like an ugly bald head. Ha! I just checked and it's called Bald Head Mustard. This should be interesting! Folks driving by will be wondering what the heck those two crazy ladies are growing now. :lol:

Return to “Cucurbits”