Tomato seeds for SASE or trade

JohnnyRock
Reactions:

Tomato seeds for SASE or trade

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Howdy Fellow Tomatovillians,

I recently posted this offer on tomatoville.com, but sadly it is going offline at the end of 2019, so many thanks go to Rajun Gardener for quickly creating this site! So here again is the offer...

I would like to offer some tomato seed varieties for SASE or trade. For SASE, I would appreciate if you could include small plastic bags for the seeds. For trades, I prefer sweet heirloom indeterminate varieties, but I am open to anything, including other vegetables and flowers. Please limit requests to 10 varieties. Seed quantities will be ~15 seeds per variety, depending on availability and requests. All are open pollinated. Send me a direct message with your choices, and I will respond with confirmation and my address.

Most of these are known heirlooms, but some are varieties which I have been selectively propagating for best flavor over the years, including My Sweet Plourde, Red Wapsipinicon Peach, and all of the varieties with names beginning with "Cherokee Yellow".

The Cherokee Yellow variants have an interesting backstory. In a nutshell, the Cherokee Yellow varieties are very healthy plants, heavy producers, and among the sweetest and best tasting tomatoes I have ever eaten, although they may still be unstable and tend to cross with other varieties easily. They also seem to have a high rate of germination, even on older seeds.

The Cherokee Yellow story began in Dec 2007 when I responded to a Tomatoville seed exchange offer from Mireille. She sent me seeds for several varieties, including Cherokee Green (thanks again, Mireille!). I grew one plant from those seeds in 2008, but instead of green tomatoes, it produced many delicious yellow tomatoes! I dubbed them Cherokee Yellow. I saved those seeds and grew them in 2009, and again got wonderful delicious yellow tomatoes. I skipped 2010, but grew the 2009 seeds in 2011. One of those plants produced half red and half yellow fruits which were also exceptionally tasty. I planted the 2011 seeds in 2012, and those plants produced some fruits that were mostly red with some yellow, and also some that were mostly yellow with some red. I have been calling the 2012 variants Cherokee Yellow Mostly Yellow (CYMY) and Cherokee Yellow Mostly Red (CYMR). As with the earlier generations, these were healthy plants with great production and exceptional flavor. I was unable to do much gardening between 2013-2018, but I did a little and got interesting tomatoes from a CYMR plant in 2015 which had green tops and a red bottoms. For lack of a better name, I have been calling this one CYGTRB. Also, in 2017, I got an interesting likely cross on a CYMY plant with Yellow Perfection which I dubbed Cherokee Yellow Perfection (CYP). This year (2019), I grew several CYP plants. Some of those produced CYP fruit. One of the CYP plants was a likely cross between CYP and a Wapsipinicon Peach (I'm reasonably sure of this cross since the fruit was fuzzy, and the only fuzzy variety I have grown is Wapsipinicon Peach). This plant produced the best tasting tomatoes I have ever eaten. Also this year, a pair of CYGTRB plants gave prolific production of small yellow pear shaped fruit on one plant, and red pear shaped fruit on the other. Both were very tasty. For now, I'm calling these Cherokee Yellow Yellow Pear (CYYP) and Cherokee Yellow Red Pear (CYRP). I also had a CYMR plant produce entirely red fruit this year, which I'm calling "Cherokee Yellow Red". And finally, I also had a CYMY plant produce an entirely yellow fruit this year, which I'm just calling "Cherokee Yellow, 2019".

For completeness, I should mention that I sent seeds from an early generation of Cherokee Yellow to Suze. She grew them and then posted that she did not think they were even related to the Cherokee tomato lineage. I have a lot of respect for Suze's opinion, but for now (until genetic testing is practical ), I am sticking with calling these Cherokee Yellow since they originated from Mireille's seeds which she had labeled as Cherokee Green.

Without further ado, here are the varieties I am offering:
Abe Lincoln
Annas Noir
Arkansas Traveler
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Berkley Tie Dye
Black Cherry, an old favorite, big plant, heavy producer, tasty fruit
Black Early (but not early for me)
Black Krim
Black Russian
Blue River
Boxcar Willie
Burgess Mammoth Wonder
Cherokee Purple, an old favorite, healthy plants, solid producer, great taste
Cherokee Yellow, 2008, parent was 2007 Cherokee Green from Mireille, solid yellow fruit
Cherokee Yellow, 2009, parent was 2008 Cherokee Yellow, solid yellow fruit
Cherokee Yellow, 2011, parent was 2009 Cherokee Yellow, half red, half yellow fruit
Cherokee Yellow Mostly Red (CYMR), 2012, parent was 2011 Cherokee Yellow
Cherokee Yellow Mostly Red (CYMR), 2019, parent was 2012 CYMR, some of these fruit were over 1 lb
Cherokee Yellow Mostly Yellow (CYMY), 2012, parent was Cherokee Yellow 2011
Cherokee Yellow Mostly Yellow (CYMY), 2019, parent was CYMY 2012
Cherokee Yellow Red, 2019, parent was CYMR 2012, solid red
Cherokee Yellow, 2019, parent was CYMY 2012, solid yellow
Cherokee Yellow Green Top Red Bottom (CYGTRB), 2015, parent was CYMR 2012
Cherokee Yellow Yellow Pear, (CYYP) 2019, parent was CYGTRB 2015
Cherokee Yellow Red Pear (CYRP), 2019, parent was CYGTRB 2015
Cherokee Yellow Perfection (CYP), 2015, parent was CYMY 2012, first one, limited supply
Cherokee Yellow Perfection (CYP), 2019, parent was CYP 2015
Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach (CYPP), 2019, parent was CYP 2015
Earl's Faux
Emma Pink
Golden Cherokee (no relation to Cherokee Yellow)
Golden Giant
Green Zebra
Gregori's Altai
Grubb's Mystery Green, one of my favorites, vigorous plant, good producer, fairly large and tasty fruit
Indian Stripe
Kellogg's Breakfast, an old favorite but didn't do well for me this year, slow grower, didn't produce many tomatoes
Large Barred Boar
Marizol Bratka
Mary Reynolds
Mobil
My Sweet Plourde (2019), parent was My Sweet Plourde 2017 (from a Plourde plant), likely cross with Black Cherry, about the size of Black Cherry, strong producer, sweet/delicious, like little globes of sugar, imho the taste is among the very best
Orenburg Giant
Peruvian Bush
Plourde
Red Zebra
Slavic Masterpiece
Tiger Tom
Viva Italiano
Wapsipinicon Peach, one of my favorites
Red Wapsipinicon Peach (2019), parent was Wapsipinicon Peach (yellow), apparently crossed with some red variety, fuzzy like the peach, nice flavor
Yellow Perfection, one of my favorites
Yoder's German Yellow
Yellow In/Red Out (no known relation to Cherokee Yellow)

That's all, let me know if you have questions.

Mecktom
Reactions:

Re: Tomato seeds for SASE or trade

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 am

Replied to this offer on TV but somehow lost your addy! Could you send me a pm with it? Thanks!

encore
Reactions:

Re: Tomato seeds for SASE or trade

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:46 am

pm sent

Return to “Seed Offers”