Russian Heirlooms Seed Offer

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Russian Heirlooms Seed Offer

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 am

Who wants to try some seeds to verify they are what's advertised and grow true? Send me a PM with your list, how many seeds you want and an address. SASE and bags already labeled would be nice but not required.

NIKITOVKA Seeds - Ukraine and Russian Heirlooms https://nikitovka.com/en/
I found this site and ordered a few varieties not knowing if they are a legit company, I see they're selling on Ebay and Amazon so they must be reputable, Right? Has anyone ordered from them before? The prices are cheap, the seed count is a crazy 40 per order, shipping was free and they took 8 days to get here from Ukraine.

TOMATO PERTSEVIDNYY
Mid-late variety (115-130 days). Bush strong, height 180-200cm. The fruits are oblong-cylindrical, red color, smooth, dense, weight 150-200g, good taste. Grow in open ground or greenhouse.
image.png

TOMATO SKORPION
Mid-season (90-110 days), high-yielding Russian heirloom for open ground and greenhouses. Indeterminate tomato, plant grows 150-180cm (60-70in.) tall. Huge, flat, crimson, beefsteak tomatoes, weight up to 800g (28oz.) with an excellent, sweet taste. Resistant to all major tomato diseases.
image.png

TOMATO BOGATYR MASLOV
Mid-season famous Russian Heirloom variety. Indeterminate tomato, plant grow is unlimited. Large, round, bright red fruits with an excellent taste. One of the best varieties for salads.
image.png

SWEET PEPPER TAIBEI
Mid-season (60 days after transplant) Chinese heirloom variety. Small but strong plant grows 45-50cm (17-20in.) tall. Large, shiny, dark red peppers, weight 130-300g (4.5-11oz.). Resistant to adverse weather conditions.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Re: Russian Heirlooms Seed Offer

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 am

I have got seeds from Nikitovka for a couple of years. Last year I grew Tomato Pertsevidnyy it's' sort of a paste type 12 to 15 oz picked 18 tons from 1 plant
I also grew Sweet pepper Taibel they were 5/6 oz sort of hollow like got 23 from that plant

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Hmmm, Doesn't this thread belong in the seed swap section?
~ Patti ~

agee
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 pm

Hl2601 did a seed offer at Tomatoville in January 2019, thread title was NIKITOVKA seed offer.

HL2601
Reactions:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 pm

I did do that offer- Many folks participated. I grew several of the varieties out and they were true to type.

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm

"NIKITOVKA Seeds - Ukraine and Russian Heirlooms https://nikitovka.com/en/
I found this site and ordered a few varieties not knowing if they are a legit company, I see they're selling on Ebay and Amazon so they must be reputable, Right? Has anyone ordered from them before? The prices are cheap, the seed count is a crazy 40 per order, shipping was free and they took 8 days to get here from Ukraine."

I've ordered from them several times. Good service -- slow delivery, but always got the seeds. Although if want them sooner, they offer delivery with a tracking number, and I think they are sent air mail. Ask them.

sjamesNorway
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm

I bought seeds for Tarasenko Rozhevyi ("Tarasenko Pink") from them which weren't right.

Steve

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:09 pm

. I see they're selling on Ebay and Amazon so they must be reputable, Right?
I don’t know if you are kidding or not. And this is not a commentary on that seed seller. Just because they sell on Amazon or EBay doesn’t mean they are legit. Plenty of misrepresentation, fakes, and over pricing as well. I don’t blame Amazon. I am sure they can’t really keep on top it. Stop one company and they probably just sell under a new name. I do read the read the reviews and hope there are not too many fake ones. Asking here and getting a good response is your best bet.

Good luck with the trial.

(Several seed companies are selling ‘Italian Tomato tree seeds’ and showing a picture of the gigantic tomato plant that is grown at Disney in Orlando at ‘The Land’ exhibit. It can produce 14,000 tomatoes. It is not from seeds from Italy —they came from Beijing, China.
One seller puts a picture of that Disney tomato plant and sells you Italian tree tomato trip-l-crop. Trip-l-crop seeds!! Phooey.)
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

vanalpaca
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:05 pm

I Have the first one you showed (translates as pepper) paste tomato. I have more than 50 varieties from Niki. Some are commercial. Not all she sells are heirlooms. But there are a lot of different hearts. I figure I will get the genetics in my yard...stuff reseeds here so early tomatoes do well usually. A lot of her tomatoes are not listed elsewhere to even figure out if they are right or not. I will have fun growing them and taking notes and saving the seed. Feel free to pm me on your results this fall!!!!
The earth calls unto me and feeds my soul......

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 pm

I've ordered from them in the past and speak a little Russian which is related to Ukrainian, so I have the benefit of being able to double check photos and descriptions on Russian and Ukrainian language sites. They sell on EBay and also have their own website. I've found them to be reputable with very generous seed quantities, but sometimes their descriptions aren't accurate, especially for plant height, and I've had a few tomatoes that either weren't true-to-type or contained a % of mixed up or crossed seeds. One example was Tayana which is a carrot leaf with about 50% of the seedlings showing potato leaf which I was able to cull because I knew what to look for. Two of the dwarfs I bought were definitely not what they were supposed to be and I had a random off type (probably DeBarao red) grow from a pack of Vechniy Zov (Eternal Call) and Demidov seeds which were otherwise true to type. This is a risk of course for anyone who is home growing and home collecting heirlooms if this is how they're producing seeds or acquiring seeds, so it's not unique to them, but I mention because I've encountered this with their seeds. I've also grown other varieties from them that were 100% true to type, at least from the seed lot that I grew. Our family is 100% E.European/Slavic and I love collecting these varieties.
Debbie

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:01 pm

eyegrotom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 am I have got seeds from Nikitovka for a couple of years. Last year I grew Tomato Pertsevidnyy it's' sort of a paste type 12 to 15 oz picked 18 tons from 1 plant
I also grew Sweet pepper Taibel they were 5/6 oz sort of hollow like got 23 from that plant
I think you probably meant 18 tomatoes, but if it's 18 tons I want me some of those :D
The best things in life---are not things.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:29 pm

@ mikestuff49
Yes I meant 18 toms from 1 plant. Good catch

agee
Reactions:

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:51 am

Hi Rajun Gardener,
I got the seeds a few days ago, sorry for not acknowledging earlier and thank you for the offer.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:46 am

Any reports on how these seeds have performed for you? Are the plants true to type? Good germination? I'm interested in knowing.
~ Patti ~

loulac
Reactions:

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:09 pm

I find reasons for concern when a seller shows a huge list of varieties. It means there are lots of more or less reliable intermediaries and plenty of opportunities of mixups. I prefer smaller family growers

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:11 pm

I started a couple of plants of TOMATO PERTSEVIDNYY and I ended up pulling both of them last week. The fruit were not much bigger than a large grape tomato and certainly nowhere near the size shown within the persons hand and a lackluster taste. And looking now at the other photos in the description, that looks conflicting as well. Sorry Rob...
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

kath
Reactions:

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:17 pm

Reporting about the 3 varieties I grew from your offer, Rob:

PERTSEVIDNYY - seems I got the same as pond gardener- nothing like the photo. The fruits were tiny red plums from 0.6 to 1.3 oz. on small plants that took forever to ripen and had little flavor.

SKORPION - produced 6 pink beefsteaks (not crimson) ranging in size from 8 to 21 oz. on plants that were pruned/caged. Set fruits early and then not at all. Not sweet, more crunchy and sour; also not disease resistant.

BOGATYR MASLOV - Also produced just 6 fruits ranging in size from 12 to 23 oz., but they didn't look at all like the picture. They had ruffled shoulders, were not round; had a huge core, some zippering which led to rot; were dry and not sweet. Also gave up setting fruit and got leaf disease early.

kath

NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:54 pm

I wonder if their quality has gone down in recent years. Back in the 2013-2015, I placed quite a few orders on their eBay site. Reliable and prompt service, and most of the varieties grew true to type.. BUT one variety was totally different than the description. I e-mailed the and they promptly sent me a replacement batch, insisting that I have to grow it next year and report back the results... which I have not done yet...
So I believe they have good intentions.

By the way, James in Norway has said that he didn't get a true Tarasenko Rozevyi .. I have some seeds and they are my favourite pinks perhaps.. So good...

ddsack
Reactions:

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:24 pm

I ordered red Cherry Linda from Nikitovka this spring, it is supposed to be a very short basket type pot plant. I had 4 seeds started and ended up with two distinct types, two plants of each kind. Both were short, but two had rugose dwarf type leaves and the other two were normal RL's. One of the RL's had more elongated fruit, looked like Roma tomatoes. The other three all had round or oblate fruit. There were a couple of different pictures of it on the website, and even that was unclear as to the leaf type though one picture looked more rugose.

Return to “Seed Offers”