Carolyn's Last Seed Offer

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Carolyn's Last Seed Offer

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:58 am

Many of you may have already seen this, which was previously posted on Tville, but I also promised to make the offer here, and since I just recently got back on here (I was away during the switch-over, and missed the new link!) I am now posting it for all to participate. I've still got plenty of seeds for almost all varieties, so - have fun!

So. Finally, and respectfully, here it is. Dr. Carolyn’s final seed offer.
I plan fewer rules than she always did, because she wanted to track the results, successes, and failures of the seeds and the varieties. But this is the last offer in her name and memory (most likely). So while I’d like to know how the seeds do, I will not make reporting a rule of participation. Only, if the seeds grow and you are happy with the tomatoes, I hope you save seeds and share them with others, as Carolyn would have liked.

The procedure will be that you:
1. Study the list(s) of available tomatoes and select what you’d like to try.
2. Email me at **conantshawn @ gmail.com** (without the asterisks and spaces, of course), including your name and your TomatoJunction handle and list(s).
3. I will reply to your email with my mailing address, and perhaps other information.
4. Mail me an SASE with your TomatoJunction handle, a list of up to five varieties, and up to five more alternatives or desirables. (The emailed list is mainly for backup and redundancy purposes.)
5. I’ll try to fulfill orders as they come in, first come, first served, and post your screen name when they go out.

I’ll post availability updates as necessary. (I don’t expect shortages, but if there’s a run on certain ones, well, you know…) I’ll post when the offer is closed, of course.
Most of the recent varieties I have originally came from Lotte in Denmark, although a few are from Andre. Lotte seems to like small tomatoes, so there are lots of cherries and currants, but some bigger ones, too. I also still have seeds for most of the varieties from the last offer, and will make them available again, with this caveat: they are older, and some folks had germination trouble even when they were fresher. I’ll send more than 5 or 6 seeds from them, but no more assurances. For many of those I have my own stock of fresher seeds (because I liked them!) and so for some, if needed, I may be able to either regrow the variety for new replacement seeds, or I may be able to send a few seeds from my private stock. Just keep in touch.

About the variety list:
The main list (134 varieties to choose from!) is on this shared, protected Google Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I faithfully took photos of every tomato I saved seeds from this summer, but I was not so diligent about getting them off the camera. When I finally got around to doing that, I discovered, much to my horror, that the camera had been loaned to my precocious 5-year-old grandson to play with, and the only photos left on the camera were of him playing in fall leaves. Lesson learned…? I did have photos from ones I grew last year, so those are available to view on the spreadsheet. To view a photo, hover on the photo link for the variety and click on the pop-up link, and it will take you to the photo – it’s the one next to the highlighted cell. Click on “Sheet 1” on the bottom left to return to the list.

Most comments on the varieties on the spreadsheet are Lotte’s or Andre’s comments, unless my name appears. I wish I had taken better notes, but I expected the missing photos to do the talking…

All that being said, I have now grown most of these varieties at least once, and if you have any questions about a specific variety, ask away – I might just still remember something, and some are quite memorable indeed.

Also, if anybody seeing the spreadsheet knows of a misspelling or incorrect information on varieties, let me know and I will correct the spreadsheet as needed. (I admit to lousy typing!) And, of course, let me know if you are having trouble viewing the spreadsheet.

Shawn
AKA FarmerShawn

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Carolyn's Last Seed Offer

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Not Found, Error 404 is what I get.

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:10 pm Not Found, Error 404 is what I get.
I have the same message.
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:15 pm

The ... in the URL really is ... (that's why it doesn't work). Some of the URL is missing, is what I mean.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm

OK, try this one. Don't know why the original doesn't work - it does on Tville!

Shawn

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:45 pm

This is really weird. Anybody know how to get a working link to show? I now see the spreadsheet, but the link to the images doesn't work. If I click on an image link, the spreadsheet opens up in a new tab, but the image links still don't work. I don't get it!

That should be the link - if clicking on it doesn't work, maybe copy and paste to a new tab?

Baffled.

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Drat! Same result! One last try. Copy and paste this one, but delete the ** after https://

https://**docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OrRgqO_z-hrs5FBgSApEUeenFmyUgS1qk2KDS4WkfhA/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe?

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Huh. For me, post #6 has the speadsheet embedded into your post (which allows me to see the varieties). It loads kind of slowly on my device, though. It did the same thing for me when I tried posting that link in a preview (it embedded it in my post). Copying the URL and removing the ** works.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Post #6 does work for me too. You need to scroll to the top or all that you will see is the blank spreadsheet.

Thanks so much for posting this here Shawn.
~ Patti ~

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Thank you so much Shawn.
- Marsha

vanalpaca
Reactions:

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:25 am

If anyone has the Violet Kirsche Cherry tomato seeds, I have been looking for them to grow. Thanks!
The earth calls unto me and feeds my soul......

Return to “Seed Offers”