Estler's Mortgage Lifter

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Re: Estler's Mortgage Lifter

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:50 am

Thank you, everyone. I hope eventually they are able to prioritize testing and treatment of front line medical personel so that we are availalbe to keep caring for everyone else, but is not currently the case. We have 3 nurses and nurses aid on quarentine, at least 2 of those were actually sick, and only one could get tested because of the lack of available test kits. So people are at home and unavailable to care to people already because they might be positive but can't be tested. One nurse had a respiratory infection but only a temp of 100.2 and they are saying they won't test you unless you have a temp of 100.4. They won't test them to rule out flu because they don't want them doctor's offices or Emergency Rooms. If there is any question at all we need to be able to get medical personel tested immediatley and back to work if they are negative, supported with close monitoing and early care if they are positive. If they don't have front line people to take care of those who continue to get sick they haven't seen anything yet when it comes to how bad it will get. Even if eventually managed to get enough protective gear and ventilaotrs for patients, it won't do any good if you don't have anyone to take care of them once they are on the ventilator. SMH. Sorry for the rant.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Edie, did you send some to me? I never got them. We pm'd.
- Marsha

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Ginger2778 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm Hi Edie, did you send some to me? I never got them. We pm'd.
As she has said, she will get them out when she is on the mend. She does not want to make you sick, so please have patience.
~ Patti ~

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:50 am One nurse had a respiratory infection but only a temp of 100.2 and they are saying they won't test you unless you have a temp of 100.4. They won't test them to rule out flu because they don't want them doctor's offices or Emergency Rooms.
The rant was informative even if it wasn't about tomatoes. I had a question about testing though if you don't mind me straying off topic too. If they test you for the flu and you test positive, couldn't you still also test positive for covid-19 too (assuming there were test kits available)?

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:06 pm

No, they are different tests. COVID 19 is not the flu. They are different viruses. Wow, that was a while ago. Tests are still limited but not as limited as they were then. Now if you are a health care worker and have symptoms, and a temp of 100.1 I bleieve you will be tested at my facility for covid 19. If you have a known exposure and a temp greater than 100.1 I think you will be put into self quarantine and not allowed to work, I assume you will be tested but I don't know for sure. Right now I have been told they consider me to have been exposed but allow me to continue to work as a nurse and are not testing me. I am supposed to check my temp twice a day and report it and any symptoms. We now have mulitple tests for COVID 19 available but all are limited in availability to varying degrees. There is a one hour test available now, and I was told 2 days ago we had a total of 15 of those tests available in our hospital. That isn't very much. I went to get a different COVID test that I was expecting to have to do on a patient, and there were only 2 test kits on my floor. I notified them that we were low, but I have not idea how many were availble to restock our supply.

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:32 pm

Lemonboy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:42 pm
Sue_CT wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:50 am One nurse had a respiratory infection but only a temp of 100.2 and they are saying they won't test you unless you have a temp of 100.4. They won't test them to rule out flu because they don't want them doctor's offices or Emergency Rooms.
The rant was informative even if it wasn't about tomatoes. I had a question about testing though if you don't mind me straying off topic too. If they test you for the flu and you test positive, couldn't you still also test positive for covid-19 too (assuming there were test kits available)?
Yes, you can have both the flu and covid at the same time. Please do know that they are two different diseases. Hopefully this doesn't happen though.
~ Patti ~

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:09 pm

What I meant to get at that I did not explain clearly, is that they only were testing for COVID19 at that time if they did not have a more common or more likely diagnosis to explain the symptoms. Things have changed a lot since that post, COVID 19 is now more common than the flu and tests for it are more available even if not as many as we need, and COVID 19 now the more likely diagnosis so is the first to be ruled out.

LK2020
Reactions:

Fri May 01, 2020 6:12 pm

PM sent to EdieJ, please let me know if you receivedit.

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Wed May 06, 2020 10:30 am

My brother had what his doctor called "the flu" early this year. Severe joint pain, prolonged congestion, and shortness of breath. He did test positive for the flu, but that was all they tested for, and that was what they treated. I had the same symptoms although I didn't have as severe a congestion problem, mostly just a sore throat. I also had persistent joint pain in my hands and one seizure. I didn't have the flu though, even though I'm pretty sure whatever I did have came from him since I didn't get out much even before this years developments. It resolved itself so there was no treatment or followup, although they took away my driver's license for at least six months because of the seizure. But all of this was before they were even looking for anything novel coronavirus related here.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed May 06, 2020 5:06 pm

There is now a syndrome where every person who had a severe respiratory infection or flu like illness since last fall is pretty sure they really had COVID 19. There is of coarse, no way be 100% sure, but it is actually very unlikely. The chance that you had it before anyone even knew it was here is highly unlikely. Its kind of like a conspiracy theory in reverese. I think part of this is people want to think they had it, they got through it and they don't have worry about it so much any more. We all don't want to worry about it so much any more. The chances that your brother had the symptoms of the flu, test positive for the flu, but really had what at the time if it was here would have been a very rare disease, again, can't be 100% proven but highly unlikely. It is actually much more likely that you did have the flu, but only had a "rapid" flu test which is notoriously inaccurate, and got a very common false negative. Don't think you are immune or can let down your guard. You almost surely had the flu or another common virus that was going around.

loulac
Reactions:

Sat May 16, 2020 10:25 am

EdieJ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 pm William Estler, who bred the original ML was my Grandfather. ... I am the only one in the family left who gardens so the burden of keeping these going has fallen on me, so anyone else willing to grow some would be wonderful.
If I'm not misrtaken EML is an endangered variety. I suggest you ask Marsha if she could grow some in 2021 and add it to her sharing list later on. You would be sure that your seeds would be grown on all continents !

All the best

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sun May 17, 2020 6:33 am

loulac wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:25 am
EdieJ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 pm William Estler, who bred the original ML was my Grandfather. ... I am the only one in the family left who gardens so the burden of keeping these going has fallen on me, so anyone else willing to grow some would be wonderful.
If I'm not misrtaken EML is an endangered variety. I suggest you ask Marsha if she could grow some in 2021 and add it to her sharing list later on. You would be sure that your seeds would be grown on all continents !

All the best
Thanks Loulac! [mention]EdieJ[/mention] I would still love to get some seeds of this. I have a lot of wonderful varieties I can trade, or I can send you an SASE.(I won't bug you again, lol!)
- Marsha

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed May 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Marsha, I am growing it this year.

After several tries, I have some plants coming up. I am thinking I may need to transplant two.

I have had garbage luck bagging blossoms in the past, but it might be worth giving it a try again this year. Anyone want to walk me through it?

In any case, any seed I save will be made available.

I saw EML listed at Delectation of Tomatoes this spring if anyone wants to try to purchase. I will admit I hesitated to order because I have had a few varieties in the last few years either not germinate well or not come up true. No offense meant - it happens, but I usually only transplant one of each variety due to space so I don't often have the time or ability to compare to see if it is just a random stray seeds. So I usually just go back to varieties and seed sources that have been consistent for me.
Last edited by JosephineRose on Wed May 20, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 pm

JosephineRose wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:54 pm Marsha, I am growing it this year.

After several tries, I have some plants coming up. I am thinking I may need to transplant two.

I have had garbage luck bagging blossoms in the past, but it might be worth giving it a try again this year. Anyone want to walk me through it?

In any case, any seed I save will be made available.

I saw EML listed at Delectation of Tomatoes this spring if anyone wants to try to purchase. I will admit I hesitated to order because I have had a few varieties either in the last few years either not germinate well or not come up true. No offense meant - it happens, but I usually only transplant one of each variety due to space so I don't often have the time or ability to compare to see if it is just a random stray seeds. So I usually just go back to varieties and seed sources that have been consistent for me.
No worries, Edie contacted me, and she will be taking care of me with some original seeds. And I'll have them in next year's seed offer if all goes well. Good to know about Delec. Of Tomatoes.
- Marsha

EdieJ
Reactions:

Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am

Marsha, seeds should be going out to you today. These are the older ones saved by my Uncle Bob. I hope that folks will be able to get some to germinate next year. If I have any luck getting some tomatoes for seed this year I will send you some of those also. So far all I've had are blossoms and they're dropping 😢
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu May 21, 2020 10:22 am

EdieJ wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am Marsha, seeds should be going out to you today. These are the older ones saved by my Uncle Bob. I hope that folks will be able to get some to germinate next year. If I have any luck getting some tomatoes for seed this year I will send you some of those also. So far all I've had are blossoms and they're dropping 😢
I grow at a totally different time of year, my growing is sort of Southern Hemisphere like. For a lot of my very long season, it's actually getting cooler while the tomatoes are forming. We have been frost free here since 2009, so there's no danger of frost. I usually am successful [mention]EdieJ[/mention] Edie I, so if I get a successful grow out, and you want me to, I will send you lots of fresh seeds I don't bag, but we don't usually have bee crosses here, at least not at the beginning. Thank you so much Edie.
- Marsha

edweather
Reactions:

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:33 pm

EdieJ I sent you a PM
Southeast GA, USDA 9a, HZ9, Sunset Z28

EdieJ
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 am

Edweather, got your pm and sent a reply
Zone 7

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:52 pm

[mention]EdieJ[/mention], I got a couple of EML plants just starting to show some color on some tomatoes. Plants are over six feet tall and still setting fruit, even with the hot weather and no rain. But they get regular water from the ponds, so are not lacking there. I will definitely include a picture or two in the next week or so. I hope you are having good results as well.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:10 pm

[mention]pondgardner[/mention] I have 13 bitty greenies on the 2 plants I have from the seeds I saved from my first planting here in AL. I had one that was almost baseball size but a *&#!$@ caterpillar got into it in spite of Surround and another bug spray. Arggh.
But I also have at least 2 coming on from seeds from my Uncle Bob (the 2011 seeds.) So I am absolutely thrilled to see them. And hope we don't get hit by any nastiness!
I can't tell you how thrilled I am for you! Looking forward to pictures!
Zone 7

Return to “Seeds Wanted”