Estler's Mortgage Lifter

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Estler's Mortgage Lifter

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:56 pm

After reading the must grow thread, I am hoping someone has a few seeds of Estler's Mortgage Lifter they may be able to spare?

Thanks very much!
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Estler's Mortgage Lifter

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:16 pm

I do. I am very busy now. PM me later this week with your address please and remind me what it is I am to send you.
~ Patti ~

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Thanks, that is very kind of you!
Melissa

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:27 pm

I do also, if you don't get them from MissS. Mine would be 3-4 years old and seeds I saved myself, not bagged, but from grow outs I did directly from the seeds Carolyn Male sent me. I don't have enough of the seeds Carolyn originally sent me to share any. I might have maybe 4 seeds left from her so I am keeping those.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:48 am

For readers in the distant future, here's a link to the thread that JosephineRose probably meant.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:50 am

[mention]Sue_CT[/mention] [mention]MissS[/mention]

What can you tell us about Estler's Mortgage Lifter from your experience? I used to want seeds, but Napa Giant (a selection from one of the Mortgage Lifters) didn't do well for me, and EML was only available in Canada at the time. So, I put that one on the backburner of my mental wantlist.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 pm

EML was a surprise to me, since I had not been impressed with other strains. As I said, I only tried it at Carolyn's suggestion when I told her ML just didn't impress me. It is a large plant, with large, well formed tomatoes with more flavor I think that is balanced rather than sweet or tarte, than other versions. I get large plants and good production. Now here is the thing. Carolyn never really understood when I said this, but even the same tomato from year to year can be better tasting or less so in my garden. I don't know if it is the weather, the amounts and types of amendments I use each year or just rainfall amounts. I know that some years it has been the star of the garden and others just a good solid supporting player, lol, but I have never had a year that it was rally bad. I don't get a lot of BER anyway, so I can't speak to that, but I also don't get a lot of gnarled, odd shaped fruit from EML, either, which I hate. It is never the first to get blight or other leaf diseases, although it certainly isn't immune. It is just a solid performer for me. One year EML will be my best and tastiest tomato, another year it will SOTW or Brandywine or KB. But none of them ever let me down. Don't know what else to say.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 pm

JosephineRose, I just found this discussion. Did you ever get any seeds? William Estler, who bred the original ML was my Grandfather. I have seeds I saved from the plants I grew, I think it was 3 years ago, from plants from the last batch of seeds my Uncle Bob Estler saved before he passed away. Let me know if you want some. Or anyone else. I am growing strictly for seed this year so hopefully next year I will have more to share. I am the only one in the family left who gardens so the burden of keeping these going has fallen on me, so anyone else willing to grow some would be wonderful.
For those wondering about the differences in the many types named "Mortgage Lifter," Estler's was the first to be named. We have a newspaper article about ours dated long before "Radiator Charlie" came along. Due to an oversight by my Grandfather's lawyer, the copyright for the name was never filed so ol' Charlie was able to cash in on the name. But it was proved, I think it was by Carolyn Male, that genetically the 2 are completely different tomatoes. And the reason Estler's is better is because my Grandfather did careful selections and trials of crosses for years before ever releasing plants or seeds. Charlie apparently didn't even know which varieties actually went into his, based on the story of setting a bunch of different tomatoes in a circle and saving whatever came out best. Even though it's been many generations so his ML is stabilised if you don't start with the best you're not going to get the best. Except he had better advertising. Pretty much all others named "Mortgage Lifter" are one or the other of these crossed with something else.
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 pm

That is wonderful! I would love any seeds you could share, since if I have any seeds left from Carolyn they number in the sinle digits. I try to grow at least one plant from a known source every 2-3 years to try to make sure I always have a few reliable seeds that are true to the original. If you would prefer to wait until you have saved more, I certainly understand.

bjbebs
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:27 pm

EdieJ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 pm JosephineRose, I just found this discussion. Did you ever get any seeds? William Estler, who bred the original ML was my Grandfather. I have seeds I saved from the plants I grew, I think it was 3 years ago, from plants from the last batch of seeds my Uncle Bob Estler saved before he passed away. Let me know if you want some. Or anyone else. I am growing strictly for seed this year so hopefully next year I will have more to share. I am the only one in the family left who gardens so the burden of keeping these going has fallen on me, so anyone else willing to grow some would be wonderful.
For those wondering about the differences in the many types named "Mortgage Lifter," Estler's was the first to be named. We have a newspaper article about ours dated long before "Radiator Charlie" came along. Due to an oversight by my Grandfather's lawyer, the copyright for the name was never filed so ol' Charlie was able to cash in on the name. But it was proved, I think it was by Carolyn Male, that genetically the 2 are completely different tomatoes. And the reason Estler's is better is because my Grandfather did careful selections and trials of crosses for years before ever releasing plants or seeds. Charlie apparently didn't even know which varieties actually went into his, based on the story of setting a bunch of different tomatoes in a circle and saving whatever came out best. Even though it's been many generations so his ML is stabilised if you don't start with the best you're not going to get the best. Except he had better advertising. Pretty much all others named "Mortgage Lifter" are one or the other of these crossed with something else.
PM sent to Edie J.

SusieQ
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:41 pm

EdieJ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 pm I am the only one in the family left who gardens so the burden of keeping these going has fallen on me, so anyone else willing to grow some would be wonderful.
PM sent to EdieJ.

(I think!) :oops: EdieJ. Please let me know you received it. I'm still trying to figure out how things work.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:14 pm

SusieQ, sent you a PM. Hope you get it!
Zone 7

SusieQ
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 pm

EdieJ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:14 pm SusieQ, sent you a PM. Hope you get it!
I got the PM and just replied (I hope!). Thanks for being so patient. If you didn't get this second one, please PM me your address and I'll send you an envelope with postage for the seeds.
I'll also contact an administrator and get some techie help for my bumbling through the system. :roll:

EdieJ
Reactions:

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 pm

I had a post written and I don't know what happened to it. Weird.
Anyway I've been sick, don't want to send anyone germs with their seeds so will get them out when I'm on the mend.
On the plus side, did a germination test on 3 seeds. 1 came up after only a few days and I had almost given up but the other 2 popped out yesterday. Hooray! So be sure to give them plenty of time after you start them.
Zone 7

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Hello,

Just saw this thread. Considering all that is happening, I am hoping you are well.
Melissa

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 pm

JosephineRose wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm Hello,

Just saw this thread. Considering all that is happening, I am hoping you are well.
Yes, me too. Feel better soon.
~ Patti ~

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:13 am

I hope you are OK. I was planning to start your seeds in the next couple of days, but now I am afraid since I am going to be repeatedly exposed to Carona Virus at work that I could get sick and the seeds would be wasted. I was thinking maybe try 1/3 or half of what I have and save the rest less uncertain times. If you have a preference what you would like me to do, please let me know. Feel better soon!

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:18 am

Oh, Sue, you'll be in my prayers.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:44 am

Sue, oh I'm sorry. I will be praying for you. Don't add to your stress about the seeds, there is always next year. Hugs!
Zone 7

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:33 am

Bless you Sue. If you want to start the seeds then go right ahead and start them. If things do not work out then there are others growing these seeds and I am sure that we will be able to find some for you next year. You start them and have fun with them. If you enjoy them even as a seedling, then they will not have been wasted.

Bless you for all that you are doing. You are in my prayers too.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Seeds Wanted”