High Crimson

OhioGardener
Reactions:

High Crimson

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:03 am

This is a long shot, but I'm interested in finding the true strain of High Crimson. I acquired seeds from Seedsavers ( SSE #126135) which I grew out in 2019 and 2020 and ended up with what appeared to be an ordinary red cherry tomato with no crimson gel surrounding the seeds which is supposed to be a characteristic of the crimson gene. I was planning to order this variety from Tatiana's Tomatobase in the fall because the photos on her site do look like they have crimson gel, but I recently read a post that made me question if she'll be selling seeds in the future. I have quite a few varieties that I could offer in trade.
Debbie

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: High Crimson

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:00 pm

If it's impossible to find, here are a couple ideas:

High Crimson is said to have a gold stripe down each petal on the flowers. If you got something labelled High Crimson, it is possible some of the seeds are crossed but some are not. You can, if you want, start seedlings one per 4" pot. Grow them on until they start to flower. (You can probably leave them in the 4" pot; they'll be crowded but alive.) Examine flowers for the gold stripe. Any plants that have it, pot them up or plant them out. All the rest can be chucked away.

I think Sandhill Preservation used to sell High Crimson. It's not on their catalog now, but you could write to them and ask them if they had even one or two seeds they could sell you.

Go back through the Tomatoville archives and see who used to have it. Carolyn did, of course. See if Farmer Shawn (here at TomatoJunction) has a seed or two.

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:17 pm

There were some High Crimson seeds in Carolyn's collection, from 1995. But they have been sent to loeb, apparently.
Shawn

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:49 pm

DSCF9060.JPG
Nan6b wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:00 pm If it's impossible to find, here are a couple ideas:

High Crimson is said to have a gold stripe down each petal on the flowers. If you got something labelled High Crimson, it is possible some of the seeds are crossed but some are not. You can, if you want, start seedlings one per 4" pot. Grow them on until they start to flower. (You can probably leave them in the 4" pot; they'll be crowded but alive.) Examine flowers for the gold stripe. Any plants that have it, pot them up or plant them out. All the rest can be chucked away.

I think Sandhill Preservation used to sell High Crimson. It's not on their catalog now, but you could write to them and ask them if they had even one or two seeds they could sell you.

Go back through the Tomatoville archives and see who used to have it. Carolyn did, of course. See if Farmer Shawn (here at TomatoJunction) has a seed or two.
The seeds I acquired were from the SSE seedbank and of course I let them know my observations. I wasn't aware of the striping on the flowers, but I do have quite a few seeds left from the 2 packs I bought hoping that the first was just a mixup. I may try your suggestion and see what happens. I've been wanting it to experimentally cross to one of my high tetra-cis lycopene tomatoes, but I do have a few varieties that were bred down from High Crimson and also Kanatto which High Crimson was bred from, so I could probably use one of them if I can't find it.

PS - the attached photo is what I got both times I tried to grow my High Crimson out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Debbie

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:50 pm

FarmerShawn wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:17 pm There were some High Crimson seeds in Carolyn's collection, from 1995. But they have been sent to loeb, apparently.
Shawn
Hopefully they'll be able to revive and save them.
Debbie

PNW_D
Reactions:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:00 pm

some interesting High Crimson references
https://search.usa.gov/search?query=hig ... servicears

and I notice they have assigned PI647122 to High Crimson acquisition ....... perhaps material still available
Zone 8b

PNW_D
Reactions:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:05 pm

read the guidelines for acquisition ...... you may be eligible to shop

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/search
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 5.03.19 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 8b

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 pm

PNW_D wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:05 pm read the guidelines for acquisition ...... you may be eligible to shop
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/search
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 5.03.19 PM.png
They did approve me for a couple of corn accessions a few years ago which I've made available through the SSE exchange after experimenting with them in small space garden plots, so it's a thought. At this point if I don't find it, I may just go with Kanatto which grew true to type for me. I wouldn't call it the best tomato I've ever tasted, but it was respectable and had the intense crimson gel.
Debbie

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:28 am

I *may* have found it. This is apparently a new US seed company with a sister site in Africa.

https://theseedstead.com/hi-crimson-tomato
https://livingseeds.co.za/vegetable-see ... omato.html
Debbie

Return to “Seeds Wanted”