Red Ore from Kaneko (Japan)

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Red Ore from Kaneko (Japan)

Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:38 am

Anyone live in Japan? I would be happy to pay for seeds and shipping. Just need 10 packs or so not thousands. :)

Looking for Red Ore. golf ball size tomato, very sweet. By kaneko seed co.

I just looked it up and found a listing I have never seen before. Marshall’s seeds.

It says ‘ Tomato Red Ore F1 x3‘. Not sure what x 3 means . Thanks!!
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

peebee
Reactions:

Re: Red Ore from Kaneko (Japan)

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:56 pm

I used to live in Japan in my youth & visit once a year or so. They sell some seeds in big box stores and large nurseries but I have never seen any from Kaneko. They would have to be ordered online there, then someone there would have to send them to you. Are they name Ore on their site? If so, then they would be pronounced like Ole like in Spanish.
Tomato seed packs usually sell for about $4 to $5 each and only contain 8 to 10 seeds as they are almost all hybrids.
Wish I could help you out but I would be there for only a very short time plus there is no guarantee the seeds would reach you due to customs intervention if you're unlucky.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Shipping is a problem. And I have had seeds that I declared in customs taken away even though they were from a well known European company in sealed packets . But I understand the reasoning behind the ‘rules’. Better if I found a US distributor who has the permits to get seeds into the country. I tried a long time ago to go that route but had to get ALOT of seeds.
Carl Huffaker

peebee
Reactions:

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:19 pm

For what it's worth, I emailed Kaneko last night asking where I can find the seeds @ a retailer. No reply yet. They also have orange & yellow Ole. There doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in their description for this tomato; just curious, how did you find out about them & why did you want them?
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:43 pm

MsCowpea wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:38 am Anyone live in Japan? I would be happy to pay for seeds and shipping. Just need 10 packs or so not thousands. :)

Looking for Red Ore. golf ball size tomato, very sweet. By kaneko seed co.

I just looked it up and found a listing I have never seen before. Marshall’s seeds.

It says ‘ Tomato Red Ore F1 x3‘. Not sure what x 3 means . Thanks!!
I looked at Marshall's Seeds and this variety is an F1. They are not selling seeds of this variety at this time, they are selling plants. Hence the x 3 means that you will receive 3 plants in your order.

I hope that helps.
~ Patti ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:19 pm

Patti, thank you, didn’t notice they sold plants

I grew Red Ore years ago. Got the seeds from a poster from the early days of TV. She got them from Japan.
I also contacted kaneko but didn’t hear anything. I honestly don’t know if I have built them up in my memory because I couldn’t get them anymore.

My favorite tomato is the Japanese tomato Momotaro.
Carl Huffaker

Return to “Seeds Wanted”