Mexican Yellow cross

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
Shule
Reactions:

Mexican Yellow cross

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:24 am

I grew some Mexican Yellow seeds in 2017 that I had saved. The fruits were pink; so, I knew it was a cross. I grew an F2 in 2019, and it had very large pink fruits with great taste (the fruit size, fruit color, and the taste are what make me think Chapman is the father plant). [For some reason I was under the impression that Chapman was pink--maybe the one I grew was a cross and actually was pink; I'd have to check my photographs or grow it again to be sure.]

I grew an F3 this year. It had unusually good cold-tolerance in the greenhouse (one of the few that survived). The plant grew enormous. It's actually extremely prolific, by the look of it (I'd love to see how it produces in ideal conditions). I'm codenaming it Insurance_1 (Edit: It's known as Insurance_A, now instead, but if you have seeds called Insurace_1 or Insurance_2, you should change the name to Insurance-A with a hyphen; see this explanation). Here's why:

I can only go outside for a short time every day, while it's light, due to UV sensitivity. Coincidentally, the mosquito truck sometimes likes to spray a few minutes after I go outside to work in the garden (so, sometimes I just have to go back inside). On Friday, I went outside at about 6:30 PM to harvest some large tomatoes to dehydrate for tomato powder (I find that large tomatoes are by far the fastest and easiest to dehydrate). Anyway, I went out and approached part of this plant. I spent about 45 seconds harvesting, and then the mosquito truck ran by my neighbor's house. However, in that time, I had managed to harvest more than enough large tomatoes to completely fill the rest of the food dehydrator (it has 6 15" x 13" trays, and the slices weren't thin; one of the trays was already filled, but I two more tomatoes, which would have been enough to fill it). Anyway, I call it Insurance_1 because it appears to be insurance against days like that, and against time constraints on preparing for dehydration, too (and actually dehydrating it, too). It's easy to pick lots of tomato fast, and it's really prolific! Keep in mind all I've given it this year was three handfuls of wood ash, and some water earlier in the season. It grows fast, too.

The fruits seem to have reasonably good hang-time, this year and for the F2, too.

I plan to switch my focus from the Brandy Boy crosses to Insurance_1 (and related) for next year. I still plan to grow Picnic_1 next year, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Mexican Yellow cross

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:11 pm

I'm growing Insurance_2 (a child of Insurance_1), this year. As a seedling, the plant didn't get particularly large, unlike Insurance_1. I suspect that's possibly because I froze the dry seeds of Insurance_1 before planting, but not those of Insurance_2. However, Insurance_2 outpaced all the others (in plant-size) post-transplant, and it's my first tomato transplant to set fruit, this year. It set two fruits, today. A volunteer beat it, however (probably Galapagos Island). I did have a Galapagos Island transplant, but it's seeming to have a slow start, this year, probably due to its location, and has not set fruit, yet.

Anyway, Insurance_2 seems to have good genetics, much as Insurance_1 seemed to.

I'm also growing the following this year, which are related to Insurance_2:
* Mexican Yellow (which could possibly be an F1 cross with Chapman, again): This plant is looking very impressive
* Mexican Yellow x Chapman? F3 (a sibling to Insurance_1): This plant was pretty small when I transplanted it, but it's doing fine (I'm not noticing a huge burst of vigor or anything, yet, however)

Insurance_2 has blocky stems, while the others don't. I don't know if Insurance_1 had blocky stems. Interestingly, Garden Leader Monster has kind of blocky stems, this year (I grew that next to Insurance_1 last year).

Edit (14 Jul 2022): Insurance_1 is now called Insurance_A, and Insurance_2 is now called Insurance_B. Insurance_B didn't turn out much like Insurance_A (other than initially having a large plant). I might try again some year.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”