Kelloggs Beefsteak x a red cherry

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
Shule
Reactions:

Kelloggs Beefsteak x a red cherry

Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 pm

So, I grew Kellogg's Beefsteak again, this year (I grew it in 2015, too, and saved seeds) to compare it to Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX, but it turned out to be a firm, red cherry, with mild ribbing (not perfectly round). The ones I ate today were probably sweeter than the first one or two.

Possible father plants include these:
* Husky Cherry Red F2
* Texas Wild Cherry
* Sugar Lump

Anyway, it tastes pretty good. It sets fruit well. It was much earlier than Kellogg's Beefsteak. The taste is quite good, but nothing like Kellogg's Beefsteak. It's a bit prone to mild sunscald. By mild, I mean the sun-lit portions might not turn red (they might just make it to yellow or orange), but they don't get papery or anything.

I'm very curious about what future generations will be like with regard to taste and texture. Husky Cherry Red F2+ has a *lot* of variability. Fortunately, no more than half of it is in this cross, if I want to stabilize it.

Here are three fruits:
IMG_20200728_194540.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Kelloggs Beefsteak x a red cherry

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:59 pm

The fruits I ate more recently were quite a bit sweeter.

Did I mention these are super firm? They're about as firm as a tomato can be and still be ripe without being a RIN tomato.

Notwithstanding the firmness, the ones that sit on the vine after ripening for a long time eventually split.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”