Frittata Kitchen (Bloody Butcher mutant/sport)

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
Shule
Reactions:

Frittata Kitchen (Bloody Butcher mutant/sport)

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:21 pm

Last year, I grew Bloody Butcher seeds purchased from Timeless-tomatoes.com.

It was prolific. The fruits were soft, very meaty, and had few seeds. The taste was quite good, but was pretty mild.

However, one fruit was extremely different from the rest. It was quite a bit larger. It had a whole lot of locules. It had lots of seeds. It was quite firm. It was less meaty. It tasted different, but not more flavorful or anything.

Anyway, I figured this new fruit might be a sport. I saved seeds to grow again to see if it produced something different from regular Bloody Butcher. It did, actually, but the fruits are different from the one I saved seeds from, too. Here are their attributes:

* It still has lots of seeds! I'm extremely happy about this, actually. The regular Bloody Butcher definitely could have used more seeds.
* It's meatier than the fruit I saved it from, but not as meaty as regular Bloody Butcher.
* The taste is very impressive in culinary dishes. You don't even need salt in the dishes you use it in. It's a really good tart-type flavor, but there's some sugar, too. It's not a mild tomato (much more powerful than the regular Bloody Butcher was last year, and quite a bit different, too).
* It's firmer than the regular Bloody Butcher, but not as firm as the fruit I saved it from. This is great, since I thought Bloody Butcher could use some extra hang-time. Hopefully the firmness would help.
* The fruits are the same size and shape as the regular Bloody Butcher fruits, with about the same number of locules.
* The plant produces at least as well as the regular Bloody Butcher, so far.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite tomatoes, this year. I saved a lot of seeds, already; so, I should have plenty to go around, should anyone want some (after they're dry).

Anyway, these fruits are excellent in frittatas. So much flavor. I love it.

Time will tell if these traits breed true, but I want to grow a bunch of them next year.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

slugworth
Reactions:

Re: Frittata Kitchen (Bloody Butcher mutant/sport)

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:25 pm

I gave away plants last year to a community garden that supplies soup kitchens.
I wanted them to have a good supply of tomatoes in july instead of waiting til august.
For me it's always a good early tomato.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:56 pm

I grew BB last year. My plant was very prolific also. The taste was mild to the point of being bland.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:56 pm

This sport, or whatever it is, sure isn't bland. Much more flavorful than BB (but again, it's a different flavor; not just a more potent one).

I'm going to give it a working name to make talking about it easier. A name that implies some of its best uses might be great. Maybe I'll call it Frittata Kitchen, or Salt Substitute, lol. I think I'll do Frittata Kitchen, right now. We'll have to assume it's not stable and/or that it's the same as Bloody Butcher until proven otherwise, though. Next year should provide a lot of evidence, if I grow many plants. I'll probably need to find some others in the USA who want to evaluate its flavor, texture, meatiness, and seed count compared to Bloody Butcher. I'll need to try it with and without wood ash, too, to make sure it's not the wood ash that changed the flavor and texture so much (I gave it wood ash, this year, but I don't remember if I gave Bloody Butcher wood ash last year; I probably did, though, since it was in my favorite tomato-growing spot in the whole garden; FK is a few spots away, this year).

Oh, Bloody Butcher last year was somewhat earlier than 'Frittata Kitchen' this year, but FK had a stronger flush of ripe fruit coming on when it started to ripen. Other tomatoes are kind of smothering it, though, since I didn't cage them, this year, and they grew huge (so, I need to prune them off of FK). Fortunately, I already saved lots of FK seeds.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm fairly convinced that Frittata Kitchen is indeed a sport, now, due to a familiar taste and texture of a fruit I had recently (which had traits of the unusual parent fruit). So, I don't think it's just the year, and I don't think it's an accidental cross causing the differences.

I know I gave some seeds to people (primarily while I was still at Tomatoville late last year). I probably labeled them Bloody Butcher potential sport/mutant, and may have mentioned how it had many locules (if I did any of those things, you might re-label it Frittata Kitchen). If I gave you Bloody Butcher seeds and didn't mention the sport/mutant thing or the locules, they're just normal Bloody Butcher seeds.

[mention]Nan6b[/mention] I think I gave you both kinds, in separate bags, didn't I? Or did I just give you the regular Bloody Butcher? I probably gave some to two or three other people.

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”