New Seedless Tomato (Parthenocarpic)

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
Brent Montgomery
Reactions:

New Seedless Tomato (Parthenocarpic)

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi all,
I was invited to join this group from another group who shall remain nameless. :O)

I'd like to introduce myself and share my work with parthenocarpic tomatoes. My name is Brent Montgomery and I live in Arkansas, USA.  After retiring from the Air Force, I picked up my gardening passion pretty thoroughly with my extra time.  I quickly found I really enjoyed breeding new lines of vegetables and I have been working with many including tomatoes.  My primary goal as a tomato breeder was to increase tolerance to heat so I worked in that direction making crosses and selections to that end.  What I ended up with is pretty phenomenal.  I believe I have a new type of parthenocarpy that ensures a tomato will grow if the plant will grow regardless of the environment.  I've tested it for nearly 6 years now and it has been easy to breed into other tomato lines. I'd like you to take a look at my work, tell me what you think, and let's talk about it. Please understand that if I share my work through pictures or video, I'm not looking to sell tomatoes nor am I looking to make specific lines public.  They will simply be representations of my work (proof) that demonstrates what I'm speaking about. Thank you for the acceptance and I look forward to talking to you more.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Re: New Seedless Tomato (Parthenocarpic)

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:53 pm

[mention]Brent Montgomery[/mention] all sounds so intriguing, really interested to learn from your work on this.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

patihum
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Tell us more - please!

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Welcome to TomatoJunction! :)

Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing more about it! :)

How's the production? What size/shape/color are the fruits? How's the taste? I realize these may be changing variables.

Is the tomato's ancestry classified?

What are some other crop species that you're working on breeding?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Hello and Welcome to Tomato Junction. I am looking forward to hearing more about your breeding lines.
~ Patti ~

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Yes yes, tell us more!
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Brent Montgomery
Reactions:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 am

I think I'm missing something obvious. I can't seem to find a way to reply to individual comments here. Please share how. I'll answer some of what I see in the comments above in one spot here. First, thank you so much for the warm welcome. The tomato that started it all is a mutant and I believe it mutated in response to high heat which is what I was breeding for--heat tolerance. The cherry tomato parents of the mutant I'm going to hold close to chest for now, but the lines I bred them into and most other things I don't mind sharing. I'll be posting two videos since there's an interest. They will show a visual of my lines. There's 10 total videos. The first video is the cultivar "Brent". Yep, after me. It's the original line that is now OP and the parent/grandparent of all other lines. He breeds easily. Sounds naughty, but it's true. The cherry presents on large trusses and I consider it a multiflor. The second video coming is the cultivar "Madison" after my daughter whose birthday is today, the day of the release. I can't remember if it's F5 or F6. It'll be in the video. Madison is a centiflor and I bet you'll think the trusses are pretty amazing. She's also parthenocarpic, but I haven't fully tested the extent due to space and priority with another line that is a beefsteak. I'll share that one soon as well. Production capability could be off the charts if you consider that most flowers set fruit pollinated or not and that the trusses are large. Thing is that ripening large amounts of fruit can be difficult with so much fruit to support and ripen. Madison took such a long time due to that. If I cut the trusses back, it does better. Size all over the place from 10g cherry to 10oz beef. Taste varies, but most of the lines are pretty darned good with a few excellent I think. Tomato is my priority for this obvious reason, but I'm also breeding summer squash, okra, butternut, melon, eggplant, and cucumber. I have an OP squash and the others are in various generations. I'm going to post the two tomato videos in separate threads now.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:31 pm

Brent Montgomery wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 am I think I'm missing something obvious. I can't seem to find a way to reply to individual comments here. Please share how. I'll answer some of what I see in the comments above in one spot here.
Use the quote button in the upper right

Brent Montgomery
Reactions:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:03 pm

Whwoz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:31 pm
Brent Montgomery wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 am I think I'm missing something obvious. I can't seem to find a way to reply to individual comments here. Please share how. I'll answer some of what I see in the comments above in one spot here.
Use the quote button in the upper right
Thanks and now I'm a bit embarrassed. :)

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:29 pm

When you get around to PMing yourself, then we'll talk embarrassing. Welcome to the junction.

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”