Accidental cross with a stabilized Brandy Boy

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
Shule
Reactions:

Re: Accidental cross with a stabilized Brandy Boy

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 pm

Here are three fruits from the plant to the north of the multiflora. The taste of all three is kind of like the ripest taste of the centiflor, but not as complicated, and they're not nearly as juicy.
IMG_20200808_202425.jpg
IMG_20200808_202655.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Here are three fruits from a regular leaf plant (which shows that it crossed again last year) from the tart Brandy Boy cross. I'm not sure what variety the father plant was, but considering the fruit size, probably one of the tart Brandy Boy crosses regular leaf siblings.

This one is firmer than it looks, even the ripest one (which surprised me). The ripest one (at the bottom of the pictures), is quite sweet, with acidic undertones. The middle onr doesn't have a lot of flavor, but it has nice texture, and I enjoyed eating it. The top one (which has sunscald, on a side not pictured) was sweet and acidic, but underripe.
IMG_20200808_205211.jpg
IMG_20200808_205441.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 pm

Here are fruits from the next plant. See this post for an analysis of two of the fruits.

The fruits seem to ripen to a dark pink (probably not as dark as the near-multiflora plant last year). So, my F2 still had that gene (the F2 was a lighter pink).

A smaller, less ripe fruit (the second largest one pictured) from the same plant at first had a simpler, kind of watery taste, when I tasted the edge of it, but I could taste what I think is the lycopene pretty clearly. After a while I came back and ate more, and it had very good flavor. Interesting. It's a taste that seems to appear in Brandywine types.

I wasn't at first inclined to save seeds, on account of my initial taste impression (but apparently, I didn't taste enough of it, because it's pretty). However, I decided to do so (from all three fruits separately). I like the durability and density of the fruits, the meatiness, and the large fruit size of the biggest one. I wasn't sure at first, but the flavor is good after all. I had just eaten a bunch of Garnet cherry tomatoes before my first taste; so, that might have skewed my first impression. It tastes like a Brandywine-type (a sweet one, though). It'll probably taste different next year than it would have in full sun, anyway, considering it is an F3. If I save seeds, it needs a name: I decided on the name Avium_1.
IMG_20200820_211542.jpg
IMG_20200820_210842.jpg
IMG_20200820_211846.jpg
Here's the smaller, less ripe fruit that I mentioned:
IMG_20200820_213330.jpg
Here's the smallest of the three. It had a pretty solid feel to it before I cut it open. The taste isn't bad (it has some qualities similar to the larger one, but it is different), nor is the taste terribly unusual, but it's enjoyable to eat, and the skin has a unique texture that I like when I chew it (it reminds me of sweet cherry skin). The core of this fruit (or rather the part near where the stem was and a ways underneath, actually tastes excellent, balanced and flavorful:
IMG_20200820_215542.jpg

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”