Lycium barbarum x Lycopersicon lycopersicum hybrids

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
Shule
Reactions:

Lycium barbarum x Lycopersicon lycopersicum hybrids

Thu May 20, 2021 10:22 pm

Apparently, people have managed to cross goji berries with tomatoes.

Here's a thread on another forum about it:
http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/foru ... opic=231.0

So, I'm not actually doing this cross, because I don't own a goji bush, and I don't have immediate plans to own one. However, I'm highly interested in it, anyway. I'd love to hear about anyone who happens to try it (as well any anyone here who just happens to grow both goji and tomatoes, whether or not they hybridize them).

I imagine this knowledge could be used to develop something like a cold-hardy superfruit tomato bush, a tender perennial goji (which could be grown as an annual, like tomatoes), or whatever.

Note that in that thread people are talking about attempting to cross black goji with tomatoes. Black goji is a different species in the Lycium genus, and no actual crosses have been done there, to my knowledge (but I guess it's maybe possible).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Lycium barbarum x Lycopersicon lycopersicum hybrids

Fri May 21, 2021 2:21 am

[mention]Shule[/mention] , I think you will find several threads on that cross on ossi if you search, a lot of threads are in one big mixed up group. You may also want to check out the old HG site, a number of threads there if memory serves me correctly.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri May 21, 2021 6:44 am

This sounds sketchy to me. I can't find any pictures of the actual cross.

Is this something that has been achieved by any of the members here? I'm sure that laboratories can achieve some form of cross through the aid of gene splicing and manipulation, but even that hasn't been documented with photos. As far as I could find.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Shule
Reactions:

Fri May 21, 2021 8:49 pm

[mention]Whwoz[/mention]
Cool. I only knew about that one thread on that one forum.

[mention]Rockoe10[/mention]
I can't say whether anyone here has even attempted it or not, but I currently see the point in treating the cross as a possibility for home gardeners. Even if you fail, you still get a goji bush. If it turns out to be super easy, so much the better. If it doesn't turn out to be easy, then (if you're skilled in cross-pollination) you'll learn that in a few years, and we'll know it's not for the faint of heart. Either way, we learn something, even if we don't learn how it's possible.

But yeah, I'm not trying to coerce anyone into doing it, but I do want to let people know, wherein they would be interested. I'm not particularly expecting immediate results, but I wouldn't be surprised to see replies to this thread (or new threads about the topic) within two or three years from now. If I had a goji bush, I'd probably be trying it, anyhow.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”