So who is growing strawberries?

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Re: So who is growing strawberries?

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:44 pm

I am not a strawberry fan but there was this hanging strawberry kit by the register. It has the growing bag, 10 Ozark Beauty plants and was just saying BUY ME so I did... I have potting soil and will get them planted tomorrow. As a hanging planter I can bring it in if the weather turns nasty (still very likely this early in the year) AND even better hanging it from the privacy fence means it won't take up my limited ground space. Of I may put a hook on my metal shelf I use for the tumbling tomatoes and hang it from there.
DH is actually thrilled at the thought of fresh strawberries...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:09 am

Wow, it has been an incredible spring for strawberries at my patch. I have six one gallon freezer bags stuffed with them in the freezer. Have given many away. Mara Des Bois was my top producer followed by Jewel.

I will say that I like having the plants in orderly rows. Makes it easier to harvest.

I will be ripping up my two beds off Jewels that I started two years ago as they were planted in the matted system. Will start a new bed. Probably will put Jewel, Mara, Seascape, AllStar in one bed to compare them in similar conditions.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:34 pm

I know this is an old post but I’m all over this year with everything has anyone started strawberry’s from seed? I’m trying it this year just too see how it goes . Wounder if anyone has a luck don’s and donts
D

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:20 pm

I started strawberries from seed last season. Two different varieties - Fresca and Yellow Wonder Wild.

I am in zone 6b in Canada. My last frost date is about May 10th and I put plants in the ground/pots around May 24th.

I put my strawberry seeds in the freezer on January 30th. After 4 weeks I put them in potting mix. I think I got about 50% germination. I grew 3 seedlings from each variety and planted 2 plants from each in a wide 20G container. They filled in the pot in no time. So, you do not need many plants. I left them in that pot to see if they come back this year or not.

The chipmunks enjoyed them. I never managed to harvest much from the plants. Just the occasional snack.

I probably could have started the seeds 2 weeks later. They were already growing runners and new plants while inside - at least Fresca was, I am not sure about the other. I do not believe it grows with runners. I would have to go look that up.

Overall, did not seem much different than growing anything else with the exception of the cold stratification.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:22 pm

Awsome thank you so much mine are in the freezer now and excited to see how things go

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 pm

AKgardener wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:34 pm I know this is an old post but I’m all over this year with everything has anyone started strawberry’s from seed? I’m trying it this year just too see how it goes . Wounder if anyone has a luck don’s and donts
Yes, I grew a couple varieties from seed last year that I got from Johnny's. Hard to find seeds, but I've only been planting strawberries the last couple of years and was only able to get bare-root plants which never worked out that well, so I wanted to try from seed. They grew VERY slowly as seedlings, but I was having trouble with all my seedlings last year. I transplanted them out to some small pots on my deck and they all made it.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:22 pm

I usually buy the seedlings but this year wanted to dry something different but will have a backup just in case

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”