pawpaw

Nanooknorth
Reactions:

pawpaw

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:37 pm

pawpaw.jpg
They are just ripening at the cottage up north. We love the appearance of this smaller tree as well as the unique flavor of the fruit. I planted the tree to attract Zebra Swallowtail butterflies. Now I am interested in planting another and see there are some interesting varieties to choose from. I am thinking of Shenandoah because the seeds are supposed to be smaller and fewer. I was wondering if there are growers here, and what their experience is with different varieties
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: pawpaw

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:46 pm

I have a few planted, started from seed. A few flowers this year, so maybe next year one will fruit.

I've heard that one tree does not pollinate itself well. Is your tree the only one in the area?

And, the one variety that I will be looking for is Halvin. Some claim it is the best tasting, with no bitterness of, or near, the skin.

Smaller seeds in Shenandoah? No matter the size, one does not want to swallow a seed.

Nanooknorth
Reactions:

Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:33 pm

My tree is the only one and it seems to be self fertile. I started with 2 or 3 fruit the first year it was productive, which was probably 4 years ago. More every year. The Petersen intros, of which Shenandoah is one, gives you a percentage of the fruit that is seed. Shenandoah-6 %. Another is only 3%. I think my wild ones are 40% seeds.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 am

I have 5 acres with a number of Paw Paw stands and have been to the Ohio Paw Paw festival where I was able to purchase and taste some of the named cultivars for comparison. I'm blessed to have found my own trees to be of excellent quality, but I did really like Allegheny for the fruity flavor and darker orange flesh and Shenandoah for its size and amount of flesh relative to the seeds. In my experience, quality in wild trees can vary a lot from seedy and terrible tasting to fleshy and quite good and seedlings tend to resemble their parents.

Regarding pollination, my experience has been that my own trees have benefited from planting non-identical trees in close proximity to existing stands since every tree in a stand is a root clone. If you're dealing with grafted trees though, root suckers will not be genetically identical and will be able to pollinate the graft. I don't recommend this though because it seems like it might shorten the life of the grafts which I've had fail both times I tried to plant grafted cultivars. A workaround to this is that some nurseries like Edible Landscaping sell seedlings of select varieties which would give you something close in quality, but with its own root system capable of sending up clones if something happens to the original tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Debbie

stone
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Those pictures look great! Y'all are some lucky!
I purchased seed (Asimina triloba) through the mail some ten or 15 years ago, planted the seedlings at my house plus at a number of gardens in town.
No fruit so far.
When I see fruit (in town), the varmints get it before I can.
I was able to pick up some drops from my locally native dwarf paw paw (Asimina parviflora), this year, and when I went back for more, they weren't there any longer. Stupid raccoons!

Good thing that my main reason for growing paw paw is for the butterflies!

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:15 pm

I'd say smart raccoons, though they can be a nuisance.

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”