Tiny strawberries

Japetus
Reactions:

Tiny strawberries

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:47 pm

I tried some vertical growing this year, but all the berries seem very small. Could it be the variety or is there something wrong with the growing conditions?
IMG_20210721_160443_1_copy_600x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Tiny strawberries

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:26 pm

Looking at the texture of some of the berries, they look like the wild strawberries I have around me growing in my yard. Do you know the variety?
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:04 pm

If they're alpine types, they're supposed to be that way. They can get somewhat bigger, but alpine types get small fruit.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm

Many of these types are far superior to the large tasteless ones found in the store.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 pm

They look like cultivated alpines, especially if they're still bearing now (everbearing) vs. spring bearing for the wild woodland types. Probably not any of the native N. American varieties either if they're still blooming.

Alpine fruits are small, but if you have good plants and get enough of them, the jam you can make with them is out of this world. I'm finishing a jar of "Zemblyanka" strawberry jam that I bought at a local Russian grocer which is more like tiny whole alpines in a thick syrup, but I've never tasted such an intense strawberry flavor. I decided I absolutely have to grow them myself.
Debbie

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:13 am

Two-thirds of my main bed is now alpines. Have of those are the typical red and the other half are the white or pineapple. Both started bearing in early June and will keep going until frost. Although I currently have them in the ground, they began in pots and were happy as long as I watered them well. I may take out half of the red and replace with the white as they are sweeter.

Martin

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:03 am

Paquebot wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:13 am Two-thirds of my main bed is now alpines. Have of those are the typical red and the other half are the white or pineapple. Both started bearing in early June and will keep going until frost. Although I currently have them in the ground, they began in pots and were happy as long as I watered them well. I may take out half of the red and replace with the white as they are sweeter.

Martin
What varieties of alpines are you growing? How is the production and disease resistance now that it's later in the year? I'm getting decent production from a dozen different varieties that I started from seed this spring which is a pleasant surprise since my plants are so young. Right now my favorite varieties are Baron von Solemacher and Zheltoye Chudo (Yellow Miracle) for the production, disease resistance and quality of fruit. My least favorite is Alexandrina because the plant is more sensitive to wet feet and the berries are smaller even though there are more of them. I've been collecting seed to trade and also in case I lose any over the winter.
Debbie

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:24 am

@OhioGardener , how are your store bought strawberries near you? Here in Western PA, ours are terrible. However, we visit family in Cincinnati and their Kroger's has the most amazing strawberries during the spring! We joke saying that their strawberries are infused with strawberries 🤣
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:29 am

Rockoe10 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:24 am @OhioGardener , how are your store bought strawberries near you? Here in Western PA, ours are terrible. However, we visit family in Cincinnati and their Kroger's has the most amazing strawberries during the spring! We joke saying that their strawberries are infused with strawberries 🤣
I buy Kroger strawberries almost every week. Sometimes they're outstanding and sometimes not. I think it depends on where they're sourcing them from at the time and the stage of the harvest. I've had them crimson red and soft all the way through with luscious flavor. And then I get a seemingly half ripe batch with an almost crunchy texture which is dreadful, so it does vary. I also managed to get my hands on some cartons of yummy local grown berries, but the season is very short. So I've been trying to supplement with a few everbearing regular strawberry plants as well as the alpines I grew from seed this year. So far, the alpines have had the best late season disease resistance and I love their flavor even if the berries are small.
Debbie

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:27 pm

Ohio, don't know if some of the Alpines have a name. My red ones were merely Red Albine. The white ones were Pineapple Alpine

Martin

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:00 pm

Paquebot wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:27 pm Ohio, don't know if some of the Alpines have a name. My red ones were merely Red Albine. The white ones were Pineapple Alpine

Martin
If Pineapple is short for Pineapple Crush, you have one of my favorite whites which is supposed to be one of the best tasting. I had it long ago and plan on buying it in the spring to go along with some of the ones I like best and intend to propagate from this year's seed starts. Zheltoye Chudo (Yellow Miracle) is also a good non-red with nice big (for an alpine) & sweet fruit. Generally I'm in love with the alpines and the jam is sooooooooo decadent when it's prepared right.
Debbie

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”