Moving sunflowers

Dawn
Reactions:

Moving sunflowers

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Does anyone know some tricks to relocating sunflower seedlings? I planted a row of them against a fence last year, they were beautiful! I was hoping they would re-seed for this year and they did, they really really did 😂. I'm wondering about moving some of them to other places around my yard, but I've never had much luck moving sunflower seedings. My other option would be to thin them and feed the extras to my rabbits, which is a pretty valid option, they like to eat 🤷🏻‍♀️. Or let them grow into a monster sunflower hedge. They are Henry Wilde sunflowers.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a
Central Washington State (it's a desert here)

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Moving sunflowers

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:25 pm

Dig very deep and wide so that you don't disturb their roots. Move them immediately and water them in well. Hopefully they are still small enough that it won't be too hard for you to do.
~ Patti ~

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 pm

I usually start my Sunflower plants in a window type box, than transfer to the location where I want them to grow. I move them when they are about 4 to 6 inches tall. I dig the new hole first and move one at a time, water good right away. I very seldom lose one

Dawn
Reactions:

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:01 am

MissS wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:25 pm Dig very deep and wide so that you don't disturb their roots. Move them immediately and water them in well. Hopefully they are still small enough that it won't be too hard for you to do.
They're barely getting leaves, they're tiny. They're very close together, I have a feeling that I'll transplant as many as I have space for and the rabbits will still feast. I have heard they make good cucumber trellises, I think I'll try it with cucamelons. I don't want those in my regular garden, I've heard they re-seed and take over like crazy. I don't even know why I bought them 🤣
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a

Dawn
Reactions:

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:02 am

eyegrotom wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 pm I usually start my Sunflower plants in a window type box, than transfer to the location where I want them to grow. I move them when they are about 4 to 6 inches tall. I dig the new hole first and move one at a time, water good right away. I very seldom lose one
Ok, good to know. I tried moving a bunch last year and only 2 took, maybe more water is the key.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:20 am

Dig the new hole and water it a couple of times before the move. Also I move them late in the evening so they can rest up over night,than water again first thing in the morning.

Return to “Flowers”