TheDante´s humble Tomatoes & Garden

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
TheDante
Reactions:

TheDante´s humble Tomatoes & Garden

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:41 am

Just some humble pics to share :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheDante on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

MissS
Reactions:

Re: TheDante´s humble Tomatoes

Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:23 pm

They look wonderful. What will you be doing with your harvest?
~ Patti ~

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Really nice. I should try Chocolate Stripes.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

TheDante
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:44 pm

MissS wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:23 pm They look wonderful. What will you be doing with your harvest?
Thanks Patti :) Oh, I usually end up giving many of our plants, fruit and vegetables to friends, neighbours, acquaintances and some of the friendly staff at the supermarket that I usually visit. The joy of giving and sharing can be addictive! :lol:

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Those are beautiful pictures!!!
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

TheDante
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:02 pm

arnorrian wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:48 pm Really nice. I should try Chocolate Stripes.
Thanks arnorrian. You should! :)

Please bear with me as I have a wee bit of a history to share about the Chocolate Stripes tomato. I have a few pictures to share of this variety that I have grown over these past few years. The first time I bought a tomato variety called ´Vintage Wine´ from a vendor in the Amazon UK site, it grew out to be this colour. It was only about 2 years ago that I realised that this was not Vintage Wine but Chocolate Stripes. It does make me wonder when I found a variety called `Not Vintage Wine´ (looks exactly similar to what I have been growing) mentioned in Tomatoville as well as some webpages (even Craig LeHouiller grew it) if this was actually the same tomato that I have been growing all these years.

In addition, I gave some seeds to my gardening guru Charles Dowding in 2016 and told him these were Vintage Wine seeds and he has been growing it since he also loved this tomato variety. I have not had the courage to let him know :oops:

I also only started saving some of my own tomato seeds this year because all these years I have always been purchasing new seeds and the Chocolate Stripes always did NOT grow out to be a striped green and dark orange tomato as shown in my pics. Our family dentist also loves this variety and for these 2 years I have disappointed him sorely when the tomato plants produced different tomatoes. My credibility was at stake even though we give him plants for free.

Hence, how my obsession began with seed saving and a whole new discovery of the tomato varieties available out there!

TheDante
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:10 pm

these were all the Chocolate Stripes varieties that I grew these past years. 2018 makes me wonder because it is larger and more ribbed than usual!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheDante
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:12 pm

:oops: OMG, my pics are huge! :o

Do let me know what size pixels would be a comfortable size for viewing.

Please let me know if I am posting too many or too big pictures. I will stop.

I am new at this forum thingy whereby I can post. Just love to share our garden pics with peeps :oops:

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:14 pm

It's always interesting to hear about a variety's history. I'm just starting to be serious about seed saving, and it's hard to resist buying new ones to try out, especially if your garden space is limited.

The picture size is ok.

TheDante
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:30 pm

The great thing about saving your own seed is that you will likely not be surprised by a different variety. And you can always store tomato seeds longer (more than 5 years or longer!) than certain other varieties e.g.lettuce (1-2yrs only) and be able to try other different tomato varieties.

I intend to try to grow as many as humanly possible next year my 4 digit different tomato varieties that I have acquired since September even if it kills me! :lol:
Last edited by TheDante on Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDante
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:14 am

arnorrian wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:48 pm Really nice. I should try Chocolate Stripes.
hey arnorrian, let me know if you would like some Choc. Stripes seeds and would gladly send you some :)

arnorrian
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks, that's a generous offer, I wouldn't like to bother you.

TheDante
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 am

arnorrian wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am Thanks, that's a generous offer, I wouldn't like to bother you.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D dont be silly. I am more than happy to send some to you. In fact, I would like to send you 2 lots, one from seeds saved grown in the Polytunnel and the other grown outdoors :)

I can also include Ananas Noire (Black Pineapple) if you like which is those 4 big beautiful green looking toms in my pics!

I am sooooooooooooo happy to be able to partake in this forum and the world needs more acts of kindness despite the madness and chaos! And I would love to be able to share my seeds with like-minded tomatoholics like us!

PM me your mailing address, no quibbles about it :D
Last edited by TheDante on Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:39 am

Ok, will do. :D

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Beautiful tomatoes thanks for sharing.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

TheDante
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:18 am

Thanks AZGardener :D

More to come in the new growing season! :P

TheDante
Reactions:

Our Humble Garden in Spring 2018

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:31 pm

My husband took a video of our humble garden for my parents - hope you will enjoy viewing it too :D
(not sure why it is choppy for the first few seconds, please bear with it - perfectly clear on my phone tho) oh, if you suffer from motion sickness, might affect you a wee bit - sorry about that. :(

ddsack
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Very nice layout! Looks like you have plenty of room to grow whatever you want. Lots of fruit trees, old and new. What all kinds of trees/bushes are you growing?

TheDante
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks ddsack :D

We were very lucky to find this approx. 1 acre empty piece of land in 2011 and was only able to finally own it, build a house and establish the garden a year later after all the red tape. Most of the fruit trees and fruit bushes and vegetable beds (7 beds of green asparagus too!) were established within 2 years. The younger trees towards the end of the video were planted just a few months before the video was made. Planted several more fruit trees this year too. Clearly running out of space in the garden as well :lol:

We have I reckon over 50 fruits trees, blueberries, pinkberries (MUST GROW!) , raspberries, gooseberries, black currants, table grapes, kiwi, blackberries, tayberry - I think that´s what we have so far :lol:

Our fruit trees consists of

sweet cherries (majority of them, easily 10 varieties - the dear hubby loves them!)
mulberries (both white and black/red variety)
apples
pears
nashi pears
peaches
chestnuts
apricots
damson plums (Zwetsche)
japanese plums
paw paw (Indian banana - not the delmonte kind :lol: )

we have several blueberries, pinkberries, dwarf sweet cherries, table grapes growing in 120l containers on the terrace too.

That´s what enthusiasm does to me! ha! Never looked back ever since. My late mother-in-law loved our garden, it was like being on holiday for her :lol:
Last edited by TheDante on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Not seeing a video but I never get tired of looking at that chocolate stripes. The property sounds well planted and well used. No doubt very enjoyable to be in.

Return to “The Gallery”