Rockoe's 2021 Grow Log

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
Rockoe10
Reactions:

Rockoe's 2021 Grow Log

Wed May 19, 2021 12:53 pm

I thought this would be a good year to start logging my all things plants.

We've been in this house for 5 years, but this will be the fourth season I've grown anything.

The ground was rocky, and the top soil was stripped by the previous occupants to level the yard. The area was seeded with grass and had several weeds too.

The first year, the kids and I dug a 15x7 area by hand. The wife and I removed to turf to be used in other areas of the yard, and rocks were removed. The ground was all clay. I tried growing some various plants, and nothing took.

The second year, I tried the Straw Bale approach. It was significantly more successful than the first year, and I got green peppers! I've never had luck with green peppers. The only issue was the available space with bales, and getting my hands on them.

The third year, I purchased a green house. It was wonderfully cheap. And like all cheap things, it didn't last. I did use the frame however as support. And continue to use it as such. The ground had become leagues better by this point. I had spread the old straw out and hand tilled it in. Then applied a mulch of grass. I had the best crop of tomatoes and jalapenos I have ever had. The pest bugs and mammals were the biggest place for improvement.

This year, I have turned in my compost and the previous year's mulch. I layered clean cardboard with fresh, hot chicken manure on top. Sandwich with my ornamental grass on top of that. The ground, when turned, is rich and alive with worm activity. The soil is crumbly and moist even though the week has been dry.

This year, I'm focusing on a large array of tomatoes to try and peppers that I crossed over the winter.

Here, I started my seeds in Dixie cups. They worked great, and are a better substitute to peat pellets. However, they decompose quickly and I found it difficult to handle during the "Up-Potting".
20210429_173355.jpg
The seedlings started the commutes in and out of the basement. Warm days were around 50°F and would freeze at night. The seedlings we brought back in under LED lamps each night. And kept inside for several days at a time, waiting for the next warm day.
20210426_105219.jpg
I Up Potted them into bigger Dixie cups, coated in a wax. These held up better than the smaller ones, and were able to be thrown into my compost afterwards. The plants at the point needed the outdoors desperately.
20210504_204018.jpg
I started noticing some sun burn in the leaves. I had to be careful and only gave them a couple hours of morning sun, then left them in the shade all day. Still bringing them in on cold nights that dipped below 50°F.
20210512_095737.jpg
This week was forecasted to be HOT HOT HOT 🔥🔥🔥. I had to get them in the ground and adjusted. I watered them in after planting then as deep as I could. And kept the straw pulled away until they get bigger. Each day I've went out with a bucket and gently watered them with a light fertilizer. These days have hit the low 80°F's. The plants look to be adjusting well. Now, I have to make sure the pests don't get them.
20210517_193854.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

bower
Reactions:

Re: Rockoe's 2021 Grow Log

Wed May 19, 2021 7:32 pm

They look really happy, sheltered in the straw! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 am

Do you have any Septoria resistant varieties going? I think that was you that was asking about that a ways back.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu May 20, 2021 5:36 am

That was me, but none of these are said to be resistant to Septoria. These are mostly heirloom, except for one Porterhouse F1.

What I can do, if disease strikes again, is determine which of these are more susceptible than another. But I'm hoping I don't have to 😅

And the plants are sleeping better than me, with all that straw 😂. Kidding aside, it works wonders. I feel like a straw spokes person.
- - - - - - - -

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Thu May 20, 2021 12:02 pm

Gotcha. I have a few going, by September or November I’ll have some ideas on resistance.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu May 20, 2021 2:39 pm

[mention]Mark_Thompson[/mention] you do!? Are you planning on participating in the next MMMM? Lol
- - - - - - - -

MrBig46
Reactions:

Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Mark_Thompson wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 am Do you have any Septoria resistant varieties going? I think that was you that was asking about that a ways back.
This year I'm growing Lorell from Darell Jones, which should be resistant to Septoria spotting.
Vladimír

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Thu May 20, 2021 4:53 pm

I don't want to derail your grow log with a bunch of Septoria chat, maybe I'll resurrect the old thread and tag you there.

Return to “The Gallery”