Tomatoes Coming On

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tomatoes Coming On

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:51 pm

The 'Red Siberian' is starting to produce. I've got about ten almost-ripes picked and safely in the house against marauding squirrels. These got picked right after the photo was taken.

This is 'Mom's Paste'. Last year in the too-shady spot she didn't do much at all but I gave her a second chance this year. Wow, she's putting on some pretty big paste tomatoes! I hope they taste good.

And this is 'Homestead'. I first tried it a few years ago and now it's an every year thing. This one is loading up and the tomatoes are still small as it's a little later than some of the others I have.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Tomatoes Coming On

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Wonderful! And your plants still look really clean!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Paulf
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:26 am

About half my twenty plants have small greenies. Another three weeks at least here.

Labradors
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:03 am

All my 16 plants in my veggie garden (plus the container plants on the deck) have green tomatoes. I've even picked blushing tomatoes from 5 varieties because the forecast calls for a lot of rain in the next few days. It seems really early for us this year, as often we don't get any ripe tomatoes from the veggie garden until August! We had a heatwave in May that caused everything to grow like mad :).

Linda

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:08 pm

KBX has been slow coming on but the first one is almost ready and it's a nice sized one.

Here are a few that have been finishing up indoors. Top: Fake Annie, German Johnson, Creole Original. Bottom: Rebel Yell, SOTW, Inzhir Rosovyi.

The Rebel Yell is the largest at 14.3oz (405g), then the Inzhir at 10.5 oz (297g) and SOTW at 9.9 oz (280g).

Fake Annie is something that we named as the seed came from a pack of purchased Early Annie seed from which I grew two plants last year. One grew true to description; regular leaf, early and determinate, a rather small plant and the red tomatoes are maybe 2" wide. The other was/is a larger plant with large potato leaves, deep yellow tomatoes larger than the red ones and it seems to be indeterminate! Pretty prolific in fruit set too. It has an almost fruity flavor whereas the red one doesn't. Go figure. Just to have something to call it, we named it Fake Annie!

zendog
Reactions:

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Nice tomatoes. I'd love to see another picture of them when you slice them open, particularly the Inzhir.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:27 pm

Here's the interior of that Inzhir Rosovyi a few posts ago:

Those seed cavities ran pretty deep and I couldn't squeeze out a lot of seed. But using a spoon to get down in each one got the rest of the seeds out.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Some beautiful tomatoes there [mention]GoDawgs[/mention], pity that they are not down under yet.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks, Woz! It's pretty encouraging this year as last year they didn't do so well with too much shade. Actually the first small canning happened today. Just five pints and three pints of juice for soup base but there's a lot more on the horizon if nothing dire happens.

Return to “The Gallery”