Got roses?

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
bower
Reactions:

Got roses?

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:18 pm

We are having a good season for the roses here - at least, the rugosas are doing great and now the others are starting to chime in. With cloudy and sultry weather I was happy to get pics of my favorite white that aren't a total blur.
Blanc double de coubert is simply my favorite rose. They are really vigorous and spreading, and the smell is fantastic. I do even like to make liquor by putting the petals in vodka.. it makes a lovely drink which is calming in times of stress ;)
blancdoubledecoubert-264.JPG
blancdoubledecoubert-265.JPG
My other spreading rugosa is an old fashioned pink which I got from my mother. These roses can be seen in many gardens around the island.
oldfashioned276.JPG
I do have one more rugosa type which is quite different, being of short stature and making large hips. These found their way home after a day at the beach in Mt. Carmel where they grow wild, but my little bushes haven't bloomed yet so will have to wait another year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

bower
Reactions:

Re: Got roses?

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:23 pm

Another old rose I dearly love is the Maiden's Blush. In many years they are practically white, but this year are really showing their delicate pink. I love the shape of these which is so ruffly it reminds me of peonies, although they're much smaller than that. These also smell lovely.
maidensblush354.JPG
maidensblush362.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
temperate marine climate

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:58 pm

i only have one type of rose currently growing.
it is a white climber that i started from a cutting from a bush from my childhood home.
that bush came from my moms childhood home, so there is some history there. this is not
the best climate for it, but it survives, and blooms. i took two additional cuttings from the original
plant to ensure its existence. it is hard to narrow down what variety of rose it is. figure about 100 years
its been around. it has a light fragrance, not strong like some of the older roses can have.

keith

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:55 pm

This one is a species rose called Eglantine or Sweetbriar Rose (Rosa rubiginosa), which I grew from seed. It took years and years for it to adapt to this place and get big enough to make flowers. Now it's quite a tall and very thorny bush with a fruity smell. The simple roses produce large orange-red hips in fall which hang on the plant well into winter.
eglantine-rose.JPG
temperate marine climate

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:28 pm

I hope my rugosas are still alive in my old New England garden. Blanc Double de Coubert was fabulous. I had a ton of old garden roses and a bunch of the repeat flowering David Austen varieties. Buff Beauty was amazing as was Madam Hardy.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 am

[mention]PlainJane[/mention] I just adore the old heirloom roses. But coincidentally they are generally the ones we can get to survive here. The exquisite tea roses and so on, (which you must likely have in Florida? ) just don't make it, or they last a year or two before going down.

I bought most of these roses bare root from Corn Hill Nursery back in the 1990's, and all of their stock has survived and thrived. Back then they had the same practice of rating fragrance with 'how many f's' and that was important to me. Just revisited their catalog and some others after reading your comment... sheesh! I need more roses! :lol:

This is an odd one from Germany called Raubritter, with lovely cup shaped roses that have a strange peppery smell - not too strong though, or the petals would fall off when you sneezed. It should probably be trained as a climber but since I didn't do that, it's spread into a large feral patch. We've sometimes included it in cutflower bouquets for market, but the petals drop pretty quickly so a good thing there are always lots of buds. Later than the rugosas, just beginning now.
Raubritter-rose-501.JPG
raubritter-rose-503.JPG
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:14 am

Survivor-rose-454.JPG
My other late rose also came from Corn Hill and is the only true 'red' that I have. This is the first of them to open this season. It was a discontinued selection bred by one of the Ag Canada stations, called "Survivor". Indeed it seems many of the stems mostly die back every year but new shoots emerge and it bears blooms for a fairly long time. I love the color, but the fragrance is pretty faint - lightly fruity if It can be detected at all.
What's your favorite smelling red rose?
temperate marine climate

PlainJane
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:54 am

[mention]Bower[/mention], I love old garden roses. I grew Topaz, Blanc Double, Madam Hardy, Madam Plantier, Maidens Blush, Buff Beauty and Penelope. I had 8 or 9 of the early David Austen roses that repeat flower and look like OGRs. I’ve tried a few down here in Florida but they really struggle in this climate. And since I won’t spray, black spot takes its toll. I should research tea roses again.

I actually almost got Raubritter as there is nothing in quite that shade of pink, and because of a photo I saw of it growing in a garden in England. Stunning rose.
- Robert A. Heinlein

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:44 am

Yes you're right - Raubritter is a warmer pink which is unusual. It doesn't really show in the pics above, but when they really get blooming it's easy to see the contrast with the pink mallows. The scent is not attractive, unfortunately. I'm never sorry for the extra space claimed by something that smells wonderful... Your collection sounds awesome, what a shame they suffer in your new climate. But there are so many wonderful smelling shrubs and flowers that belong in the tropics, it's a pretty good trade. :)
temperate marine climate

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:58 am

[mention]Bower[/mention] how difficult is it to grow a rose from seed? Right now I'm trying to grow from cuttings, don't know yet if I'm successful.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

bower
Reactions:

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:59 am

[mention]peebee[/mention] I believe most roses do not come true to seed, so cuttings are a better bet to get a specific rose.
The Sweet Briar which is a species rose was difficult to grow from seed. I bought a packet of seeds and cold stratified etc to get them to germinate but got nothing. The pot with the seeds was dumped somewhere in the garden and after some years I found a single plant growing which eventually proved to be the same one. Mind you, the seeds I bought may have been far from fresh. But low germination rates seem to be typical of roses.
Apparently the length of time from seed to bloom varies a lot depending on the species or variety. They all need cold stratification, but hybrid tea roses can grow quickly and bloom the same year that they germinated! So ymmv a lot especially compared to my cold climate. I think it would be well worth doing if results are that fast. Getting different roses from the parent plant would be a bonus! :) Plant lots of seeds, and expect no more than 20% to germinate.
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:33 am

rosehips-MoMC-august-686.JPG
I was out this morning and took a few pics of.. rosehips!
The beach rose which I've been waiting for made a single rose this year, and I somehow failed to get a pic. The rosebud was white with a touch of pink blush like Maiden's Blush, and opened the palest shell pink-white. These are single blooms and don't last long, but it spared no time in producing a large red hip. As the Eglantine hips are just ripening now I wanted to show the amazing size of this rosehip. I think it's even bigger than the ones we saw on the beach. And Eglantine, which is grown for the large hips, isn't even close to the size!

Also wondering if any of our gardeners from the other side of the pond have seen roses with big hips like this in Ireland or elsewhere in the British Isles. Edited to add after browsing some pics on google: It is probably not from Ireland after all... but a common "Beach Rose" rugosa which was introduced to North America from Asia long ago. But these hips are huge compared to the Dog Rose which is wild around here. Looks like food to me! :)
rosehips-eglantine-sep26-014.JPG
rosehips-compare-MoMC-018.JPG
rosehips-eglantine-vs-MoMC-022.JPG
Rosehip-MoMC-seeds-034.JPG
temperate marine climate

peebee
Reactions:

Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:47 pm

They look like large plum cherry tomatoes!
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:45 pm

Oh... I'm excited... I think at least some of these little sprouts are newly minted Beach Roses. :) Can't all be weeds...
beachrose-sprouts-312.JPG
temperate marine climate

PlainJane
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:51 pm

Yes, those look like rose sprouts!
- Robert A. Heinlein

bower
Reactions:

Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:29 am

Looks like there could be 22 rose seedlings there from one hip.
I don't know what the chances are of a cross with one of my other roses, but apparently although R. rugosa has been hybridized successfully with many other rose species, the hybrids themselves are not very fertile. Some pollen tests found many of them at 20% pollen fertility or less. Blanc de Coubert was tested and came out at just 35%.
Article about the rugosa and its hybrids is here: Issue 3:6 from 1932.
https://arboretum.harvard.edu/arnoldia/ ... a-archive/
I also tried to get seeds from the hips on my Maiden's Blush, but found a lot of hips had no seed in them at all. So although it's not a rugosa, it doesn't seem to be very fertile. I got one seed to plant only, and that isn't showing any sign yet.
Still I will be quite happy to grow up a bunch of these big hipped beach roses, and make a hedge somewhere. :)
temperate marine climate

Return to “The Gallery”