Hummingbirds in Spring

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Hummingbirds in Spring

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:00 am

This is the young female that has been a regular bather for a while. They need to keep their eggs humid to some degree and this is how the do it. I imagine that it might also help with mites. She bathes then sits on a branch to preen for bit the she's gone till the next bath or to do some bugging. They nest early compared to other birds.

Coming in for a landing.

Yesterday while I was out walking I heard a 'Himmy' singing very nearby. No trees. Not in the wild roses. Then I saw him and snapped an image with an old Olympus I sometimes carry in a pocket.
What was he thinking?

Sitting on a mail box. Flat surfaces like that are not their usual choice. It is said that hummingbirds do not walk more than an inch or so in their entire lives. They perch or fly. They will hover to move along a branch but will not walk. Or so they say. I got a video shot of one walking sideways along a clothes line maybe 1 1/2 inches all in one go one day last year. Well, it was special for me!

Anna's hummingbirds are the only ones who 'sing. It is a raspy little zingy chirping. One xmas my SIL came in all concerned about the hummingbird who was making noises in its throat, thinking the bird was in trouble. Nope. That's how they sing!

Anna's hummingbirds are the fastest moving animal on the planet. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/ ... Earth.html

kath
Reactions:

Re: Hummingbirds in Spring

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:35 pm

LOVE hummingbirds! I'm amazed that you have them visiting already- and more than just the Ruby-throated! Great photos and a fun new facts!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:39 pm

Our first one showed up here two days ago. That's about a week late as they usually show up around the 18th-20th like clockwork.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:51 pm

kath wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:35 pm LOVE hummingbirds! I'm amazed that you have them visiting already- and more than just the Ruby-throated! Great photos and a fun new facts!
They live here year round and have baths daily even in winter unless it is freezing cold. The water on their feathers helps them spread oil along the feathers which then keep the birds warm. Mother nature has a reason for everything.
I find that a small fountain attracts many birds. I keep other pans out for larger birds to bathe so the fountain stays clean longer.

kath
Reactions:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:33 am

Growing Coastal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:51 pm
kath wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:35 pm LOVE hummingbirds! I'm amazed that you have them visiting already- and more than just the Ruby-throated! Great photos and a fun new facts!
They live here year round and have baths daily even in winter unless it is freezing cold. The water on their feathers helps them spread oil along the feathers which then keep the birds warm. Mother nature has a reason for everything.
I find that a small fountain attracts many birds. I keep other pans out for larger birds to bathe so the fountain stays clean longer.
What fun! You are so fortunate!

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:37 am

Saw the first of the returning Rufous hummingbirds last night around 5 pm. Males always arrive first. I've been wondering where they are as the wild currant has been blooming for a week. There he was at the feeder. It's like he returns straight to that feeder to check if it's still there. Yes little fellow, it's there.
I know they haven't been around before yesterday because their flying makes a zinging noise, unlike the Anna's, and I just haven't heard it out there yet.
He could have waited a few days as there is snow predicted for the next 2 days but not any that will stay as temps wil be above freezing.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:42 am

Here's a Rufous juvenile male, as far as I can tell. There have been very few Rufous around this year. I saw a couple in April and almost none until now that the babies are out.

A bit of beak smacking after napping.

A little scratch on the head.

And a stretch before visiting the flowers again.

Rufous is in competition with the young Anna's male that has been hanging around in the yard for a while now.

Preening after a bath.

Oh, now here's a thing, the headshake. So fast it looks like a spinning top. They can do this while flying or sitting.
www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-15620024
The cameras show that the delicate bird shakes its head with such acceleration that it can reach a g-force of 34 (Formula 1 racing cars typically reach less than 6g).

This mid-air manoeuvre takes just 0.1 seconds and removes almost all of the water droplets from its feathers.

Last edited by Growing Coastal on Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:47 am

Fantastic photos. Thanks so very very much for sharing these special moments.
~ Patti ~

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:55 am

Such beautiful photos! So nice to see them up close. Thanks for sharing

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Magnificent photos, just got to love love those little nectar drinkers

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:23 am

Such beauty!
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 pm

My favorite is the last one. I have never seen anyone catch that shot before.
~ Patti ~

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:51 pm

Beautiful photos!
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “The Gallery”