How serious is the coronavirus?

Off Topic Area
brownrexx
Reactions:

Re: How serious is the coronavirus?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 pm

I think that they do and I certainly would but how likely are they to inhale anything infectious from bags of trash? More likely that they would touch something infectious.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 pm

@worth1
Yeah, I think that's a little strange that they don't just say it (and that they frequently deny that there's much connection between them), too. COVID-19 is the exact same species as SARS (but they're different strains, and thus not the same virus in that sense; so, it's possibly about the difference between Brandywine Suddeth's strain and some other Brandywine). All you have to do to figure out that they're the same species is look at the taxonomy of each virus on Wikipedia (see the links above). The closest I've heard to them admitting their relationship is saying that they're in the same family (families are a far cry from species, though, but they are in the same family, true). I haven't even heard them admit they're in the same genus.

But if they have a vaccine for SARS, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it would prevent COVID-19 (to some degree, anyhow). They should address whether or not people who have had SARS can get COVID-19. But if no one know's they're very closely related and that similar antibodies probably work on them, then they probably won't even try to use the knowledge they've gained about SARS to help.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

kath
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:13 pm

worth1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:07 pm
Please watch this.
Thanks for posting this, Worth- it was really good and I'm sharing this with others.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 pm

@Shule There is no vaccine for SARS1. They stopped the developement when the virus was contained.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7
Elevation: 140 m

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 pm

Worth, I wasn't able to watch the video, but by the replies - I get it. There is rarely anything natural that is new - it just mutates into a different strain. We as gardeners know that.
Texas Zone 8A

roper2008
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:35 am

worth1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:04 pm
Clkeiper wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Wait... did he just say... "we saw this back in 2003?" so its not new?
There are untold billions of these virus contently mutating most hit a dead end and die out.
This one mutated and hit the jackpot with humans.
Yes is is a mutated SARS virus from back then.
Spent most of my life reading about viruses due to the HIV virus.
In my opinion it is all about evolution.
The less complex the organism the more rapid it evolves.
The more complex it is the longer it takes to evolve.
The less complex organism causes the more complex organism to evolve in a manner of speaking.
Just by chance this one hit when the world or at least the US was in the best economy I have seen in my life.
Reminds me of the roaring 20's followed by the great depression of the 30's.
Interesting then as will be now some will stand to make a fortune it.
Pharmaceutical will make a fortune from it.

Bower
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 am

brownrexx wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 pm
I think that they do and I certainly would but how likely are they to inhale anything infectious from bags of trash? More likely that they would touch something infectious.
I can understand them wanting a mask. Think about the CDC instructions on laundry - don't shake it. If there's virus on trash bag or container surfaces, knocking them around could put it in the air.
But even if a mask isn't deemed 'necessary' for handling trash, if it makes the workers feel better then it is a great gesture. Even a remote chance of preventing a single illness is a good thing, as long as it doesn't take PPE from those who need it most. Go for it, Nan! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:11 am

roper2008 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:35 am
Still picking on Pharmaceutical? Look what is happening to the population and the economy when something hits that has no vaccine and no pharmaceutical treatment.

@Bower I am very impressed with @Nan6b thoughtfulness in wanting to do this and I understand people wanting to wear masks for a sense of security. I was just wondering if it would be helpful. I hope that I did not offend you @Nan6b

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:34 am

[/quote]

I for one am not one to run to the doctor for much of anything, but I am very thankful when I need something that I can get something as simple a cheap antibiotic. last night I borrowed a puff of my sons inhaler as I have been coughing the crud since DECEMBER and it isn't going away. I had one antibiotic to clear up the sinus infection and two blown eardrums but the crud just doesn't stop draining. I was in a dusty environment last night and couldn't catch my breath or stop coughing... I have NEVER needed an inhaler and going to the ER was a stupid option since there was one here already... BUT I am very thankful for the pharmaceuticals in an emergency or to get over an infection like I had. they serve a purpose.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 am

I wasn't thinking of pharma.
I was thinking of regular investments.
I also remember the big trend towards canning after the second world war.
Then that died away.
There are many opportunities for us older folks the make money after this if we just do it.
The young ones will be standing in line to give it away.
It wouldn't surprise me if cook books didn't fly off the shelves.
Or YouTube cooking videos became more popular.
Gun sales are up for first time buyers.
The possibilities are endless.
I all honesty most of the younger folks aren't jerks and want to learn.
You start cutting them down and all bets are off.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Bower
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 am

@brownrexx maybe we just need to learn one crazy rule at a time. ;) Wait till we all get the "ten foot pole" rule first. Then when that's become normal, add a mask if it helps.
Lets not argue about differences expressed in the past. Even I am in the cheering section for whomever does something constructive and helpful, especially pharma and medicine.
I am really grateful that scientists and labs, big pharma, little pharma, whatever and whoever has the means to find a treatment or cure for this is working hard to do it! I don't object to a reward for their efforts either. Go team! :)
temperate marine climate

Labradors
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 am

Bower ain't that the truth? It's so hard to keep up the "two meter" distancing. It is new to us and we so easily forget! We find ourselves stepping closer (so that we can hear better). I just watched a video that said gloves aren't a good idea because germs stick to them better than our hands, and we cannot help ourselves from touching our faces! We need to practice, practice, practice.....

Linda

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:16 pm

Hubby and I just went for a little drive and noticed that the parking lot at the Wal Mart was full as was the one at the grocery store. Wal Mart does sell groceries but it does seem like some people in my area are not taking this seriously. It does make me mad that so many of us are giving up our freedom and even incomes and then others just can't resist going shopping! What is wrong with these people? Can they not get through a couple of weeks without going to Wal-Mart?

Bower
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:05 pm

Labradors, yeah it is even tricky in wide open spaces, let alone getting in or out of a door.
My tryout wear of the mask was an eye opener too. Where do you put it when you take it off? Oops? Um, here's a pocket I'm not using. Stuff it in there and leave it 24 hours before I try to get it into the laundry.... much later of course, I realized what about the coat anyway? Is it any different other than being further down than other people's faces. Luckily I'm not going anywhere... leave all the clothes until later. But the question then, assume your mask or clothes has been contaminated, how do you deal with it, without passing it on to yourself. Don't shake it, scrub hands after handling, let it sit for 24 hours before revisiting?
The latest figures have got me worrying about PPE for health care workers - quite a lot have become infected in Ontario and other hotspots. That is before we are short of PPE, it already doesn't seem to be working. :evil: Is the PPE really adequate, or what is the issue that needs improvement so they don't get sick? I know taking it off you is the hardest part of using PPE. :(
At least some of the ill health care workers here are associated with outbreaks in seniors' facilities. Maybe they weren't using PPE until it had spread? :?: :?:
temperate marine climate

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:24 pm

You're dealing with a biohazard.
If you're not treating it as such then everything is out the window.
That means the whole suite along with decontamination shower.
Something that isn't going to happen.
I honestly feel that the stuff people are using is just collecting more ways to get contaminated.
I seeing guys wearing dust masks and bandanas.
As was said if it makes them feel better fine.
About all I can do is somehow keep soap on my hands.
Jobsites dont have crap to wash hands.
This is a violation.
In a right to work state trouble makers get let go.
Texas also has a law that allows employers to let people go without reason.
The dam state sucks when it comes to workers rights federal law or not.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Just heard this afternoon that a resident at the nursing home 2 1/2 miles from my home has the virus.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Since the HEB store seems to always be packed I am going to my other place to get things more often if not always till this blows over.
That is the Jalisco meat market.
Several reasons why.
One it isn't packed with hoarders and they have stuff.
Two they have what I eat, Mexican food mostly and they have a nice meat market.
I am putting the odds in my favor by cutting down the amount of people I have to be around.
Got ten limes six big nice beef shanks and my guacamole salsa.
The place is like right off the road going home 2 miles from my house.
Worth

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Something I was wondering about but haven't yet taken these precautions regarding bringing groceries or other items into the house, now. Recommended by a Michigan doctor.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/2 ... rus-crisis

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Growing Coastal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Something I was wondering about but haven't yet taken these precautions regarding bringing groceries or other items into the house, now. Recommended by a Michigan doctor.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/2 ... rus-crisis
Strange, I leave my groceries that wont spoil on the floor of my garage out of laziness.
Been doing it for a long time.
Stuff that will spoil like meat goes in the freezer or refrigerator in the garage.
Couldn't care less about butter eggs and cheese when I refrigerate them.
Trash can stays on the street half the time anyway, 'now it is necessary, just take the trash to the street and put it in by opening the lid with a stick.
Honestly it is only when I get careless that I get sick.
Worth

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Global COVID-19 cases have surpassed half a million.

The U.S. has nearly 80,000 COVID-19 cases, following close behind Italy and China's case count, according to the Johns Hopkins Dashboard. Italy has about 800 cases more and China has about 2,000 cases more than the U.S.

Other states should prepare for a coronavirus outbreak as large as that in New York, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, according to NPR.

While New York has nearly half of all the COVID-19 cases in the U.S., Louisiana is facing the fastest growth of new cases in the world, according to The New York Times. As of Thursday morning, Louisiana had nearly 1,800 cases of COVID-19.

The polls are showing that Trump public approval in at the highest since his election.

The U.S. Senate has passed a record $2 trillion stimulus package 96-0. The House is expected to vote on it Friday.

Unemployment claims in United States skyrocketed to a record 3.283 million.
Enjoy the Day!
~ Patti ~

Return to “Area 51”