How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
Bower
Reactions: 1237

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Like everyone everywhere, we expected to see a spike in covid cases after Christmas, even though the travel rules weren't relaxed to allow holiday travel without quarantine. All fall there has been a steady stream of new cases, from travel, including rotational workers who are back and forth and many work sites experiencing outbreaks. Anyway it remains unexplained, but our covid cases have almost completely dried up here since Christmas instead. As people continue to recover we are down to three cases, one in hospital as of today. Our CMOH has repeatedly asked for anyone to come forward even with mild symptoms, on suspicion that some cases must've gone undetected, but nothing turned up and case numbers continued to shrink! I guess the amount of travel was about the same, yet the number of new cases dropped to a trickle, which left them wondering why on earth that would happen... it's so unlikely.
Just heard on the news that antibody kits are being sent out to 5,000 households here, to determine if there has been asymptomatic covid spread that we're unaware of. Guess I should check the mailbox! I think we need more antibody testing, it's the only way to know where the virus has been.
Meanwhile we are up to 5,000 vaccinated, which is about 1% of our half million population.
I think we have around 6,000 registered nurses. So I'm looking forward to double that vaccination number and get to the point where all our medical staff have been protected! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

PhilaGardener
Reactions: 72

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Good to hear all that progress! :)
Gardening near Philadelphia (USA)

karstopography
Reactions: 999

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Our state shifted the allocation of vaccine in week 5 to “hubs” whatever that means. So my county of 378,000 people gets exactly zero doses for week five. Northwest of us Fort Bend county with 835,000 people gets 400 doses. To the east and Northeast, Galveston county with 345,000 people gets 400. To the southwest, Matagorda county of 36,000 gets 100. 900 doses for 1.6 million people,humm. Harris county gets 30,000 doses. 30 times the vaccine for 3 times the people, seems fair. :shock: Guess that the 378k people in Brazoria county are going to have to travel to get theirs this week. Grandma and grandpa from the sticks, the only ones really eligible beyond first responders/health care at this point, are just going to love the drive into big city traffic, nah, probably not so much.

Hope they come back to our little county in the following weeks. Let’s see if this hub strategy works.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 448

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:46 pm

We are still on the up at the moment, cases down but deaths expected to rise over next two weeks and then hopefully fall. Health workers having hard time due to some extreme views in social media but majority support and love, so hoping crackdown on crazy nay sayers. Key now is to cope with increase in intensive care and get those on recovery in other facilities. People need to stick with the rules.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

worth1
Reactions: 2549

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Second day trying to convince worker to get vaccination.
I can understand some people's logic for not wanting it but not ignorance and wild tales from Dr Google and friends.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.
The only things we have to fear in the kitchen are hot oil and falling knives.

pondgardner
Reactions: 681
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:58 pm

karstopography wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm
Our state shifted the allocation of vaccine in week 5 to “hubs” whatever that means. So my county of 378,000 people gets exactly zero doses for week five. Northwest of us Fort Bend county with 835,000 people gets 400 doses. To the east and Northeast, Galveston county with 345,000 people gets 400. To the southwest, Matagorda county of 36,000 gets 100. 900 doses for 1.6 million people,humm. Harris county gets 30,000 doses. 30 times the vaccine for 3 times the people, seems fair. :shock: Guess that the 378k people in Brazoria county are going to have to travel to get theirs this week. Grandma and grandpa from the sticks, the only ones really eligible beyond first responders/health care at this point, are just going to love the drive into big city traffic, nah, probably not so much.

Hope they come back to our little county in the following weeks. Let’s see if this hub strategy works.
The local newspaper just announced that 300 doses of the Pfizer vaccine were tossed because the storage temperature dropped 1.5˚ below the recommended temperature when it was being transported to the distribution site. Now whether that small difference would matter is questionable, as Pfizer didn't do any trials at that number, but it would seem that there would have been a few volunteers, who are waiting to be vaccinated because of age restrictions, that would have welcomed the shot.
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 311mm

worth1
Reactions: 2549

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 pm

Good lord.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.
The only things we have to fear in the kitchen are hot oil and falling knives.

Bower

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:18 pm

I hear the Johnson and Johnson vaccine may be approved and begin to be available as soon as March. Single shot. No special freezers.
Many vaccines for the win, I say.
temperate marine climate

Sue_CT
Reactions: 916

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Let me explain how COVID has effected me personally in unexpected ways that I have not shared. I have worked in a very small community hospital for the last 20 years. I had hoped/planned to retire from there in 7 years. Last February/March our parent company closed us down because of COVID so as to consolidate staff at another local hospital they owned. No warning, we had no say in it. I said, OK everyone, this is where we are needed now. We will go "home" again when this is over. We became the staff on the closed surgical floor which became the "all covid" floor. In a hospital we didn't know, with people we didn't know. We were not permenant staff there, we have a different union and contract, we didn''t belong. When COVID died down in the spring they said they hoped to open us back up, but nope, they decided the "numbers just weren't there." But they started booking surgeries again and the "real" staff didn't like to float to other floors, didn't consider us one of them, and so we were floated all over the hospital. No say in where we went, no idea when we went in in the morning where we would be sent or what type of nursing we would be doing, or how bad it would be. I would start to get a knot in my stomach knowing I had to go to work in the morning. Then the union there decided they did not like us being there to "help" any more because it might take away from over time some of their nurses might want. So we were told we were going to be considered "flex" staff, with not only no say in where we worked but we would no longer have guaranteed hours. If someone was to be called off it would be us. As time has gone on and my little hospital was not opening up, and I had no control over my work life and career any more, in the most stressful time of my work life, and I started to feel while I did the most difficult work of my life, I was appreciated less and less. Nurses started jumping ship and taking jobs at this hospital left and right. The youngest ones first. But the union for the other hospital also decided we were to be treated like new hires if we accepted a job there. So I kept trying to hang on. I was getting anxious and depressed. Finally yesterday, I accepted the last day shift position on the surgical floor. I will be losing 20 years of senority and at 60 years old the low man of the totem pole so to speak, and the first to be laid off if it ever comes to that. I went to sleep last night without that knot in my stomach for the first time in many months. At least I knew what job I would be going into in the morning for the first time in almost a year.

I am sharing this because I know a lot people have no idea that the stress many of us have been going through beyond what you see on TV, includes job insecurity on top of everthing else, just like many of you. I have been at one of the lowest points in my life other than when my father was dying, and trying to be a "hero" in the COVID war at the same time. I am no hero, lol. I have been just trying to get through it and get as many other people through it as I could the same as everyone else, without drowning myself. I am hoping this was a good decision. I took a position with a lousy work schedule that I will struggle with. But I will have some consistency in my work life again.

Who would have thought of all the people stuggling with job insecurity, it would be a nurse with 40 years of experience in the middle of a pandemic. Thank you all for the support you have shown me here.
Last edited by Sue_CT on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bower

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm

@Sue_CT you've been a huge hero to us, and still are. I'm just indignant to hear what you've been through, on top of working the front lines of covid. :shock: :cry: :evil:
temperate marine climate

Sue_CT
Reactions: 916

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:33 pm

That is sweet of you, Bower, but I have not been feeling like a hero for quite some time. I have been feeling a little broken. I am starting to heal. You all have been very supportive. This has actually been a nice diversion and actually a way to clarify things for me and as I wrote them down for all of you, reminded me why I kept going in every day. A kind of therapy to see past the job issues and emotions and focus again on why I was doing what I was doing, if that makes any sense.

peebee
Reactions: 174

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:44 pm

Last time I watched the news here, it said someone died every 8 minutes in LA county. Today, it's every 6 minutes. I think I'll stop watching the news for my sanity :shock:
They will open up Dodger stadium & Disneyland starting tomorrow as vaccine centers. How things will be done, I have no idea, as that announcement was followed by another saying vaccine websites were crashing & phone lines impossible to reach. Both places are way too far for me so I will just hunker down a bit to wait & see.

AlittleSalt
Reactions: 90

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:48 pm

Sue, I believe in you.
Texas Zone 8A

zeuspaul
Reactions: 65

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:57 am

@AlittleSalt it's good to see you posting again. :)

brownrexx
Reactions: 890

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:54 am

I hope that this works out well for you @Sue_CT

AZGardener
Reactions: 299

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:08 am

@Sue_CT I'm sorry for all you've been through. You've been a Godsend to the patients you've cared for during this
horrible crisis.
USDA Zone 9b
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

Bower

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:27 am

@Sue_CT your perspective means a lot to us here. You've been shedding a special light here and helping us all to find our way through this crazy pandemic. It's really hurtful to think of you and other nurses being put through the wringer with employment issues on top of the huge stress of front line care. Again it puts our own economic stresses in perspective. I am so glad to know that you're past the worst and into a more secure situation. Here's hoping that you are appreciated and find a good team at the new job.
temperate marine climate

rxkeith
Reactions: 177

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 am

after working hospital for awhile, i can understand why so many soap operas had hospital settings.
sue,
at the company i worked for that went bankrupt, i had some benefits, even as a half time person.
the company i work for now, doesn't DO benefits for part time people. i had to swallow some pride,
but i realize that i am much better off working where i am at, with two people from my previous job
that i love like family than to be working for walmart or walgreens, two places that are much more
stressful to work at. both places have pharmacist turn over. when job stress is causing physical symptoms,
it is time to find a new job. things will work out the way they should.

covid vaccine has made it to the U.P. some people at work are getting the vaccine thru the health department,
some are choosing not to. my store may be getting the vaccine as early as february.
eyes and ears are wide open keeping up with adverse reactions.
people who get the vaccine need to report any adverse reactions that may occur. it is important to do so with
these new vaccines. past history shows us that only 10% or so of adverse reactions are reported.

keith

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 448

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 pm

The local church is a vaccination centre, a constant stream of people morning, noon and night and so well organised. Here's hoping this starts to produce some results....
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

brownrexx
Reactions: 890

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:41 pm

Amateurinawe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 pm
The local church is a vaccination centre, a constant stream of people morning, noon and night and so well organised. Here's hoping this starts to produce some results....
Not so well organized here.

Return to “Area 51”