How serious is the coronavirus?

Off Topic Area
Growing Coastal
Reactions: 344

Re: How serious is the coronavirus?

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:10 am

Early last week our library was closed until at least May 20th. This morning I'm off to a hospital. Should be interesting...... :shock:

Nan6b
Reactions: 554

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 am

Coastal, are you sick?

pondgardner
Reactions: 375
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 am

@Nan6b I believe @Growing Coastal has a cast to be looked at. Look at the post below...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=823&p=14564#p14564
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 31mm

Sue_CT
Reactions: 386

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 am

We also, have shut down restaurants or allowed them to stay open only if they do take out. I honestly don't know how effective that is. What if the person preparing or handing out your food turns out to positive for the virus? We don't have those answers yet. I guess if you need to grocery shop weekly to survive then you do, but take what precautions you can. Wear gloves, wiped items down with a disinfectant before putting them away and limit your trips as much as possible. Its hard for me to imagine that weekly trips are needed for survival, simply because I have a freezer, some canned tomatoes, and a shelf of canned goods in the basement. Would I miss fresh milk and eggs? Sure. Are they really required for me to survive? No. I guess if you have always lived with no more than a weeks groceries in the house at one time, you might need to because you don't have any stores to fall back on. But please reevalulate your need to expose yourself that often. I care about all of you and I want our entire community to make it through this intact.

Sue_CT

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am

Growing Coastal, please let us know you are OK when you can. We care.

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:03 pm

I am lucky to have 6 hens who lay eggs for me but even if I didn't there is a farm down the road where they have a small refrigerator at the end of the driveway and it contains self serve eggs. No fresh milk available outside of a store but I have a quart that is dated April 9.

I will miss fresh fruit but will not go out to a store again unless absolutely necessary. I have plenty of staples at home as well as canned fruits and home grown pear slices in light syrup in the freezer. I actually just got a pack of them out for dinner tonight.

clara
Reactions: 165

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Update from Germany: We have kind of a "curfew light", all over the republic, but it's not the same everywhere. Stricter in Bavaria than in NRW, the state where I'm living. We can still leave the house for shopping or attending a doc and going to a pharmacy or even doing some sport in fresh air, but ONLY 2 persons together and only if they are family members or living in the same household. Keeping distance to others is a rule (or even a law?), it has to be at least 5 feet, more is better. Restaurants and cafes are closed, but can offer dishes as take away or deliver food to the houses of their customers. The police is controlling if the people really do what they are asked to do. Holy moly, and the fines are heavy! Up to 25000 Euros = $ 25250!

Many more restriction which I can't mention all, but I can live with them and don't feel as if living behind bars.

The government has already decided to help those who really need it - small enterprises, people who actually can't work because their enterprise is shut down, shop owners who had to close their shops due to the restrictions to name a few. The big enterprises will obtain loans under favorable terms. I am really glad that in the past, our ministers of finance did a very responsible job and did not spend more money than they had. The key word was the black "zero", i.e. not spending more money than they got via our taxes. Now there is money to help without producing a high level of national debt (which future generations will have to pay).

BTW, Angela Merkel is under quarantine now after a contact with in infected doc. Her first test was negative, but more will follow.
per aspera ad astra

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 154

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 pm

Amy Klobuchar's husband tested positive, so did Rand Paul. The US Senate does not allow remote voting, so the quarantines are affecting the political balance. The party in power might be determined by the spread of the virus, and it changes on a daily basis.

Bower
Reactions: 646

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm

Well things have changed here very suddenly. Everything closing across the country. One case became nine here this week, and last report, someone tested positive who attended visitations for two people on three days at a local funeral home. So forget the average of giving the virus to two point something people! I can't imagine the number of people with close contact there. There is a wave of people coming back from holidays and we're told to hunker down, and yes, it is "curfew light" with strict rules here too.
I went shopping today because we're about to have another massive snowstorm Tuesday night. Want to make sure my mother doesn't run out of milk or anything she needs, before I am dug out again. And I made a couple of cloth masks for my son and dil, which I took to the post office to mail. One person at a time with the posties, and lay your package down, step back from the counter etc maintaining 6 ft between yourself and anyone else. Then the grocery store - well it was just as you have all described! EMPTY shelves of a lot of basics. No carrots, no cabbage, no onions. One pallet of potatoes with a sign limiting per customer one bag. Signs on milk and eggs! Limit two per customer. No flour, no yeast. Sign about limits. No toilet paper either. Same with the distancing, not many shoppers and lining up with space between. No cash accepted!!!! Asking for cards that tap, everywhere. Honestly, it was traumatic. I don't want to shop again any time soon (or ever! :evil: :evil:)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 154

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Bower wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm
No cash accepted!!!! Asking for cards that tap, everywhere. Honestly, it was traumatic. I don't want to shop again any time soon (or ever! :evil: :evil:)
Why were they not taking cash? I think it is the law here in the US that cash must be accepted, although one never knows how many laws get suspended in a national emergency.

Bower
Reactions: 646

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:21 pm

I guess because cash is something you hand to somebody else. Nobody touches your card, and if you don't need to enter a PIN they eliminate that high touch surface.
Just checked the news, cases went from 9 to 24 in one day. Five new ones not linked to prior cases or explained by travel. All businesses ordered closed except for the list of essentials. No gatherings of more than ten people are permitted. And a postal worker tested positive. Not the PO I went to today, but one in town where everything basically passes through... nothing shipping or being delivered there today. I suppose they will have to quarantine the whole staff there. So much for stuff getting in the mail!

And an update on that - the postal worker attended the wake at the funeral home.
Boy did I pick a bad day to go out. Lockdown is now.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

clara
Reactions: 165

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:44 pm

We are also asked to only use our credit cards to pay.
per aspera ad astra

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 344

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:48 pm

I am really appreciating being able to tap these days. Easy, quick, clean. In thinking about it I realize that I do have some clean cash in my earthquake prep stash.
Stores here are allowing reuseable shopping bags only if the customer packs them now. Plexi screens for cashiers are coming soon, if not already installed.
I am staying home except to walk the dog on the empty streets.
Hi-way traffic was minimal this morning.
It's a different world now.
I keep thinking about the parents who must stay home with their kids. I hope they all appreciate it and grow closer through this time.

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 pm

The last time I went to the grocery store I left my purse in the car and just took a single credit card into the store with me. I used the hand wipes at the door on my hands and also the cart then I picked out what I needed. I scanned and bagged my own groceries at the self serve register and then I used my credit card in the card reader. I re-cleaned my hands and cart handle with another wipe when exiting the store. Cash is dirty and the cashier may have touched cash from I don't know how many people ahead of me so I feel better just using my own credit card that no one else has touched.

I washed my hands with soap and water when I got home both before and after putting my groceries away. I feel like such a germaphobe!

I am not going back to a grocery store for the foreseeable future.

mikestuff49
Reactions: 167

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:29 pm

It looks like Canada is taking a logical approach to the virus. I think this is absolutely mandatory if you want to survive. I just watched the daily briefing from our task force. Dr. Fauci was not in attendance. Our president is talking about opening the country up and abandoning social distancing in much of the country. I foresee a huge number of infections and deaths in the U.S. in the months to come. Pray for us.
The best things in life---are not things.

Sue_CT

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Not sure he can really do that. I mean he can try. But it has been the states that have been shutting things down, not the Federal Gvt. I don't think they can override the states. I hope mine will have better sense.
Last edited by Sue_CT on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlainJane
Reactions: 361

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Unfortunately, mine, so far, has displayed no sense. Sigh. I’m listening to other governors and doing what they say.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

AlittleSalt
Reactions: 71

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Coronavirus seems to be effecting everything.

My DIL won't let our grandchildren go outside nor come visit us. They live way out in the country and so do we. It's because my wife works at Walmart is why the DIL won't let the grandchildren visit us.
Texas Zone 8A

Sue_CT

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:33 pm

That is good, Salt. Unfortunately, that puts her at higher risk, just like my sister who works for a grocery store. I am even higher risk and I have isolated myself from all of them to protect them. People still get sick that live in the country. I hope they all do well. Honestly, kids can also be carriers, so they are a risk to you. This isn't fun, but it is necessary.

Nan6b
Reactions: 554

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 pm

We just got my mother's prescriptions arranged so they can be picked up at a drive-thru. I think we now have it set up so nobody has to go into a store, ever. My mother, DH, & myself are a small self-contained unit that doesn't interact closely with anyone else. My sister is suffering from this, as she doesn't get to see our mother now, but she has contact with the outside world; she works at a food bank, has contact with others who have contact with still others, etc.

Return to “Area 51”