How serious is the coronavirus?

Off Topic Area
NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Re: How serious is the coronavirus?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 am

clara wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:34 pm
I am glad to see a lot of solidarity in Germany in these days. 95% of the Germans agree with what has been ordered from the gvt, only 3% are against it. 2% probably don't know what to think of the rules. Almost everywhere groups have been formed willing to help those who need it without risking to spread the virus.

Although we are probably better equipped as to medical supply than many other countries, the industry is trying to help also. Who in former days sewed underwear is now sewing masks or coats, who produced dust masks is producing medical masks for hospitals (don't ask me about the difference). Our vehicle industry will produce parts of respirators for the hospitals instead of vehicles - who is interested in buying a car just now? Those who have produced hard liquor are now producing disinfectants.

And a bit more of even European solidarity: Several of the German states are taking care of French, Italian and Austrian corona patients as they still have some ICU beds left.
Clara, that is good to hear.

Here in Finland, the authorities decided to open the emergency supplies warehouse to make sure that all healthcare workers have enough masks and other protective gear... For us common citizens, no masks available at any pharmacy.

All our restaurants and bars are officially closed. It is still possible to order food for takeaway, which helps to keep some businesses afloat.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 am

I just heard on the news that some young people are having "Coronavirus Parties".

I also saw a posting on Facebook which said that if this virus affected only the young that our parents and grandparents would do everything possible to protect us.

That is so true. What a difference a generation makes. It's the "me" generation now.

My Dad went to war at age 18 and gave up his liberty to protect ours. He didn't get together with his buddies and have a party.

I know that all young people are not like this but I am appalled at the behavior of some young people and the parents that raised them this way.

Bower
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 am

@Nan6b Canada is not a bit ready for cloth masks. On one hand, they are scrambling to provide the real PPE for health workers and others on the front lines - police, firefighters and first responders. Several firefighters and paramedics have been infected already. They have not expressed any willingness to consider cloth masks to supplement the supply of PPE.
At the same time, they are discouraging ordinary people from wearing any kind of mask unless you are sick. The official guidance is that wearing a mask will give you a false sense of security. :roll: I guess they are afraid that people will be slack about physical distancing and hand washing if they use a mask. Maybe they're right, and it's better for people to get those key measures down and practiced first. But really by disparaging the usefulness of masks in general they have put a taboo on public use of cloth masks.
My son and DIL in Montreal say that the rate of mask wearing in the general public is about one in five. Asian folks have a different ethic about masks. It is considered a civic duty and a sign of respect to others when you wear a mask. In Asia generally it is a common practice to wear a cloth mask. In Canada, unfortunately!!! because of the directive that "only sick people should wear a mask", if you wear a mask people think you are sick. There is a huge stigma attached to that, and people experience racism as well as a result. :evil:
The other endorsed reason for wearing a mask is if you are caring for or in contact with a vulnerable person. That means me, since I have to shop for my mother and provide her needs. She has a few disposable masks that she always has on hand in case of doctor appointments etc. especially flu season. I am not about to use one of her masks or any PPE that nurses need, so I made my own. When I went into the supermarket on Monday, I saw a man with a mask on, so I decided to wear my cloth mask while shopping and test out the fit and comfort etc. You would not believe the savage looks I got from other shoppers. They must have assumed I am sick and a danger to them. :oops: :(
This is one issue where I think public health has made a mistake. If they encouraged ordinary people to use CLOTH masks, save the PPE for nurses, then there would already be a reservoir of masks made and available if PPE runs out, not to mention people who already made them and know how. And they would remove the stigma of wearing masks in public.
You know, they are telling everybody now to "Act as though you have the coronavirus and are trying not to spread it to others". But not everyone can stay at home all the time. Somebody has to do the shopping. Wearing a mask is the responsible thing to do, as is making your own.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 am

Bower, incidentally the same is true for Finland.. some Asian woman was wearing a cloth mask and she was given dirty looks. She shared in a newspaper that Asian coutries consider it a civc duty whenever there is a flu epidemic, but Europe used to think that if you wear a mask, you're already infected and should stay at home.

That was weeks ago. Now, many people would love to get a cloth mask, but cannot find them anywhere...

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 am

I have always known of the mask culture in Asia.
Where have people been, under a rock?
Saw assumingly Chinese folks all the time in the Seattle airport wearing masks and never gave it a second thought.
Regardless of their government they are a very polite and thankful people for the most part.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Bower
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:26 am

@NarnianGarden it's a small project if you sew. There are lots of patterns and tutorials on YouTube. I am not an avid sewer although I have an old machine and certainly learned to sew from the time I was small. I tried out a couple of designs with scraps of material I have around the house. The one I like is (of course) the simplest to sew IMO and get a good fit.

It is more daunting when you start to wonder, how could I make this mask good enough for someone who would be wearing PPE if they could get it - someone working in elder care, or even employees of the supermarket or post office who really are on the front lines and a huge risk to community spread if they do end up with the disease. It should help to prevent community spread for the grocery people to wear masks, fast food servers, etc but only if the mask is properly designed and you do have to know how much protection you're getting. Just thinking about the rationale, you don't want people to feel protected when they're not! But frankly the research has not been done, there's no well designed study that assesses the important variables - what type of cloth, how is it layered etc to better simulate the protection afforded by surgical mask PPE.
Even in the States, the big clothing manufacturers are buying and bringing in the real PPE, because it's not clear what fabric equivalents would apply and they don't have a supply chain for the usual PPE materials. Several are working to design a better cloth mask, what we really need are some proper tests of different types.
temperate marine climate

NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:30 am

Yes Worth, that is exactly where some people have been living.. under a rock.
No idea about other cultures and civilizations.

Maybe the cloth mask will become the ultimate fashion statement of 2020 ..

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:39 am

I heard a sad story on the news yesterday but I don't remember where it took place. A 57 year old man was in a store while wearing a mask and gloves when some 20 something(I think) man mocked him and coughed in his face saying that he had the virus!

The older man was recovering from some kind of surgery but the good news is that the younger man was arrested and charged with making terroristic threats. Yay.

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm

with the mask issue I understand the application. in our case we have one son who has an IGa deficiency. that is his respiratory immunoglobulins... meaning he has a lack or almost none to protect his system. inlaws who live next door in their 90's and we are the care givers AND a daughter who works in a grocery store. She has her own silicone PPE mask. they won't allow her to wear it even knowing the vulnerable people within our family unit. she took the FMLA for 6 weeks instead of accidentally bringing it home.
Last edited by Clkeiper on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bower
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm

So much of what we do is just culture. It's what we do! Doesn't have to make sense. But then you get a reality check like this pandemic, and all of a sudden, it does matter if we make sense or not!!! Or just keep on with attitudes that are crazy.
Radio announcer telling us there are 32 new cases today for a total of 67. 44 cases, that is about 2/3 of the total, are from that one person with covid who went to two people's wakes on three days in a row. !!!! The average spread is 2.2 cases per person. Forty four!!!! That is, so far... still tracing the contacts on that one. Unbelievable.
temperate marine climate

NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 pm

I was one of those people who didn't really take the threat so seriously at first... just take care of the basic hygiene folks, I used to think.
Having lived through many health scares already (I remember SARS, the avian flu, the swine flu.. ) I assumed this too would pass fast...
I still believe the best method is to take care of one's immune system AND hygiene, but now it looks like this virus spreads faster than the pervious ones...

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Electricity just went out.
Creepy considering everything.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:33 pm

The corona virus is a SARS type virus I dont know why they just dont come out and say it.
Traffic was half of what it was yesterday saw more cops on the road.
But as I got out of Austin is was packed for some reason.
No water in hand washing station by porta jons for two days now.
Hand sanitizer out in porta jons.
Got letter in email to show cops if we get stopped showing what we do so we dont get a ticket I guess for being out on the road.
Practiced twirling around like helicopters to make sure no one was in our blade space to maintain 6 foot distance from each other. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love working with these 20 something year old young men. :)
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:07 pm

Please watch this.

Worth

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:41 pm

Wait... did he just say... "we saw this back in 2003?" so its not new?

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Clkeiper wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Wait... did he just say... "we saw this back in 2003?" so its not new?
There are untold billions of these virus contently mutating most hit a dead end and die out.
This one mutated and hit the jackpot with humans.
Yes is is a mutated SARS virus from back then.
Spent most of my life reading about viruses due to the HIV virus.
In my opinion it is all about evolution.
The less complex the organism the more rapid it evolves.
The more complex it is the longer it takes to evolve.
The less complex organism causes the more complex organism to evolve in a manner of speaking.
Just by chance this one hit when the world or at least the US was in the best economy I have seen in my life.
Reminds me of the roaring 20's followed by the great depression of the 30's.
Interesting then as will be now some will stand to make a fortune from it.
Worth

Nan6b
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:26 pm

Saw our trash collectors working without masks today. Saw on the news that the trash collectors in the city proper are refusing to work since they don't even have masks. I decided I can sew well enough to make masks for these folks. I tried to find fabric and elastic; the fabric shops are all closed. Online I went. Amazon had no elastic deliverable before the end of April! Finally found some suitable stuff on Etsy. I wanted to get started tonight, but that's not to be. Sorry, trash collectors.

pondgardner
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Colorado stay at home order issued...effective starting 6am Thursday morning. Good thing I took the wife for a short drive to the mountains for a picnic lunch today.
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 31mm

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 pm

I think that is wonderful that you want to do that @Nan6b but I wonder how masks are beneficial to trash collectors who are not close to other people. I would think that gloves would be more useful since they are touching things from people's houses.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Don't they all wear gloves anyway?

Return to “Area 51”