How serious is the coronavirus?

Off Topic Area
worth1
Reactions: 1073

Re: How serious is the coronavirus?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

According to hard science the infection rate should slow down big time due to heat and humidity.
Be the first time in my long life I have looked forward to hot humid weather.
Whats in store for this fall?
Another outbreak.
In my opinion this summer when it stops spreading so much is when we need to go on the offense and practice distancing and hopefully make this thing (((extinct))).
That is called being proactive not reactive like these ==== have been doing.
Damn idiots couldn't find their butt with both hands in the dark.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

NarnianGarden
Reactions: 34

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Does hot and humid wether slow down the spread of this virus?

Las summer was exceptional hot - and there were unusually many viruses spreading around, especially those causing respiratory infections (I had one... )
While it was not serious or life threatening - lungs were not affected - it sure made me feel miserable. Ceaseless coughing... horrible.
The nurse told me it was going around and the heat wave gave it good breeding ground.

worth1

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm

NarnianGarden wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 pm
Does hot and humid wether slow down the spread of this virus?

Las summer was exceptional hot - and there were unusually many viruses spreading around, especially those causing respiratory infections (I had one... )
While it was not serious or life threatening - lungs were not affected - it sure made me feel miserable. Ceaseless coughing... horrible.
The nurse told me it was going around and the heat wave gave it good breeding ground.
According to this one (virus) it should slow it down.
The humidity will thicken the air and help slow the spread or some such rot and the heat will help.
Like a bullet travels less in hot humid air than cold dry air.
Like when you cough the wee little viruses travel less in thick humid air.
Since the darn things are like microscopic compared to a bacteria the humidity can mean a lot.
Its all about sectional density and ballistic coefficient on an ultra microscopic scale.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Humidity may slow down the spread through the air but it probably won't change how many particles get onto touchable surfaces.

worth1

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Just relaying what some medical doctor said way more educated than me.
But in my own words.
It really depends on the type of virus.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions: 386

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:46 pm

What we are doing is working. At least what WE are doing is working in CT. We shut down pretty early, although I would have like a week earlier. Not enough people are staying home, too many going to Walmart and the grocery stores, ignorant parents are letting kids get together to play basketball and have sleep overs. But a lot less people are at work. All mass gatherings have been prohibited. I see a lot less traffic, although more cars than I think there should be. You know what happend yesterday? They closed my unit in the hospital for lack of patients. The parent company owns many, and locally there are two hospitals, a nursing home and lots of smaller urgent cares, offices, etc. that they own. We are still getting COVID patients but it is increasing slower than feared. The same precautions that have been put in place for COVID have basically ended the flu season, dramatically decreased the number of people with COPD getting pneumonia and the number of asthmatics getting flare ups from respiratory infections. People think twice about coming to the hosptial if they don't have to. Elective surgeries are cancelled. So the number of patients in the Hartford area has DROPPED. That applies to the smaller and the largest 3 hospitals in the area. COVID is becoming a higher percentage of patients. It hasn't gone away. If we let up now, it would be like opening flood gates to COVID infection. But we are slowing the spread and hospitals are keeping up. We have not nearly peaked. But if we can keep the spread at a managable rate, we can save a lot of lives. I have heard that once 40% of a population has been exposed and are asymptomatic or exposed and recovered, we will be over the hump. Because with exposure comes risk, but also a good deal of immunity. There seem to have been some rare cases where people were not immune, but I have no idea if it is because they have immune deficiencies or other issues that make them the exception. Once 40% are immune, that 40% will no longer pass it along to others. There will be more time to work on treatments, vaccines, and for the ones that still get it, enough ventilators.

They will likely reopen my unit over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I am working at our "sister" hospital owned by the same company. Plans change like the wind in the current environment, of course, but the current plan is when they need to reopen my unit, we will be the "clean" hospital where they send people who don't have COVID. We are the smaller hospital, with fewer beds and fewer ICU beds, so that will leave the majority of beds where they are needed.

All I can say is, even if you are not being forced to, STAY HOME. Make as few grocery trips as possible and get as many items as you can in one trip to keep a pantry of staples going and a stocked freezer. Practice social distancing. WASH hands as soon as you get home from anywhere. Try not to judge people who are at the grocery stores. Some of them just aren't very smart. But some live with so little money they cannot afford to stock up, and can barely buy enough food for one week. Buying a months worth of food at one time is not an option. If they are a family of 5 with 3 teenage kids with adult appetites, they may not have refrigerator and freezer space to STORE that much food, lol.

And please keep posting, because that lets me know that you are all OK. :)

brownrexx

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:55 pm

I am running low on a few supplies but will not go to a grocery store again until we need another loaf of bread. I may not even go to a grocery store then, I may pick up bread at a convenience store where there are not as many shoppers.

Sue_CT
Reactions: 386

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Or have someone drop it off, or make bread. I was rationing eggs, not because I was out, I had two dozen and was down to 1 dozen. But my brother was going to the store to get some things for himself and he picked up things for Mom and I, and dropped them on the doorsteps. My sister works in a grocery store and she picked up some things for me since she had to be there anyway. She also picked up things for Mom and left it all at Mom's. When Mom wants to get out for a few minutes she will drop stuff on my doorstep that my sister left for me at her house. 4 Households taken care of and only one person went into a store that didn't already work there. Had I run out of eggs, I would not have gone to the store for that. I have milk and cereal, frozen waffles and other things I can eat for breakfast. I am reassessing "want" vs. "need". I can't control what anyone else does but I can try to make sure I am not part of the problem. :)

Clkeiper
Reactions: 156

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:22 pm

I found out today my nephew who lives in NYC did have the corona virus. other than that no one I know has been diagnosed.
I did need some strawberry plants so we did go out today. there was hardly anyone out and about down in Amish country. more buggies than cars I think today. Since the bent and dent was open and there was only one car there. I haven't seen it so well stocked in ages. That in and of itself tells me people are staying home.
and I meant to say... hospitals here are pretty much in the same boat as Sue's. My husband is an excavator and he has a house he started working on this Winter (quoting) and the two people who are building this house are ER nurses or at least he works in the Er. Both of them were sent home at noon on day becasue there were no patients in there. I have a friend who has a private practice and one day he had a total of 4 patients.

brownrexx

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:30 pm

@Sue_CT the last time I grocery shopped I planned to buy yeast in case I wanted to make my own bread but they were sold out of yeast!

I am lucky with eggs because I have 6 hens. Some are older but I get 2-3 eggs per day which keeps us supplied.

rxkeith
Reactions: 65

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm

michigan has been shut down by the guvnor until april 13th.
only essential businesses running.
business as usual at the drug store with enhanced cleaning procedures in place.
the number of corona cases state wide have been increasing, mostly in wayne, oakland counties, but
in other counties as well. maybe nine people have died.
currently no confirmed cases in my neck of the woods, we are so far away from the world
but many people are concerned, and have been stocking up.
the drug store is out of hand sanitizer, alcohol, thermometers, sani wipes,aloe vera gel.
toilet paper is in stock.
i told a customer i know pretty well that you can always use vodka.
he said, yeah, i suppose you can make up a sanitizing solution with that.
i replied, no, no, you drink the vodka. then you don't care about anything.

keith

Nan6b
Reactions: 554

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:53 pm

rxkeith wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm
...the drug store is out of hand sanitizer...
i told a customer i know pretty well that you can always use vodka.
he said, yeah, i suppose you can make up a sanitizing solution with that.
i replied, no, no, you drink the vodka. then you don't care about anything.

keith
My sister needed to use hand sanitizer today and there was none at the store, so she bought mouthwash & used it on her hands - it says it kills germs :lol:

AlittleSalt
Reactions: 71

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 pm

rxkeith, A little bit of levity isn't a bad thing - as long as we all take this pandemic seriously.
Texas Zone 8A

MissS
Reactions: 838

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 pm

The U.S. is the new epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.

The U.S. now has at least 82,174 COVID-19 cases, more than any other country in the world, according to a Live Science report. Nearly half of all U.S. coronavirus cases are in New York state.

As the coronavirus sweeps through the U.S., the country faces a shortage of ventilators. It's possible to use a single ventilator between 4 patients as a temporary fix, but it could be disastrous, according to a Live Science report.

The number of COVID-19 cases in Italy is still rising, but the day-to-day rise is slowing down, according to The Washington Post. Still, experts warn that if the nation loosens its measures to contain and mitigate the virus, cases will shoot right back up again.

Coronavirus could be catastrophic for great apes, experts warned. Great-ape tourism should be suspended and field research should be reduced, they said, according to a Live Science report.
Enjoy the Day!
~ Patti ~

brownrexx

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:31 am

[/quote]
My sister needed to use hand sanitizer today and there was none at the store, so she bought mouthwash & used it on her hands - it says it kills germs :lol:
[/quote]

It does kill bacteria but not the coronavirus. Mouthwash only contains about 26% alcohol and 70% alcohol is recommended to kill it.

My friend works for a company that makes Listerine and they are working overtime to crank out mouthwash because a lot of people must believe this.

I just Googled hand sanitizer and the CDC says that it should contain 60-95% alcohol.

worth1

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 am

Go to home depot and buy a can of ethanol if they have any
Worth

NarnianGarden
Reactions: 34

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:59 am

Our government is working on the legal red tape to get the Southern Finland area called Uusimaa separated and closed down. They have the largest number of infections so far, and we do not need any holiday travellers to spread the virus to the rest of the country...

If we were in North Korea, all these measures were easy to implement - only one word from 'The Leader', but in a democracy, all the legal groundwork has to be completed first...
(and no, I am not a fan of North Korea..)

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 154

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm

The amount and time of immunity that one gets after being infected is, I think, the biggest variable at play here.

Some wuhan residents are testing positive a second time, which could be for a number of reasons.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... n-positive

brownrexx

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:25 pm

The PA governor just issued a stay-at-home order for my county starting at 8 pm tonight. This means no leaving home except to obtain food, medical care or go to work. We can go outside for exercise as long as we maintain social distancing.

PA has been adding over 500 cases of Covid-19 every day for the last 3 days.

Return to “Area 51”