How serious is the coronavirus?

Off Topic Area
Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

How serious is the coronavirus?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:08 pm

This is leaked video from China we don't see on the news.

Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

peebee
Reactions:

Re: How serious is the coronavirus?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:48 pm

This virus has affected me personally, in that I've had to cancel all plans to travel to Japan as usual in the spring. When you're closer to the source it's serious. Japan is a very popular destination for Chinese travelers so they are very nervous. Before the virus was taken seriously in China, over 5 million from ground zero had already left for Chinese New Year to parts unknown. Think about that number for a minute. Think about how air travel can affect the world in an instant. The news out of Japan is that a person can be contagious for up to 2 weeks. It's already been diagnosed in some there, who have been in contact with Chinese tourists, most notably a tour bus driver & his female assistant.
Friends & family have reported all face masks are gone from store shelves & have advised me not to come. If the Olympics have to be cancelled this summer it will be an economic disaster.
It's just a wait & see situation now really. A scramble for a vaccine.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 pm

This virus is extremely dangerous due to the fact that we have not been exposed to it before. Therefore we have no antibodies to help ward it off. I have heard that it is a flu and causes flu-like symptoms. The Bird flu and the Swine flu were our last epidemics and were devastating. The last epidemic was the Swine flu which really hit our young people. My daughter was one of them. I had never seen her so very sick. I am not one to rush to the doctors office for every little illness, but this was awful. I took her and the waiting room was full of sick lethargic children. There was one mom with an infant there for a wellness check. I told her to leave ASAP. Who would want their baby in that place of illness? I went to the school to pick up homework and there were only about 150 kids in the entire school. The place was empty.

The biggest concern is said to be the respiratory infections as a result of the flu. I causes pneumonia which is quite dangerous to have. This is the first time that the USA has had a quarantine in the past 50 years. To me, that says something!
Enjoy the Day!
~ Patti ~

Bower
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:05 pm

What I have heard through the news here:
- masks are not much use to prevent it
- transmission is mainly airborne, people who've gotten it were within 2 meters of infected person (about 6 ft away)
- a person with no symptoms can still transmit the virus
- incubation time is up to 14 days
All of that adds up to, it is not an easy virus to contain. Pretty contagious.

The better side of the news is that the fatality rate is pretty low (no worse than influenza - but who needs an extra flu?)
Also heard that elderly and especially those with other health conditions are at highest risk of a serious case.
The report said that children who tested positive had no symptoms. So it seems to go light on them.
A lot of cases are no worse than any other cold or flu.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Bower
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Here is a link about the low rate of infection in children:
https://time.com/5774516/coronavirus-kids/
Nice comment at the end:
"...routine behaviors can help keep populations healthy, regardless of the disease in question. “Good hand-washing helps. Staying healthy and eating healthy will also help,” she says. “The things we take for granted actually do work. It doesn’t matter what the virus is. The routine things work.”
So stay healthy, eat healthy!
temperate marine climate

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:40 pm

Flu death rate = 0.5%. Coronavirus death rate= 2.1%.

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:53 pm

I would wear a mask no matter what, as an extra precaution while using public transport in Asia. Sometimes you're packed in like sardines & who can say that air inside is healthy. In Japan masks are always worn when you are sick to prevent spreading your illness not the other way around although when it's winter they are commonly worn as a precaution.
What is scary with this new virus is you show no symptoms while you're contagious before you are actively sick. Also it is not a custom to cover your nose/mouth while sneezing, I've noticed. On a positive note, at least it's not a custom to shake hands or hug while greeting unless it's with someone from the West. It wasn't pleasant last year waiting in the long snaking lines at the airport during the cold season. People were coughing & sneezing openly, no covered mouths. :(

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:13 pm

As a person who used to be in the medical field and that does NOT make me any sort of expert, I think it is serious enough. Not panic serious, but caution and good sense serious. Wash your hands properly, do NOT touch your face, mouth, nose or eyes before washing your hands. And yes, I ordered simple face masks. A cough cloud of air droplets can hang in the air for quite awhile.

The current thoughts on this virus ( per the CDC and WHO) is that you can be contagious for up to 2 weeks without showing any symptoms, thus exposing a lot of people. It is now found that it is transferring person to person, probably by air droplets, so a mask can help, but do not touch the outside of the mask especially if you can avoid it and wash your hands and clean surfaces frequently. Keep hand sanitizer to use when out, after touching handles and such.Clean hard surfaces with a 1 part household bleach to 9 parts water, that kills almost all virus'. Don't get up into anyone else's face and stay back when talking a bit more. Cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze, dispose of tissues properly. Elderly, young children and those with a compromised immune system are at the most risk if ill.

I have read the DOD has areas set aside on 4 bases for quarantine use, the HHS will be providing any care needed, not the DOD. I find that of concern. There are now 8 officially reported cases in the USA, pretty much across the country. This is the first quarantine declared in 50 years in this country, so yea, I do think it is serious and am watching and listening both to what is reported and what is "between the lines" or in jargon.

So, yes, serious, take reasonable safe guards as to your health and limitations, pay attention, and WASH your HANDS.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:24 pm

I just got back home from doing my errands. The priority item on my list was surgical face masks. There were none to be found. Every pharmacy was out as well as Target, Walmart and Costco. You can order them on line from any of those and Amazon but the delivery date is now in March. Disposable gloves are easy to find still. The price on Amazon is skyrocketing.
Enjoy the Day!
~ Patti ~

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:13 pm

MissS wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:24 pm
I just got back home from doing my errands. The priority item on my list was surgical face masks. There were none to be found. Every pharmacy was out as well as Target, Walmart and Costco. You can order them on line from any of those and Amazon but the delivery date is now in March. Disposable gloves are easy to find still. The price on Amazon is skyrocketing.
You can pretty much bet that they are being bought for use in China esp. Years ago when the SARs outbreak first hit I was working at a company that purchased parts from China. Our contact there asked us to buy & send as many masks as we could for his friends & family. China didn't use masks then so they were hard to find. Well our package never made it to him. He said it was likely discovered at customs & stolen for sale on the black market. Next time we didn't write masks on the declaration form & he got them.
Besides using masks & hand washing, it is common to gargle with salt water after coming home, in Japan at least. Some even do the Neti pots in their nose. Hygiene is of upmost importance nowadays.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:44 pm

The virus is selfsustainingly infectious, and so far has a much higher mortality (1-3%, still uncertain) than flu (normally less than 0.02%). There is no vaccine or antiviral drug. Any vaccine in development is months (if not years) away. It's unlikely it can be stopped from becoming a global pandemic, especially since it's contagious before any symptoms. This was proven by the German cases, where an asymptomatic person from China, who developed symptoms only on the flight back home, infected a German person, who then infected other people, one of whom then traveled to Spain.

Good news is that it seems that the mortality rate is falling.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7
Elevation: 140 m

Bower
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Gargling with salt water when you come home is a nice idea, that should kill anything that landed in the mouth and throat.
Personally I have eucalyptus oil as a staple of my flu season kit. It doesn't kill all viruses but it is anti-inflammatory and will kill at least some airborne things that you've breathed in. Cinnamon oil was found in some research to be active against influenza virus, so I have bought some of that as well. When I come home from being exposed (presumably) I put some eucalyptus and cinnamon oil on a tissue, and just sit for about five minutes breathing it in. This worked for me the swine flu year, when vaccine arrived late here and I had a major sales event to attend with pretty much 100% certain exposure at some level - I never got it.
If I do get a flu, I put the same oil on a tissue next to me when I go to sleep. You wake up in the morning breathing clear. I wouldn't know how to deal with flu without it.
Vitamin C is another thing I use for flu. 1000 mg (not less) will act as an antihistamine, basically stop your nose running for awhile. When I get sick I take it by the 1000 every 4 hours or so. It works for me and is less noxious than OTC meds for the same purpose.
temperate marine climate

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Vitamin C has been disproven in a clinical study as a remedy for treating or preventing flu and common cold. A minimal shortening of the duration of flue and cold was seen, but only in people who work in very physically demanding occupations (loggers). Pro preventative role was seen.

Micronutrients that are helpful for the immune system, and often lacking, are vitamin D, zinc, and selenium.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Dust masks aren't going to help much against an airborne virus. I keep some for outside work, when mowing in heavy pollinated times, and some in my workshop, but masks only filter a percentage of the air. Despite a dust collection system, doing things like heavy sanding or wood turning can cover me in a cloud of dust. So I got a positive pressure facemask - something with a HEPA filter attached to my waist, that I use when I really need it. I doubt that they would allow that on a plane, but if I would wear it in many of those other heavy populated areas! I'm really surprised I haven't seen anyone wearing something similar, in all this media coverage!
Woodbury, NJ zone 6B-7

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:41 am

The world economy is being effected big time.
China accusing the US of over reacting.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

arnorrian
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 am

Facemasks are not recommended for use by healthy members of the public. A facemask will not protect you against becoming infected."

However, it does recommend you wear a face mask if you are sick to protect others.
https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics ... -2019-ncov

OneoftheEarls
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 am

so how long has Coronavirus been on the Lysol can? If it's been awhile I suspect with all the millions of flights almost everywhere that indeed many of us have been exposed.
Last edited by OneoftheEarls on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bower
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 am

Thailand is having success with a treatment involving multiple antiviral drugs.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/thailand- ... -1.4794001
temperate marine climate

brownrexx
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:55 am

Viruses are incredibly small and can pass right through the pores of a mask however the masks can prevent sick people from coughing or sneezing droplets containing the virus out into the air.

If lots of people are wearing masks maybe some of the sick people, who would not otherwise wear them, will also be wearing them. I hope so.

Bower
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:07 am

arnorrian wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 pm
Vitamin C has been disproven in a clinical study as a remedy for treating or preventing flu and common cold. A minimal shortening of the duration of flue and cold was seen, but only in people who work in very physically demanding occupations (loggers). Pro preventative role was seen.

Micronutrients that are helpful for the immune system, and often lacking, are vitamin D, zinc, and selenium.
It's possible zinc has a preventive ability, IDK, but vitamin C and zinc have both been validated in numerous trials, as a treatment to shorten the duration of flu or cold. I'm sure you get variation in studies as to the level of results, because they use different dosages. I never use less than 1000 mg at a time, because 500 mg doesn't work for me. I don't use it for prevention either, only to treat an infection I already have and reduce the misery.
I went to the NLM to see if I was wrong, but afaict it makes perfect sense.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16373990
Immune-enhancing role of vitamin C and zinc and effect on clinical conditions.
"Vitamin C concentrations in the plasma and leukocytes rapidly decline during infections and stress. Supplementation of vitamin C was found to improve components of the human immune system such as antimicrobial and natural killer cell activities...etc" "Likewise, zinc undernutrition or deficiency was shown to impair cellular mediators of innate immunity..."
"A large number of randomized controlled intervention trials with intakes of up to 1 g of vitamin C and up to 30 mg of zinc are available. These trials document that adequate intakes of vitamin C and zinc ameliorate symptoms and shorten the duration of respiratory tract infections including the common cold. Furthermore, vitamin C and zinc reduce the incidence and improve the outcome of pneumonia, malaria, and diarrhea infections, especially in children in developing countries."

So the next time I get the flu, I'll take some zinc as well! :)
temperate marine climate

Return to “Area 51”