How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
pondgardner
Reactions: 522
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:04 pm

@brownrexx If I had a co-pay and a discount was offered by paying up front, I would do exactly as you did.
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 311mm

Sue_CT
Reactions: 627

Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:34 pm

I believe it is federally mandated that insurance companies pay for COVID testing, and I don't think you are required to have any copay for it. It was part of the CARES package passed that also included the extra money for unemployment. The problem is too many people don't know and bad places are trying to get away with it. They had something about it on the news, and when confronted, the place charging backed off and called it an "error". Also, even if that no longer applied, if you look at your bills you will usually see a "billed amount" and a discounted amount that they have agreed to accept from insurance companies and Medicare. There is a huge difference. They can bill anything they want, but they only get what they have previously negotiated from those places and you NEVER have to pay the differenc.

"Requires group health plans, health insurance carriers, and Medicare to cover COVID-19 testing and vaccination."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARES_Act

pondgardner

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 pm

@Sue_CT Thanks for the information. My first thought after talking with my wife was that someone had gotten information about her upcoming test and was trying to scam her into some sort of payment. I am going to follow up with the hospital tomorrow to find out just what is going on.
George
Zone 6b

worth1
Reactions: 1714

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:18 pm

How on earth do these people get this information to even try to scam.
Maybe its Google tracking them on their phones then giving out information.
I worked at a giant truck tire shop putting in a security system and got an email asking me how I liked my experience at the tire shop.
All I did was look up the address.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 272

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 pm

worth1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:18 pm
How on earth do these people get this information to even try to scam.
Maybe its Google tracking them on their phones then giving out information.
I worked at a giant truck tire shop putting in a security system and got an email asking me how I liked my experience at the tire shop.
All I did was look up the address.
If your gps is turned on, then you are subject to what is called geofencing. Just by physically being in a store, they know you went there and sell that data to marketing companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo-fence

There are a few ways to block it besides the gps. It is actually a setting that can be turned off in android, but of course they make it hard to do.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/8-ways-to- ... acking-you

karstopography
Reactions: 544

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Oh no, just talk about or possibly maybe look up on your phone or pad some random subject, all in the privacy of your home, and then get bombared with advertisements, on a number of social media sites, concerning the very subject just discussed. Alexa is certainly listening and Facebook knows your every move.

It’s kinda of creepy, really. I can do my own freaking searches for whatever it is I might want to purchase. I don’t need the algorithms at Amazon or Facebook “helping” me out.

I’m off Facebook for years now, but the wife isn’t. I’d wean myself off Amazon, but it’s pretty dad gum handy.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

worth1

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm

I got locked out of Facebook before I ever posted anything. :lol:
Worth

Sue_CT

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 pm

If you don't want anyone know you can also do "incognito" searches. Doesn't bother me enough. Neither does the cell phone tracking. It has its pros and cons. If I am ever missing and in trouble, in a car accident down a ravine, etc. they can also find me that way. As long as my battery lasts.

worth1

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:38 am

Texas workforce commission over pays millions to recipients.
The debt never goes away.
They say call.
Can't get connected.
What a nightmare.
Some recipients never even received anything.
Lots of luck getting the money back form people that can't hardly make ends meet as it is.
The TWC is a total joke.
Benefits running out and they keep dragging this out with no end in sight.
I don't know what I would do if I were in the situation some people are in.
Many people have pride and want to work.
Not everyone is like the few they talk about on the news that say they make more money not working.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions: 654

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:57 am

There are tons of jobs available where I live. Now Hiring signs are in front of almost every business.

It may not be everyone's dream job but it would pay the bills for now.

Sue_CT

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 pm

pondgardner wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 pm
@Sue_CT Thanks for the information. My first thought after talking with my wife was that someone had gotten information about her upcoming test and was trying to scam her into some sort of payment. I am going to follow up with the hospital tomorrow to find out just what is going on.
Did you get any information on what happened with the hospital bill? It is good to share if you don't mind, in case anyone else gets charged for COVID testing, and in case anything has changed.

pondgardner

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 pm

@Sue_CTI haven't yet, but I am taking my wife for surgery in the morning, so I will have some time to talk in person with someone at that hospital.
George
Zone 6b

brownrexx

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:28 am

I just happened to see my bill for the Covid test required before my cataract surgery. The hospital billed $243, United Healthcare Medicare Advantage plan paid $123.83 and I paid 0.

My cataract surgery (one eye only) cost me a total of $145.36.

I have no complaints about my Medicare Advantage coverage.

karstopography
Reactions: 544

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 am

Europe having another surge underway. France and Spain now topping the USA in the daily new cases per million department and new case numbers are on the rise in much of the rest of Europe.

One mysterious feature of this virus is the very brief time people evidently remain somewhat or mostly immune after an initial infection. Doesn’t that pose a problem for a vaccine since don’t many vaccines rely on creating antibodies to diseases mirroring what happens in the actual infection? If the actual infection only confers a limited period of immunity, a few months, then how is a vaccine going to do any better?

Then there’s the segment of the population, evidently mainly centered in SE and East Asia that has the T cell immunity from exposure to very similar coronaviruses. If this is true, are the vaccine efforts exploiting that angle. If T cell immunity can be naturally induced in a population from simple exposure to a similar, less harmful virus, then why not base a vaccine on that idea? Maybe they are, just haven’t seen much on it.

Are we going, should a safe vaccine someday get developed, to have to get a shot every 4 or six months just to stay impervious to the Covid virus? Or will the vaccine use the T cell approach? What do you know or what have you read?

I haven’t seen much of anything written about the rather unique features of this virus. Seems like there would be a big effort to understand and know more about all the RNA and code of the virus, the origins, the unique pathologies, the ways the virus is different than other coronaviruses. Where is the science on this? Anyone have any articles to share? We know it is different, but why and how?
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

worth1

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:57 am

As long as there is at least one person on the loose with this stuff it will continue to ebb and flow like a tide.
Had a meeting today and again some idiot sat down in between my co worker and I.
I told the guy to put a mask on and he got up and got a mask.
Every time I caught him without it I said put your mask on.
He is around 22 years old.
I had coffee and when I wanted a drink I would pull it down drink and put it back up.
I have no idea if the mask does any good or not but you cant come up with a scientific answer when people are not following the rules to see if it works like in a controlled experiment with a control group.
The row in front of us everyone was right next to each other.
Worth

brownrexx

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:12 am

I have not seen any information on how long a vaccine might confer immunity, probably because they just don't know yet. I have only seen that 2 doses will likely be required.

T and B cells are types of white blood cells. Both T and B cells are part of the immune system that is considered to be adaptive. In other words they react to substances that they have been exposed to and they have a memory for those substances. B cells produce antibodies and T cells kill invaders.

Since all vaccines are tying to induce an immune response, this includes the T cells. They just do not talk about this specifically because it is a normal function of the immune system. It is nothing new.

T cells are always at work in an immune response, they just work faster when they have encountered the invader previously and that is what a vaccine is doing - introducing your immune system to a partial or killed pathogen so that you can mount an immune response before you encounter the real pathogen.

Two of the top vaccines contain a segment of mRNA from the Coronavirus and another one uses a segment of viral protein attached to a weakened adenovirus which is the virus that causes the common cold.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 272

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:43 am

I had never heard of "long covid." The poor guy who wrote the blog below has been sick for months.

(Web site wont let me link directly but this should take you there:)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... xvLppcq30z

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 71

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Yes I've heard of a numbers of adverse cases where they are debilitated for months but contrast that with the majority, such as the young who shake it off easily
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

brownrexx

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:35 pm

This is one of the reasons that I do not understand why some people refuse to wear masks and think that Covid is no worse than the flu. I guess that they don't believe that it will happen to them.

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 71

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:40 pm

I guess they got no conscience they might be spreading it and therefore part of the problem. Looks like uk considering a second short sharp selective lockdown, but keep the kids in school. R factor 1.1 to 1.4
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “Area 51”