How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
Sue_CT
Reactions: 388

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Thu May 14, 2020 12:59 pm

You are correct, mikestuff49. There is still a lack of available tests, some of the available tests are not very accurate, like only 50-70% accurate. And there is little push to get the testing done from the top. The President made a comment I saw on the news that "all this testing just makes us look bad." Unfortunately, the virus is now in the White House, and fortunately many local Govenors don't agree and are trying to increase testing locally. So availability of testing is going to depend on where you live to some extent. It is so frustrating that medical testing for a disease has actually become a political issue. I am hoping that the unfortunate situation of it being in the White House, and the use of frequent testing of everyone there because of that, daily now I believe if the news is correct, will change minds and there will be a bigger federal push to make testing more widely available as well as a push for transparency in how accurate those tests are.

MissS
Reactions: 843

Thu May 14, 2020 1:07 pm

mikestuff49 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:12 pm
A company in my area was open for business (They print labels for all kinds of products.) They were able to observe distance and wore masks. An employee called in sick with a fever. He was told to be tested for Covid before he returned to work. He went to his doctor and could not get the test because he did not display enough symptoms to meet the criteria. He could have gone to a private clinic to get the test, but that would have cost him several hundred dollars. The company appealed to the local news station because they have an investigative reporter who looks into community problems. They contacted the local hospital and health service and were told that unless the individual displays enough symptoms to meet the criteria, they would not be tested.

I think the lack of testing availability in our area is the reason for the low number of cases. Ours is a tourist town where people from everywhere come and go regularly. I'm afraid that this will blow up sooner or later.
We have the same situation here in Wisconsin, unless you have one foot in the grave you don't get tested. The lack of tests in this country has been a huge problem from the get go. Our government complained so loud that China was not releasing the true numbers, well are we not doing the same thing? If we can't test, then we can't report our true numbers. I don't understand this at all. America is supposed to be the strongest country in the world, yet we are at the bottom of the list when it comes to dealing with tests and supplies for covid-19.
Enjoy the Day!
~ Patti ~

Clkeiper
Reactions: 156

Thu May 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Shocking! Not. There are many of us who are too sick for it to be normal but not sick enough to get a test. I have been sick since December. And many people I know have very similar symptoms. I went for a chest x-ray yesterday... I sound like a broken dying accordion at nighttime with a nest of squeaking chirping birds thrown in. I keep my husband up and it wakes me up. I have taken 3 courses of antibiotics, Prednisone 2x and have an inhaler. I cough and cough and cough. ... Yet not sick enough to warrant a test. There is no way on gods flat green earth that the positive numbers of covid are even close to accurate. We are in only seeing the sickest of the sick most with underlying health issues already getting a test.

Bower
Reactions: 648

Thu May 14, 2020 2:40 pm

A study in France and Spain has determined that only 4-5% of the population have been infected. This is well below the necessary percentage (50% or more) to have developed any 'herd immunity' in spite of the severity of outbreaks there and large number of deaths. Even in the most severely affected regions of France, the rate of infection was not more than 10%. The take away is that a vaccine will be necessary to accompish herd immunity, and that without it, effective measures to reduce the rate of spread will have to remain in place to prevent a "second wave".

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN22Q0RM
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions: 1080

Thu May 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Well we are going to get a second wave, in my opinion there may never be a vaccine.
Or at least prepare yourselves for it and not live on false hope like people did with that ridiculous story about Prester John coming to save the day.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Sue_CT

Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 pm

We may not ever have a vaccine, but I hope we do. Even if we do, it might not be a one time thing. It could be a yearly thing as the virus mutates, like th the flu. If that happened it would be great if it could be combined with the flu vaccine. If there is never any vaccine, we better hope there is some good immunity from getting it or being exposed to it.

worth1

Thu May 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Sue_CT wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 pm
We may not ever have a vaccine, but I hope we do. Even if we do, it might not be a one time thing. It could be a yearly thing as the virus mutates, like th the flu. If that happened it would be great if it could be combined with the flu vaccine. If there is never any vaccine, we better hope there is some good immunity from getting it or being exposed to it.
So true, remember we fought the American war of independence while smallpox was going around.
That critter makes the corona virus look like nothing.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Fri May 15, 2020 7:27 am

I fully believe that there will be a vaccine developed. There has been lots of promising work done already but even with the best case scenario, we will still have a long time to deal with this so we need to continue to be be careful. It is not going to be over in the next couple of months no matter how long we stay locked down. The virus is not going to disappear.

Corona virus is not the same as the flu virus and I don't have any links to attach but I read things all of the time and I have read that scientists do not think that it will mutate as readily as the flu. It is a different type of virus. We don't need multiple vaccines for many viruses and we have some vaccines like the pneumonia one that is effective for 10 years so don't assume that you will need a yearly vaccine for corona virus. No one knows yet, but I would not make that assumption.

Sue_CT

Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm

I did not make that assuption, I am hoping that is not the case. But other Corona viruses have been elusive when it comes to a vaccine, so neither do I count my chickens before they hatch. I would call my attitude "cautiously optomistic". I hope you are not thinking you need to tell me that it is not the same as the flu, lol. I have been singing that song since all this started. Fortunately I no longer hear as many people brushing it off that way as I did early on. I have never thought it was like the flu. But since there are people who have been infected more than once, there is a good chance a single vaccination will not give lasting immunity. I hope they do find a way to do that with a single shot. IF they need a series of shots, or if immunity does not last then yes you might have to have it on a regular basis or at least a series of them. The vaccine for pneumonia, like many vaccines, are against bacteria, not viruses. The pneumonia vaccine only protects against certain bacterial pneumonias in a particular group of bacteria called pneumococcal bacteria, and does not protect against viral pneumonia. There are some vaccines against viruses and some give very long term immunity, like the polio vaccine, but some do not. They have yet to develop a vaccine against any Corona Virus. I also don't think there has ever been such a world wide push to develop one as there is now, though, so I hope that makes the difference. Saying that if repeated vaccinations were needed it would be great if they could combine them because we have been pretty successful in getting that widely distributed, IN NO MEANS I THINK THE CARONA VIRUS is a flu virus. I just wanted to clarify that.

I also thought this was interesting regarding the different Corona Viruses:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-strains#2

worth1

Fri May 15, 2020 5:06 pm

@Sue_CT
That is why I said what I said.
I'm not a doctor or nurse but if you know me well enough I am a man of many interests.
So it is very hard for people to pull the wool over my eyes.
As bad as it may seem this thing will either play out or people will get used to it and live life as best they can.
Might be something they read about in history books or what ever they read 300 years from now.
And I am sure they will be shaking their heads at the stupidity and or ignorance of us.
That's the hard part of living in the moment and that is what we are doing.
I don't want this to happen but I am mentally prepared for it if it does because I am a realist.
Worth

brownrexx

Fri May 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Maybe pneumonia vaccine was a bad example of a long lasting vaccine since it treats bacterial pneumonia. How about measles, mumps, chicken pox, shingles or smallpox? All of those vaccines provide long lasting immunity against viruses.

My point being that not all viruses are the same and just because one mutates, it does not mean that another will at the same rate.

Here is some interesting reading on mutation of SARS-CoV-2

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... d-covid-19

Sue_CT

Fri May 15, 2020 8:49 pm

Do you even realize I agreed with you, lol? I gave you the example of the Polio vaccine, which is viral. Not sure what your disagreement is here. Nor did I say ANYWHERE that all viruses are the same, or that there are no long lasting viral vaccines. Again, see Polio.

brownrexx

Fri May 15, 2020 9:01 pm

No disagreement. Just providing some additional information for anyone who is interested.

Bower

Fri May 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Digressing back to the first aid and home self-care front, I recently read an article complaining that Chinese Traditional medicine was being promoted and shared with afflicted nations (Italy), based upon treatments that were reported to help but of course not substantiated by double blind clinical trials.

I checked out the meds that were being reported to help, they are all combinations of many herbs, but the first one mentioned that it contained Japanese Honeysuckle, which I have used to treat other pneumonias and found it very effective. So this is something I would go to if I had symptoms or a mild case (so called) which you are trying to live through at home.
JH is a pretty awesome herb, which I have used as a first aid for all kinds of infections of the mouth, gums or upper respiratory tract. I simply take fresh leaf and stem, and immerse in 40% alcohol for a couple of weeks to make a tincture or 'elixir'. The active constituents are iridoids and triterpenes which are soluble in 40% alcohol ie your basic over the counter vodka or other liquor. So this is a practical and easy way to make a first aid treatment that keeps well and has some scientific basis for containing active ingredients that may work. I also did a search recently which confirmed that Japanese Honeysuckle is an IL-6 inhibitor, and that is good news for a covid infection too.
This is one of the most useful medicines I have in my first aid kit and I recommend it to anyone dealing with respiratory infection at home. I do not have any side effects at all from the medicine, ymmv as this may depend on genetics however there is nothing outright toxic in the plant so it is basically safe.
The major caution would be to ensure that the plant is really Lonicera japonica and not some other honeysuckle, as the others are toxic. Plant mistake could be a game changer. One reason I decided to grow and try this plant is that the flower tincture was considered safe for infants ie a vary safe class of herbal medicines. I have always sought very safe home meds/first aid which have no toxic potential, so that they can only - possibly - help, and not harm you. That being said, as noted there is a genetic component of plant suitability for a person, so any medicine that disagrees with you should not be repeated. I only use this because it tastes good to me and doesn't have side effects and it works. I have also made flower tincture from it which is very mild and sweet but for me it was not as effective as the leaf and stem.

I understand that L. japonica is considered a noxious weed in the states, so it may be widely available if you can find a place where it hasn't been attacked with herbicides or other poisons that made it unfit for consumption. Just thought I should mention this, in case it is helpful to anyone.
temperate marine climate

Labradors
Reactions: 87

Sat May 16, 2020 8:01 am

That was most interesting Bower! We have invasive honeysuckle growing everywhere, but apparently, it's the wrong invasive honeysuckle. Now I shall have to buy some!

Linda

Bower

Sat May 16, 2020 9:06 am

Linda, I grew mine from seeds many years ago, and out of ? maybe 50 starts iirc, only one plant survived. This momma plant is still living in a ditch here and yet I would say it is marginally hardy. I brought cuttings into the greenhouse and it became a large shrub and flowered etc. But then I planted it back out in the garden, and it is only a few little vines that creep along the ground. I have one back in the greenhouse though, so I'll be having lots to make tincture this summer.:)
temperate marine climate

worth1

Sat May 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Just finished that blasted job where I had to wear a hood surgical gloves and face mask all the time.
I can't express to you all how miserable it was, you cant see, you cant breath and your glasses stay fogged up all the time.
That and trying to crawl up and down ladders or run a scissor lift is a recipe for disaster.
You're doing physical labor here folks not walking the dog.
That and some but not all of the people that work there all the time treat us like we are contaminated, it gets on your nerves after awhile.
They wont get within 20 feet of you but will get right up in their co-workers space like no big deal.
This is because they announced the most people coming down with it now is construction workers.
If I ever have to go back to that place again it will be too soon.

Now what else was I gong to say?
Oh yes the south Side meat market BBQ here in Bastrop had a big sign up.
It said We're Smoken and We're Open.
Hats off to them they have had the drive through open all the time since this nightmare started.
Now they are open and cars are in the parking lot.
I dont eat there but many do and we need to get a little perspective on things.
If it fails it fails and we will back up and try again.
But honestly the places I have worked there is no need to be there but it has kept me in a job be it hazardous in the best of situations much less a virus.
Worth

Sue_CT

Sat May 16, 2020 7:36 pm

You have my sympathy, Worth. I wear gear all day, every time I enter a patient's room, and while my job is certainly physcial it is not on the level as yours.

worth1

Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 am

Dave Rubin interviewed Mike Rowe on the Rubin Report.
You can look it up on YouTube.
He had some interesting things to say.
Mike is the guy on dirty jobs.
I feel he is about the only person that represents the blue collar working men and women.
Worth

ddsack
Reactions: 99

Mon May 18, 2020 9:03 am

I was going to post this in the comedy forum, but it's really not a joke and I thought some might think it offensive there.

facemasks.jpg
facemasks.jpg (111.46 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Return to “Area 51”