How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
clara
Reactions: 165

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Mon May 18, 2020 3:41 pm

We have a cautious re-opening of many businesses (shops, cafés, restaurants, beer gardens etc.) with keeping distance, wearing masks (not for the guests, how should they eat or drink?), but for the waiters and before getting seated. As far as I know without any problems. What I find very interesting is that people don't rush into the cities or shops although they could. They leave their home for some time, but then return rather satisfied and don't abuse the possibility. But of course there are idiots, too. We had a few demonstrations again with brainless maniacs, seduced by the far right. Conspiracy theories have come up, to weird and harebrained to repeat.
per aspera ad astra

worth1
Reactions: 1081

Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 am

I heard it was a bunch of ultra rich billionaires trying to depopulate the earth since there wasn't enough time to go to another planet.
Makes for good reading in the sci fi section. :lol:
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Tue May 19, 2020 7:14 am

No @worth1 it's the government trying to get DNA samples through all of these nasal swabs.

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 344

Tue May 19, 2020 8:43 am

worth1 wrote:
I heard it was a bunch of ultra rich billionaires trying to depopulate the earth since there wasn't enough time to go to another planet.
Makes for good reading in the sci fi section. :lol:
The way we behave it's a good thing there's no access to planet B however, doesn't the US now have a Space Force?

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 154

Tue May 19, 2020 11:57 am

worth1 wrote:
I heard it was a bunch of ultra rich billionaires trying to depopulate the earth
That isn't exactly conspiracy theory. I never understood why Bill and Melinda Gates cared so much about African infant mortality. He was known as a ruthless businessman, and now he's mother Theresa? It turns out, as they themselves will eagerly tell you, the point of dropping the infant mortality rate was that women have fewer babies when they expect them all to live. The net effect was an overall reduction in the birth rate, and eventually the population, to which they were both just giddy about in interviews.

Now we have a crusader for reducing the world's population running a campaign to develop a virus vaccine? It just doesn't add up to me. I don't trust Bill Gates.

Sue_CT
Reactions: 388

Tue May 19, 2020 1:03 pm

There is a huuuge monetary aspect to anyone but especially to the first one to devlop a safe and effective vaccine. I trust most people to go after the bottom line when it benefits them. What don't trust is in the race to be that first one to take advantage of the COVID fear around the world, that they will be sure that it is really safe and effective before marketing it.

worth1

Tue May 19, 2020 1:19 pm

I just can't help but consider all the recalls after extensive testing.
Much less a fast track drugs.
Worth

GoDawgs
Reactions: 482

Tue May 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Growing Coastal wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:43 am
The way we behave it's a good thing there's no access to planet B however, doesn't the US now have a Space Force?
Yes, we do. Unfortunately the art of war has moved into space. Already the Russians have moved several satellites into orbits synchronous with one of our communication satellites just to show us they have the ability to destroy it if they wanted to. The Chinese have been working on a satellite killer for a while now and blown up several of their own old ones in the testing. We have to have both defensive and offensive capability.

Bower
Reactions: 649

Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm

It is a sad fact that money can be made from selling a drug that doesn't work or has bad (even fatal) side effects, even if you are criminally charged and forced to pay huge fines. The corporate structure gives nobody any personal liability. The reason for corporate existence is to profit as much as possible. I shudder that there are people for whom, causing deaths may just be the cost of doing their business for the "corporation".

Re: conspiracy theories, I find this kind of speculation a bit hard to understand. Critical thinking was drilled into us kids in my family. We were expected to think for ourselves. I know a guy who is all about the conspiracies. As far as I can figure it, he just wants to take a skeptical stand on everything that comes his way, and the more far out the 'alternative' explanations, the better he likes them. He isn't concerned about what makes sense, he just likes the wildest thing out there. :roll: I believe this came from a background where they were never taught or encouraged to think for themselves. They were told to believe something without any proof, even if it made no sense. He seems to be stuck in an adolescent rebellion, where he picks his own random beliefs instead...

Some years ago I happened on the format for reports used by some branch of the security intelligence world. The report was divided into three parts: (1) What we know (2) What we don't know and (3) What we think about it.
Anyone who used this format to analyze their own beliefs would come away with a better grasp of reality. The exercise alone of separating what we do and don't know and what we believe about that, is a good place to go if you have serious doubts as to what you should believe, or whether your thoughts are reasonable or not so much. I still go back to this, just to clarify in my own mind, where I stand on doubtful issues.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1

Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm

@Bower
It really does boil down to what people want to believe and what is really the truth.
There is no way to change peoples minds sometimes.
I give real facts and information to these folks and then walk away, there really is no choice about it.
If I hear their side of the story and they don't want to hear mine I walk away faster.
Worth

habitat-gardener
Reactions: 29

Wed May 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Bower wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm
...Some years ago I happened on the format for reports used by some branch of the security intelligence world. The report was divided into three parts: (1) What we know (2) What we don't know and (3) What we think about it.
Anyone who used this format to analyze their own beliefs would come away with a better grasp of reality. The exercise alone of separating what we do and don't know and what we believe about that, is a good place to go if you have serious doubts as to what you should believe, or whether your thoughts are reasonable or not so much. I still go back to this, just to clarify in my own mind, where I stand on doubtful issues.
Wonderful! Bringing this back to the original topic, I was playing Crack the Case with friends on zoom a few days ago. It was really interesting that I had to keep telling one of my friends, "you're making assumptions" (about the facts so far revealed in these fictional cases). Interesting because this friend seems to jump to conclusions in real life, and seems to not pay attention to fine details.

worth1

Wed May 20, 2020 4:48 pm

I heard they want to open up summer school.
Could this be a disaster?
Worth

slugworth
Reactions: 22

Wed May 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Went to stop&shop today and they didn't have the one way arrows on the floor anymore.
They also opened up the bottle return room.

Sue_CT

Wed May 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Well, I do need to return bottles...

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Thu May 21, 2020 8:23 am

I got an e-mail from my dentist's office and they are re-opening. The e-mail said that the toys for kids in the waiting area will no longer be available because they are too difficult to keep sanitized. I was wondering about daycare facilities and how they would handle this when they open.

My DIL works for a daycare facility and they are debating how to handle re-opening. The CDC has presented some guidelines, but these kids are always touching everything and each other. I don't see how they can possibly avoid sharing infections. My DIL did say that they are making up "tool kits" for each child with their own personal crayons and other items but I still wonder how safe it will be to have children in daycare.

slugworth
Reactions: 22

Thu May 21, 2020 11:21 am

I would avoid daycare.
Kids are sticking stuff in their mouths all the time.
Not worth killing the parents over.

Bower
Reactions: 649

Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 pm

I read an analysis of how well different measures have worked throughout the world. The single most important factor to reduce infection rates was closing schools. The analysis suggested closing schools plus any one other measure (masks, distance etc) would reduce infections by a substantial percent.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Sue_CT

Thu May 21, 2020 8:09 pm

Little petri dishes with legs, lol.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 154

Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Bower wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 pm
I read an analysis of how well different measures have worked throughout the world.
It seems that cooped up small spaces where people share the same air without fresh air coming in, those spots get it the worst. Planes, ships, meat packing plants, and a lot of aspects of city life like mass transit.

Places that can't get fresh air would I think benefit greatly from having uv air sterilizers. I am building one right now, as soon as my parts arrive. It is a bulb that emits uvc light. It is very bad for people to be directly exposed, so the light has to be enclosed and air circulated over it. Uvc has been shown to very effectively kill viral matter. New York city has started using uv bulbs to sterilize subway cars when they sit empty overnight. I think these uv sterilizers are the next big thing. There are already fake ones on amazon and ebay. People sell purple leds and call it uvc.

Sue_CT

Thu May 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Ventilation helps, and what helps even more is masking in combination with social distancing. But that cuts down how fast they can process meat and therefore profits. Cities also have high population density and the combination of densely packed humans and enclosed spaces is deadly when it comes to something like this. The virus isn't going anywhere, but the distancing and masks in combination with people being outside more and not in confined spaces will help limit it for a bit. Watch out for the return of people in enclosed, heated spaces when it gets cold again.

Return to “Area 51”