How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
worth1
Reactions: 1081

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Sat May 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Sue_CT wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 am
Worth, it is neither speculation, nor computer modeling, it is the actual number of confirmed cases being reported. No one knows exactly how much is due to increased testing finding more cases and how much is due to the virus spreading at least in part due to the reponening, but it is probably both. When you have that many cases and people are not masking and keeping their distance, it is just inevitable that it WILL spread. The recommendation was for states to try a gradual reopening after they demonstrated 2 weeks of declining numbers, but many have refused to wait for that, and the outcomes will likely show the difference between which states did and which ones didn't.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-cases-c ... d=70720497
I and others like are only recipients of what the powers that be decide to do nothing else.
One thing is for certain for the people sitting at home making more money than they were at work time is running out.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

worth1

Sat May 23, 2020 12:41 pm

brownrexx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 pm
Thought that I was going to get beat up at the grocery store this morning!

I went in and got a few items that we needed and headed for the express lines. I was being careful to stand behind the yellow social distancing line when some man who was a head taller and 50 lbs heavier than me says in a really nasty voice "the line is back here" and points behind him.

I said no, there are 2 lines and I point to the big sign that says FORM 2 LINES and there are arrows pointing to the 2 checkout counters.

He then proceeds to yell that the line was way behind him when he got there and there was no way to form 2 lines.

There was no one behind him at this point so I say OK, feel free to go in front of me as I pointed to the line on my side.

He gets even more loud and says NO, I WILL WAIT FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE CASHIER !!!!

I said "I'm really sorry that you are so hostile" and then he yells "I am not hostile you are rude" and he stomps to the cashier.

After I checked out a lady from another line comes up to me and says "I want to apologize for that man. I hope that he didn't ruin your day. He is probably just upset about all that is going on. She said that everyone in the store could hear him and that I didn't do anything wrong.

I thanked her for being so nice and it really did make me feel better. I didn't think that I was doing anything wrong and I really thought that he was going to attack me.

In case you don't know this, I am a woman and I think that it's doubly strange that a big man would verbally attack a smaller woman in a grocery store. He acted like a total nutcase and was super aggressive.

People are getting desperate.
No some people are jerks you ran across one and yes I knew you were a woman.
If I would have been there things might have been different because I have a reputation for standing up for people in public.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions: 388

Sat May 23, 2020 12:46 pm

sorry that happened to you, brownrexx. Many stores around here have gone to a single line in the middle of the store and then when a cashier is free they tell the next person in line to go ahead. But it can be confusing if some do and some don't and now that we are opening up the ones that did don't always still do it now. So he was probably really trying to follow what he thought the rules were, and so were you, but you just had different understandings of the rules. That does not excuse his behavior. But he might be dealing with a loved one who is sick or be high risk and scared himself or who knows what else. Hopefully most people will be nice when they remind people.

Yesterday I went to Friendly's with my Mother who will be 80 in August, who I have not been close to since this started because of the risk to her. She was getting mad because I said something a couple of times. One man showed up without a mask to go into the small enclosed area to order take out, with no mask. When I said I think a mask is required he put his TShirt over his mouth. When a group of teenagers with masks went into the small room with my mother right next to her, I said to her "I guess they don't know about the 6 foot rule" and they were very good and moved back. She was mad. "They just wanted to read the sign like me" Like if you are reading a sign, it is a virus free zone and the rules don't apply. THen I licked a bit of ice cream off my finger and she reminded me that that was not good because I had been touching things. I thanked her for the reminder, she was right, and used some antibacterial gel. We all are going to need reminding to follow good practices for a while if we want to stay healthy, and that is especially important for people at high risk, but hopefully we can remind each other without being nasty about it. If someone catches me doing something I shouldn't and says something I am going to try to do as I did with my Mother and thank them instead of getting mad. It would be nice if more people could adopt that attitude. We are all probably going to slip up at one time or another.

Sue_CT

Sat May 23, 2020 1:01 pm

worth1 wrote:
I and others like are only recipients of what the powers that be decide to do nothing else.
One thing is for certain for the people sitting at home making more money than they were at work time is running out.
I think that is only partially true, Worth. People mighit have to go to work but the rest they definitely do have a choice about. Just because they can go to shopping malls and restaurants and bars, etc. does not mean they have to. Just because someone is not required to wear a mask in a public place does not mean they can't. There is quite a bit of personal responsibility, courtesy and choice involved. There is no way to know who can be spreading it without symptoms and who will start devoloping symptoms tomorrow and is spreading the virus around today. People who care about others will take precautions. By the way, they say the mask does also provide the wearer with a small amount of protection, but the most protection is provided to those around the one wearing it. The people who are high risk and want to protect themselves should use whatever protection they can even if others don't. I don't believe much in the powerless victim attitude. We can't control everything but we can certainly control our own actions.

worth1

Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Sue_CT wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:01 pm
worth1 wrote:
I think that is only partially true, Worth. People mighit have to go to work but the rest they definitely do have a choice about. Just because they can go to shopping malls and restaurants and bars, etc. does not mean they have to. Just because someone is not required to wear a mask in a public place does not mean they can't. There is quite a bit of personal responsibility, courtesy and choice involved. There is no way to know who can be spreading it without symptoms and who will start devoloping symptoms tomorrow and is spreading the virus around today. People who care about others will take precautions. By the way, they say the mask does also provide the wearer with a small amount of protection, but the most protection is provided to those around the one wearing it. The people who are high risk and want to protect themselves should use whatever protection they can even if others don't. I don't believe much in the powerless victim attitude. We can't control everything but we can certainly control our own actions.
I have worn seat belts before it was the law.
I never drove around town drinking beer when it was okay and I always wear a helmet on a motorcycle.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 pm

Sue_CT wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:46 pm
So he was probably really trying to follow what he thought the rules were, and so were you, but you just had different understandings of the rules. That does not excuse his behavior.
That's right, no excuses for his behavior. He was standing directly in front of a big black sign with white letters on a pedestal that said FORM 2 LINES with arrows pointing to each side. I pointed out the sign to him but he still was enraged that I had the nerve to get in a second line.

I do not expect special treatment as a woman but as I thought about this later, most decent men would not act so threatening to a woman. Especially when he was a lot bigger than me. I am sure that he was already upset about something else but I actually thought that he might attack me.

2 weeks ago DH drove me to a doctor's appointment and he had to stop at the bottom of a ramp to enter another road. There was oncoming traffic and no merge lane so he had to stop. The guy behind up flips out and after we pulled out, he roars around us on a double yellow line and puts his entire arm out of his window giving us the finger the whole time.

People are going nuts I think.

Bower
Reactions: 649

Sat May 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Here on the island we have now been two full weeks with no new cases. There are not many active cases remaining. The weather is improving slowly, and the authorities are slowly relaxing the restrictions - very slowly. A travel ban is in place, anyone travelling here must apply for an exemption. This is being challenged in court, but since they already approved about 1200 exemptions, I don't see the point. Seems like the ban is mainly just allowing them to keep tabs on who comes and goes. That way if or when there's an outbreak, they should have no trouble to trace it.

I agree with @rxkeith that it's important to keep an open mind and consider alternative POV. I pretty much have given our authorities the benefit of the doubt, and gladly follow their directions as to what we should or must do.
In the meantime looking around at other countries where things have been done differently, we can't help wondering if there was an alternative to the lockdown that would have less impact on the economy. I think for some the answer may be yes, but there is a big gamble in that when you look at places that got into a runaway situation - Italy, Spain, New York, Brazil. I would not want to live in that situation nor face the horror of so much sickness and death, so I'm glad we didn't gamble on that. But thinking about Sweden as the one I know of, where there was no lockdown and measures were voluntary, but they still didn't have the severe outbreak situation as others. I read that keeping things open did not stop the economy from suffering though, but I don't know any details on that and maybe the story is not all told yet. Also they did have bad outbreaks in seniors homes, and their death rate is about 4X that of Germany. So that is a price which I'm glad we didn't have to pay.
I know for sure the economic impact if you have an uncontrolled epidemic is very bad. Plus you have the horror of so many deaths and so much illness. With the lockdown we also are looking at a hard economic hit, but at least we kept the deaths to a minimum. Even better in places where seniors/long term care homes were actually protected (still horrified about these outbreaks). But it's fair to question, could we have kept some business open and still accomplished the goal of minimal death. I don't think any of our leaders had a clear plan for how we were to handle the pandemic and the economy when it all went down. Uncharted waters.
One thing that's been really bugging me, I am not seeing all the necessary moves to build a 'pandemic-friendly' economy by supporting the shift to online shopping instead of in-store. Canada Post is just AWOL. :x Yes I accepted the crazy delays in the first month since we had an outbreak at the post here. But here we are more than 2 months in and they are not doing their job. Paying for expedited you expect some effort to be close to the delivery guarantee. NO WAY. I had seed potatoes shipped to me April 30, with expected delivery May 13. No sign of it. They updated their tracking page to ask people not to call, because they have no further information than what is on the page. Evidently they're overwhelmed with calls. :roll:
So my question is, why aren't they expanding as they obviously need to, and fill the shoes that are needed for an economy that relies more on shipping than on shopping? :evil: Shipping is/should be a huge opportunity in the pandemic economy. This won't be over in another month. Why isn't this fixed already, and some who lost their jobs could be working in shipping, while those who lost their shops or can't make enough at reduced volume, would be reducing their overhead by going to online market instead?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

zeuspaul
Reactions: 17

Sat May 23, 2020 9:34 pm

An interesting read

The Hateful 8 Seed Oils. Dr. Cate comments on our immune system. https://drcate.com/the-hateful-eight-en ... ur-health/

Most of the folks under 65 who have to be admitted to the ICU are there because their body fat is full of inflammation-promoting high-PUFA seed oils. In other words, if seed oils were removed from the equation, then there would be nobody under 65 in the ICU unless they’ve got a rare immune deficiency disorder or are in the middle of chemo for cancer or have something else very serious that’s going on.

clara
Reactions: 165

Thu May 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Great, really great relief today! My daughter had been tested for the virus because all of a sudden, she had got a bad cough and headaches and felt miserably - and she had been with us the day before... Only in the garden and with a lot of distance, much more than ordered. She is a teacher and is working partly from at home and partly at school, so she COULD have caught the infection there although the number of infected persons in our small town is very low (4), but how many unknown/unreported cases there are can only be guessed. Anyway, the test was negative! Hurrah!
per aspera ad astra

worth1

Thu May 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Clara in 5 days it may be positive.
Sorry to say this but it is true.
The test is less than 50% accurate.
I hope it continues to be negative for hers and everyone sake.
As for me they are having a company picnic in one month I'm not going, I never go to company gatherings but for sure not now.
My philosophy on this is if I'm not being paid I'm not going.
Sounds crappy but that is the way I have always been.'
The idea of playing tug of war and all the other silly team building BS ideas these folks come up with is beyond me.
Then to do this in the middle of a pandemic is just stupid.
Yes I love my country I am a patriot and I love my flag but I'm not an idiot.
I have to take my chances every day at work as it is just to keep my bills paid.
Worth

clara

Thu May 28, 2020 4:30 pm

What you say about the test, Worth, may be correct for the US, but not for Germany. We have tests that show to 99% if a test is positive or not. And if even the sputum was tested, you can be totally sure...
per aspera ad astra

Sue_CT

Thu May 28, 2020 4:41 pm

There is more than one test and reliability partially depends on the lab processing it. The one hour "rapid" tes is the least reliable with frequest false negatives, but the one you have wait for, usually 1-3 days, is more accurate but last heard still only about 70%. I haven't gotten an update from our infectious diseae team in several weeks so they probably have a better idea now than they did last at the last update. Yours could also be different because they are not the tests developed in the U.S. and on this particular test our reliability has been dismal compared to other countries. REALLY wish they hadn't refused the tests offered by the WHO early on.

clara

Thu May 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Really agree, Sue! My daughter was tested on Monday, with the result today (Thursday).
per aspera ad astra

worth1

Thu May 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Seriously!!!!
I made a post to Clara submitted it and it is gone.
But while I am here why even have a test that is that inaccurate in the first place other than to make money.
This is like saying 2 plus 2 is 4 only a certain percentage of the time.
Positive doesn't mean positive it means maybe.
Negative doesn't mean negative it means possibly.
Somethings afoot and you're gonna have to dig deep in the cellar to find the rats.
Worth

Sue_CT

Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Because it is better than nothing. 70% accurate is better than 0% accurate. IF we can take 70% of the people who are positive and isolate them we won't stop the virus but we will definately slow it down. Because of the high rate of false negatives many nursing homes and rehabs wanted 2 negatives before accepting a patient. Chances of two false negatives are even lower but even that happens on occassion. Everyone who is tested is placed on isolation until the test comes back. They then look at other lab results, and see if there are others characteristic for COVID. If there are, they continue to isolate and retest. If all looks negative they will dc isolation. It is not just a one test thing. You look at everthing together and say, if the COVID test is negative but it still looks suspicious, don't rely on it. If everthing looks negative, you are probably ok.

worth1

Fri May 29, 2020 6:32 am

In the middle of a pandemic they are having riots and burning stuff to the ground.
I honestly think the pandemic is a player in this to some degree.
This is insane and I hope it doesn't spread.
Worth

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 344

Fri May 29, 2020 9:20 am

America has been there before, historically and will survive all this, too.

brownrexx
Reactions: 432

Fri May 29, 2020 10:04 am

Yes, I am sure that burning and looting will solve the problem and get justice for all.

mikestuff49
Reactions: 168

Fri May 29, 2020 10:50 am

I think we are drifting off topic.
The best things in life---are not things.

worth1

Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am

No I didn't mean for it to do that, I think the stress of everything going on has lent at least some of the reason this event has happened.
That is what I said in the beginning and that is how I feel.
How the virus is effecting me and other people.
Worth

Return to “Area 51”